electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2011 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i like the clear panel , great stuff.
Spacehardware

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks rosch,
I'm intending to build and sell this as a ready made synth in small volumes (to supplement the meagre income from my day job ), so no plans to make the code available.

But happy to answer any questions, and grateful for the feedback received.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this looks and sounds beautiful. Great work.

Spacehardware wrote:
Another year, another synth...
Just completed a wavetable synth module.

And uploaded a couple of videos:

Enjoyed Synth DIY UK last weekend BTW Smile
(Crawls back into the woodwork for another year).
darkomen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished a MFOS Soundlab Minisynth!
Everything seems to be in working order except for the AR generator, which doesn't seem to act quite right.

soundlab_minisynth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1010.99 KB
 Viewed:  1986 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

soundlab_minisynth.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

darkomen wrote:
Finished a MFOS Soundlab Minisynth!
Everything seems to be in working order except for the AR generator, which doesn't seem to act quite right.

You'll have hours of fun with this Smile http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39555.html , and i heartily reccomend blue colours on diy synths & gold , heh Smile

Great work , hope you iron out the A/R fault , usually something simple.

Dave.
MirlitronOne

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, high time I unveiled the project that has been keeping me occupied for the last 18 months - behold The Mightier Mirlitzer (I prematurely named my Sound Lab 'The Mighty Mirlitzer' and now have to go one better):

AllCabsS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.58 KB
 Viewed:  2046 Time(s)

AllCabsS.jpg

MirlitronOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The design criteria for 'The Mightier Mirlitzer' are as follows:

1. Keep it simple. Some of the modules are primitive but effective.

2. Each cabinet is approximately two feet wide and accommodates 8.75" (5U) panels. Standard panel widths are in multiples of inches (2" is the norm).

3. Each cabinet contains its own individual power supply giving +/- 12V at 1A (12V transformers are easier to find surplus than 15V ones). A power supply failure will only take out one cabinet, and each supply is sufficiently overrated to power a second cabinet in an emergency. In a REAL emergency, two 12V gel cells will do the job.

4. Each cabinet can play autonomously, containing at least one 'player' module (sequencer, pattern generator, S&H etc.) and at least one oscillator. Thus, individual cabinets can be extracted for demonstration or live use.

5. The MM is DIY down to the component level. Each module is built on stripboard or homebrew PCB. You can see that the front panels are colour-coded and no expense has been spent.

6. I have a 2' 6" wide gap between desks in my tiny home studio, in which fits a cheap veneered TV table. The MM is being erected vertically upwards from there. I figure I have room for six or maybe seven cabinets at a pinch. Two-and-a-half are filled (see photos); one will be a big sequencer and another one will be a Lunetta, offering both sound and timing signals for the rest of the monster, as well as operating stand-alone.

7. Eventually, the MM will meet the definition of a 'monster synthesizer', namely, if it falls on me, it will cause death or at least serious injury. Twisted Evil

Cab1LS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.72 KB
 Viewed:  1943 Time(s)

Cab1LS.jpg

Cab1RS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.74 KB
 Viewed:  1943 Time(s)

Cab1RS.jpg

Cab2LS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.7 KB
 Viewed:  1956 Time(s)

Cab2LS.jpg

Cab2RS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.19 KB
 Viewed:  1933 Time(s)

Cab2RS.jpg

Cab3LS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.03 KB
 Viewed:  1975 Time(s)

Cab3LS.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MirlitronOne wrote:
...behold The Mightier Mirlitzer...

Love it! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MirlitronOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I used quarter-inch jacks because they're cheap, robust, reliable, compatible with everything else in the studio, and you can buy ready-made patch cords cheaply in a variety of lengths and colours. After all, who would want a black synthesizer? Wink

On the other hand, the Lunetta will use phono connectors. They're cheap, robust, small and can be connected with a bare wire and a matchstick in an emergency...

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that sure is puurty!

Quote:
On the other hand, the Lunetta will use phono connectors. They're cheap, robust, small and can be connected with a bare wire and a matchstick in an emergency...

yes , wish i had thought of using those first up.
bod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not technically finished as such, but i'm proud of my efforts so far and just got the prototype pcb's back from the fab house.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and populated it today.

its an analogue dub siren i built for a few friends, based around the amdek PCK-100 and the DS7. resettable LFO, Tri/Sqr wave VCO, decay envelope generator and VCA. i used the other half of the lm13700 to use as a voltage control for the VCO instead of it going to waste. the strip board version worked a treat so i'm keen to finish this to see how it holds up!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished Scott Bernardi's VC Delay circuit. So much fun so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W17-Z0nMmx4

DSCF0563.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  668.74 KB
 Viewed:  1818 Time(s)

DSCF0563.JPG

DSCF0564.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  948.78 KB
 Viewed:  1809 Time(s)

DSCF0564.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MirlitronOne wrote:
After all, who would want a black synthesizer? Wink

that's exactly what I love about it,. the colors. Not that I don't like black,
but there's something about the combination of the colors, incl the knobs,
that I really like. It's like it brings back some sort of memory but I don't
know what memory. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
umschmitt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bod wrote:
its an analogue dub siren i built for a few friends, based around the amdek PCK-100 and the DS7. resettable LFO, Tri/Sqr wave VCO, decay envelope generator and VCA. i used the other half of the lm13700 to use as a voltage control for the VCO instead of it going to waste. the strip board version worked a treat so i'm keen to finish this to see how it holds up!

That looks splendid ! I'm at the moment trying to expand my ol'DS7 (adding sq. wave, filter w/ CV/LFO/EG, additional EG, routable audio modulation, tri/sq. LFO ao) but I'm definitely in another league :
(but it works !)

XCenter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:

Coooool artwork. How do you label the panel?

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.fmdelight.de/
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCenter wrote:
inlifeindeath wrote:

Coooool artwork. How do you label the panel?

Thanks! That's my dog Boris in the picture. I actually used the same toner transfer method that I use to etch circuit boards and panels. I just printed out the reverse image from a laser printer on to a piece of magazine paper. Then ironed it on the piece of sanded smooth aluminum. Threw on a couple layers of clear coat and it turned out pretty well. Not as deep of black as I wanted but I like it.

bod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
bod wrote:

That looks splendid ! I'm at the moment trying to expand my ol'DS7 (adding sq. wave, filter w/ CV/LFO/EG, additional EG, routable audio modulation, tri/sq. LFO ao) but I'm definitely in another league :
(but it works !)

thank you!! but we all start somewhere! i'm just a bit of a nerd who likes to design stuff, and your mods are easily accomplishable with the DS7. i just looked at your thread and reckon my changes would work pretty well for what you need for the envelope trigger section. i'll finish this prototype board and if it all works how the strip board did then i'll post the schematic for any one who wants it. everything i've learnt has been from here, and all the other synth freaks who are decent enough to share their work so i'm more than happy to do the same!
the gate to trigger circuit works nicely but the lfo reset might get a few questionable looks from folk... however it does what i want! Very Happy with a few component changes and jumpers it'll make a nice drum module as well.

should hopefully be done by the end of the week if i get time away from decorating the house and all the other things life throws in the way! Laughing
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fritz D-well chaos & 5Pulser & multiples module.

Hello , here are some sounds from these great circuits from Ian Fritz, i use the 5Pulser alot in my recent music & the chaos sometimes for unusual lfo type modulations.

Dave.

Dwell chaos & 5Pulser.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.81 KB
 Viewed:  1842 Time(s)

Dwell chaos & 5Pulser.JPG

5Pulser & sequencer & lfos.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  5Pulser & sequencer & lfos.mp3
 Filesize:  4.27 MB
 Downloaded:  2689 Time(s)

d-well chaos & 2 vcos.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  d-well chaos & 2 vcos.mp3
 Filesize:  2.09 MB
 Downloaded:  2689 Time(s)

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MirlitronOne wrote:
Okay, high time I unveiled the project that has been keeping me occupied for the last 18 months - behold The Mightier Mirlitzer (I prematurely named my Sound Lab 'The Mighty Mirlitzer' and now have to go one better):

Impressive synth you have there , good work & nice and colorful .
Do you use lots of multiples or did you build mini mixers into the designs ??

Dave.
bod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skrog: that 5pulser sequener and lfo sampler is amazing! Shocked Very Happy
umschmitt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bod wrote:
i'll finish this prototype board and if it all works how the strip board did then i'll post the schematic for any one who wants it. everything i've learnt has been from here, and all the other synth freaks who are decent enough to share their work so i'm more than happy to do the same!
the gate to trigger circuit works nicely but the lfo reset might get a few questionable looks from folk... however it does what i want! Very Happy with a few component changes and jumpers it'll make a nice drum module as well.

Well THAT IS COOL.

Quote:
should hopefully be done by the end of the week if i get time away from decorating the house and all the other things life throws in the way! Laughing

I know what you mean. Today was mezzanine task force !

sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished my TR-808 clone after planning it on and off over the last 5 years. Took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do for the case.

First test, only one take:

http://soundcloud.com/sneakthief/first-mb-808-test

...all you hear is 808. The tones are from self-oscillating congas.

mods:

- white noise level
- snare decay
- snare filter
- clap offset
- clap reverb amount
- maraca filter
- rimshot filter
- cowbell tuning x2
- open hat filter
- closed hat filter
- white & pink noise input jacks (not used in this demo)
- schmitt trigger input jacks (not used in this demo)
- self-oscillation of congas when the decay is set all the way

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
Finished my TR-808 clone...

YOU WHAT?!
wow!
That's simply amazing looking...sounds pretty f--ing good, too!

sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In 2007 a guy made a few dozen pcb's that married the original 808 sounds with a wicked MIDIbox sequencer: http://ucapps.de/midibox_808.html

...and http://eight-oh-eight.org/

People have been waiting for Batch 3 for a couple years now. It'll probably happen, but no guarantees!

frequencycentral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: