electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Arp 4072 VCF Bleedthrough Fix
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
negativspace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Arp 4072 VCF Bleedthrough Fix
Subject description: Clarification of instructions needed!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yves,

I built one of these for a fellow over on Muffwiggler's and we're trying to fix the bleedthrough issue. He forwarded me some instructions you gave him, quoted here:

"The cure is to replace the resonance potentiometer by a dual gang model. Connecting the CW lugs in parallel, the CCW lugs in parallel, and one wiper lug connected to the normal resonance circuit while the other wiper lug connected to the R43 resistor."

I am unclear on one thing - when you say 'connect to R43' do you mean in place of R43, or to its input leg, or to its output leg? Thank you!
dstrength

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you're just replacing the T-connection on the schematic..so looking at the schematic, remove the T and tie the left side of R43 to the other wiper.
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I am back home.

I mean "connect to" not "replace", this means unsolder the left leg of R43, solder a wire this leg and connect this wire to the wiper lug of the second potentiometer of the dual-gang pot.

negativspace

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perfect. Thanks for the clarification! Thanks to dstrength for the help too. I'm out of town on business right now but I will assemble the module next week and report back. Very Happy
negativspace

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This seems to do the trick. It absolutely kills the bleedthrough and seems to leave the low end intact at high resonance. The resonance control response is altered slightly - self-osc seems to come in differently - but it's neither more- or less-usable... just different. It still sings beautifully in self-oscillation and tracks my entire 5-octave keyboard. Very Happy

Thanks again.
yusynth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

negativspace wrote:
This seems to do the trick. It absolutely kills the bleedthrough and seems to leave the low end intact at high resonance. The resonance control response is altered slightly - self-osc seems to come in differently - but it's neither more- or less-usable... just different. It still sings beautifully in self-oscillation and tracks my entire 5-octave keyboard. Very Happy

Thanks again.

Fine then, I will add a note at my site.

Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
I did the fix and now the bleedthrough is gone.
Thank you Yves!!!

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback !

I will publish this mod then Cool

djfill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys...

I think I have the 'Bleedthrough' issue and just wanted to confim the symptoms with someone before I try this fix.

When I set the frequency to 0 and increase the reasonance, i can still hear the waveform slightly. Is this bleedthrough? (The answer seems obvious when i put it like this but I just want clarification before i start making a mess of my board.)

Thanks.
yusynth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfill wrote:
Hi Guys...

I think I have the 'Bleedthrough' issue and just wanted to confim the symptoms with someone before I try this fix.

When I set the frequency to 0 and increase the reasonance, i can still hear the waveform slightly. Is this bleedthrough? (The answer seems obvious when i put it like this but I just want clarification before i start making a mess of my board.)

Thanks.

You answered yourself

Yves

djfill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
djfill wrote:
Hi Guys...

Thanks.

You answered yourself

Yves

I thought so...thanks Yves! (congrats on the new synth btw...looks great!)
sylvainmoreau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry i prefer to do a drawing because my english is missing some words here ..
is that correct ?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

sylvainmoreau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Up ?
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes you got it right
Pilastik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

viewing your drawings cw(3/6) will go on the right side and ccw(1/4) will go on the left
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fixed mine too , thanks for sharing ,the resonance seems nicer this way Very Happy
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello Yves,
can you please further explain your statement ?

"The cure is to replace the resonance potentiometer by a dual gang model. Connecting the CW lugs in parallel, the CCW lugs in parallel, and one wiper lug connected to the normal resonance circuit while the other wiper lug connected to the R43 resistor."

what's the " normal resonance circuit " the second wiper lug has to be connected to?

thanks
yusynth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check the drawing six messages above (sylvainmoreau...
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry Yves,
i've been trying to get my head around that diagram, but no, i can't seem to figure it out. CW and CWW are clear.
However, two wires are attached to the wiper. One goes to the R43 (the yellow one).
What about the blue wire (wiper). Where does it connect to the real circuit?

thanks ! scratch

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.12 KB
 Viewed:  268 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2.png

yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there it is

t_2_353.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.74 KB
 Viewed:  16548 Time(s)

t_2_353.png

alanwilder81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Yves,

so, one wire from the wiper goes to the unsoldered left leg of R43.
And the second wire from the wiper goes to the point i circled in red, so that it closes the circuit ,right? Embarassed Embarassed
excuse the dumb questions, i hope i got it right this time ! Smile

yu.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.55 KB
 Viewed:  276 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

yu.png

yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes that's correct
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot, Yves, for sharing with us this wonderful filter and for your technical help. That s priceless !! Smile Smile
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yves,
can you please get me the ARP 4072 schematics you originally drew ? i mean the schematics before the dual pot modification.
many thanks!
yusynth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The old schemo is there : http://yusynth.net/Modular/Commun/ARPVCF/ARP-4072-sch.jpg
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: