electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Cookie crumbles anyone?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Modularmind

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Cookie crumbles anyone?
Subject description: A mash up of OTO Machine's Biscuit and WMD's Geiger Counter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two intriguing boxes that’s been on my wish list for a while is Biscuit by OTO Machines and the Geiger Counter by WMD. For those of you not familiar with them, they both focus on the sort of crunchy sound you get from bit reduction, but with different approaches. I tried replicating them on the G2 and came up with…well, not so satisfying results for different reasons. But I took what I think is the best pieces of both replicas and put them into one single patch that suited the G2 sound/modules and the interface better. I've also tried fine tuning the "gain stages" and overdrive circuitry. I'm quite happy with the result. It have satisfied some of my appetite for the sound of sweet, crunchy crumbles… Hope you like it!

I've tried my best to make the interface as logical and fast worked as possible. These are the paramater assignments:

A1:1 – Ovderdrive/PreAmp gain before the bit reduction
A1:2 – Drive/gain level after the bit reduction into the wave shaper
A1:3 – Sample rate reduction
A1:4 – Bit masking (smoother bit reduction than with the digitizer module)
A1:5 – Filter frequency
A1:6 – Filter resonance
A1:7 – Dry/Naked sound level
A1:8 – Wet/Dressed sound level

A2:1 – Wave shaper on/off
A2:2 – Wave shape selection
A2:3 – Filter type (LP/BP/HP/BR)
A2:5 – Bit reduction bypass
A2:7 – Clock divider (sets the speed of the sequencer modulating the filter)
A2:8 – Filter sequencer on/off

A3:1 – A3:8 – Offset setting for each of the 8 steps in the filter sequencer

E1:1 – E1:8 – Settings for the noise gate and input/output

/Mm

CookieCrumbler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  875.76 KB
 Viewed:  854 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CookieCrumbler.jpg

Cookie Crumbler.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Cookie Crumbler.pch2
 Filesize:  4.31 KB
 Downloaded:  4387 Time(s)

grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!! I've been getting some really aggressive bass tones out of this. Thanks!
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at the bit masking part of your patch (on the jpg, not loaded it up yet). Is that providing you with stages of bit reduction between say 7 bit and 6 bit?

If so that is smart, I take it sounds better than just using the bit quantization in the digitizer?

Have you tried using the SeqCTR module to do wave shaping? It might help get you more of the WMD style processing.

If you prepare the signal before you send it into the seqctr, e.g. make it positive only and use a mixer to scale it down to say 25%.. It means you can just use say the first 4 sequencer levels to create your waveshaping, easier than trying to use all 16. I found that using 9 seq steps tended to produce the best results whilst still keeping it easy to use.

Anyway I've been meaning to load this patch up, so I'll try it tonight and thanks for posting.

Smile

Modularmind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
Looking at the bit masking part of your patch (on the jpg, not loaded it up yet). Is that providing you with stages of bit reduction between say 7 bit and 6 bit?

Yeah, it does. I don't completely grasp how yet, but it does. You can lower the resolution in finer increments (128 of them) so you can fine tune the bit reduction much more than with the digitizer. I've been on a quest to try to understand the concept of bitmasking in this thread: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-344560.html#344560

iPassenger wrote:
Have you tried using the SeqCTR module to do wave shaping? It might help get you more of the WMD style processes.

If you prepare the signal before you send it into the seqctr, e.g. make it positive only and use a mixer to scale it down to say 25%.. It means you can just use say the first 4 sequencer levels to create your waveshaping, easier than trying to use all 16. I found that using 9 seq steps tended to produce the best results whilst still keeping it easy to use.

I have tried the SeqCTR module for custom wave shaping, but I had trouble "tuning" the "gain stages" to make it sound right. I will give it another try. I did get some tasty and unusual harmonics out of it. And I'm going to try using a mixer like you suggest.

iPassenger wrote:
I've been meaning to load this patch up, so I'll try it tonight and thanks for posting.
Smile

Thanks for the feedback!!
iPassenger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch above is really cool.. Got some great sounds from it running the MD and Octatrack through it.. Got a good recording but ended up clipping it so I'll do it again..

Also I'll knock up an example of that seqctr module I was on about for waveshaping tomorrow night and add it to this thread.. I thought I might have already posted it but it doesn't look like I have.

iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like the attached:

It only uses the first 9 steps to shape the signal, you could of course use more.

If you keep step 5 at zero you avoid a DC offset but sometimes it is nice to have one, so just gate the output.

I've filled the 8 vars with different shapes, with 1 sort of bypassing it.

Custom Shaper.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.44 KB
 Viewed:  17164 Time(s)

Custom Shaper.jpg

Custom Shape.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Custom Shape.pch2
 Filesize:  1.29 KB
 Downloaded:  4465 Time(s)

Modularmind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting this example, I will check it out tonight!

If understand it right you use the mixer to scale down the constant amplitude of the osc to 50% so it only uses the first 9 steps in the CtrlSeq. And since the signal is symmetrical you don't have to split the signal in positive and negative, right? But how about when you feed it with external audio that's not symetrical, would you have to split the signal in two, and what happens with DC offset then? Also, external audio is not of constant amplitude unless you compress it really hard, so what would be the best way to scale that kind of signal?

In my Geiger Counter patch I have borrowed a wave shaper patch from Fozzie (user here) where the signal is split into positive and negative with a rectifier and there is a higpass filter that supposedly takes care of the DC offset. But I'm not into the technical side of these things and can't tell wether that works as intended or not. My biggest issue though with that patch is to get the amount of wave shaping/distortion I want without clipping/overloading the CtrlSeq. Only way I have found so far is to use a compressor, but I don't want to compress the audio too much. Ideas on this would be very helpful.

Cheers!
iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modularmind wrote:
Thanks for posting this example, I will check it out tonight!

If understand it right you use the mixer to scale down the constant amplitude of the osc to 50% so it only uses the first 9 steps in the CtrlSeq. And since the signal is symmetrical you don't have to split the signal in positive and negative, right?

Not entirely sure I know what you mean.. But the signal is made positive only, then scaled to max/min at a value of 32/0 (with 16 being no sound).

Re: symmetry.. There is no need to worry about this, steps lower than 5 represent the negative half of the signal while steps higher than 5 represent the positive half of the signal.

You could of course scale the signal differently and use a different number of steps. Making the number of steps odd means you always have a centre step (in this case 5) which you can set to 0 so that the signal is nulled on a null input, setting 5 to another value like 64 means that the output on zero in would be 64. Nothing stopping you of course, plus you can also use this processing on control signals not just audio.

Obviously this whole process is easier with an osc but an input signal would need simply to be attenuated so you were getting roughly the same result. Maybe stick a clipper straight after the input so that it restricts the range and then watch the levels a bit, if you put a comparator after the input as well in parrallel you could look for it triggering so that you got visual feedback of clipping occuring... Mild clipping before all the processing shouldn't really spoil the distortion/waveshaping effect anyway but it might be nice to know how much it is happening. This would help avoid the other option which is of course compression/limiting before the input.

If you want to really go mental there is nothing stopping you from then running that patch through another ctrl-seq shaper to grunge it further, as your then applying the waveshaping to an already waveshaped signal.

It would be nice if there was a way to feed the process in itself like you can with the wavefolder module but i can't think of a way. Maybe TIM has an idea?

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: