electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: 2012 Build Pictures Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprised no one has created this thread yet!
Just finished a Dual AD/AR - Dual VCA modules. EG is Ian Fritz's design made with BugBrand's PCB and the VCA is MFOS design with a board made by myself.
This last panel should wrap up my latest suitcase build! Whoo hoo!
Edit: Video here: http://youtu.be/yUUQjkOQDQA

2012-01-08 19-19-01.848.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.2 KB
 Viewed:  844 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2012-01-08 19-19-01.848.jpg

2012-01-08 19-19-15.938.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.48 KB
 Viewed:  803 Time(s)

2012-01-08 19-19-15.938.jpg

Last edited by inlifeindeath on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My wife loves watching television programs and movies by streaming them online. She used to use a large and heavy laptop. For Christmas I gave her an Asus Eee Transformer tablet so she has more portability. It streams the shows fine, but the speaker in it are awful - they are very quiet and sound like crap. In addition, a lot of stuff online has very low audio levels (maybe digital stuff that was mastered at -20, and never boosted when converted and posted online). We have a pair of regular computer speakers, but then she will be tied to a power outlet and have two speakers with several wires to carry around. More portable speakers are powered from USB, which will drain the tablet battery, and many of them also have many wires to manage. I decided to make a custom speaker box for her that met several goals.

Mere info here - http://www.jacobwatters.com/speaker.php

Thanks EdisonRex for helping me trouble shoot a feedback problem.

speakers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.45 KB
 Viewed:  45483 Time(s)

speakers.jpg

speakers-inside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.64 KB
 Viewed:  45480 Time(s)

speakers-inside.jpg

jordroid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished up a triple bandpass resonator, very much like the clone of the korg fonik has documented.

I added a level control for each BPF, dry signal level, and an LFO that I like which fades from triangle to sine to rounded square.

I also did the trick where there are actually two LFOs, one running slower than the other, and a switch to select three modes of LFO action, very much like the MOTM triple resonant filter.

Stereo mode just pans two of the BPFs to the sides, while panning the remaining one in the middle.

Thanks fonik for the idea! Sounds great on everything, especially nice on a rhodes or wurlitzer.

Keep em' coming:)

jordan

IMG_0141.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.77 KB
 Viewed:  849 Time(s)

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.89 KB
 Viewed:  902 Time(s)

IMG_0142.JPG

Mooger5

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My WSG. Power starving the 40106 makes some crazy distortion which I´m begginning to appreciate and wonder if there´s such an effect for guitar already.

WSG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.68 KB
 Viewed:  839 Time(s)

WSG.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful work! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boogdish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the last three things I've built. These are all new designs so I'll give a little description of each one.

On the left (the one with a vertical row of switches and LEDs) is my quantizer brain and a single quantizer in one panel. The quantizer brain doesn't actually process CV, just sends information about musical modes to the quantizers digitally. The switches select the notes in the scale. These can then be stored on the eeprom and the LEDs will indicate the current note set selected. The "mode" knob selects what musical mode you're selecting from the eeprom. The "offset" knob rotates the noteset, it would be potentially useful for key changes that use the same mode without re-tuning all your oscillators. I might lose that feature. The two toggle switches below that select whether new modes are automatically transmitted to the quantizers or if you need a trigger or push-switch to cause transmission. The other toggle selects between "Live" or stored mode. The push switches are from left to right, a random mode creation switch, the transmission switch and the switch to store the current switch pattern to the eeprom. Below that are jacks for external CV to control mode selection and offset and trigger inputs for random select and mode transmission. The bottom two jacks are just an input and output for the actual quantizer. The remaining toggle switch selects between -5V/+5V and 0v/10V range for the quantizer.

The module in the middle is a CV visualizer. The LEDs are arranged like a typical piano and light up whenever the corresponding note is played (the "C" is for 0V) The plastic jack is the input and the three other jacks are just used as multiples of the input (it's nice having multiples in different spots throughout the system so you're not having to patch so physically far.

The module on the right is the Chorderizer. It's also getting digital information from the quantizer brain. It applies offsets to the input voltage and the quantizes the results and outputs them. Offsets can be stored on the eeprom and then selected with 0 to 5V CV. On the top left is a push switch for random selection of a chord. The toggle next to that determines if the offsets of the chord are applied before or after the root note is quantized. The toggle on the left in the next row changes between the knobs determining offset or the select knob/cv. The next switch sets all outputs to 1V so that the multiple oscillators can be tuned together. The push switch in the middle of the module stores the current knob positions to the EEPROM. I'm really glad I finally got this thing done.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Oh, and in the background you can see a very sloppily thrown together power supply.
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's awesome! can't wait to get my hands on one of those quantizers!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boogdish, any sound samples? Looks very amazing and musical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i finally managed to finish at least one module: the combo amplifier/speaker module. it uses a TDA2030 IC and a visaton speaker. i will built two of these and mount them into my portable 9U system. they suck about 300mA each, so i will add an additional dedicated PSU.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice and professional looking... Very Happy
tombola

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Voltage controlled FM Radio, based on a little varactor-controlled FM circuit from Conrad
FM Radio Module by Tom.Whitwell, on Flickr

frequencycentral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: UM-TSS Drum Machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a simple drum machine that takes a clock signal, sends it through a divider, and uses the first three divisions for the rhythm. The first division filtered to be the hi-hats, the second is the kick and the third is the snare. This creates a "four on the floor" dance beat. I filter all the divisions to get the desired sounds.

More info in the build thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49054.html

And on my website: http://www.jacobwatters.com/um-tss.php

um-tss.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.14 KB
 Viewed:  631 Time(s)

um-tss.jpg

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frequencycentral wrote:
VCLFO

is this a tom wiltshire project (electrodruid)?

frequencycentral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
frequencycentral wrote:
VCLFO

Yes it is - now completed and fully verified. As you can see, there are two PCBs - it is possible to build two different versions of the project, a simple version without voltage control just using one PCB, or a full featured fully voltage controlled version by adding the second PCB. I'm about ready to do a run of these for anyone interested.

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure: I love the artwork Very Happy Lots of detail and attention went into that didn't it? It's great Very Happy

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
darkvortex
Radio Master

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: UM-TSS Drum Machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:

This is a simple drum machine that takes a clock signal, sends it through a divider, and uses the first three divisions for the rhythm. The first division filtered to be the hi-hats, the second is the kick and the third is the snare. This creates a "four on the floor" dance beat. I filter all the divisions to get the desired sounds.

Looks amazing!!!! Can't wait to hear you use it in a performance / improv Smile
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frequencycentral wrote:
fonik wrote:
frequencycentral wrote:
VCLFO

Yes it is - now completed and fully verified. As you can see, there are two PCBs - it is possible to build two different versions of the project, a simple version without voltage control just using one PCB, or a full featured fully voltage controlled version by adding the second PCB. I'm about ready to do a run of these for anyone interested.

I'd probably take. i seem to remember buying one of the PIC chips, and a little PCB.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: UM-TSS Drum Machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:

More info in the build thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49054.html

This is a great idea; I had been thinking of similar ideas of using clock dividers for simple drum patters. I have a MiniPops that I wired up to produce a similar beat, which I've added switches to create vatiations and cancels.

I was thinking about trying to insert a pulse delay circuit to add "shuffle" to certain divisions

I love the CV Radio above also
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my luminescent heterodyne-somethinger something or other, I can't remember what I called it now ... I'll make a thread for it in the lunetta forum with a circuit diagram and more info, go see!

This one is a genuine junk synth Very Happy

P.S. Luminescent Heterodyne Signal Decoder, thats what I called it!

DSCN0401.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.99 MB
 Viewed:  574 Time(s)

DSCN0401.JPG

DSCN0405.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.07 MB
 Viewed:  531 Time(s)

DSCN0405.JPG

DSCN0408.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.06 MB
 Viewed:  551 Time(s)

DSCN0408.JPG

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha ! I like that style ! What do you call it ? I guess the extra holes are for advanced inner temperature regulation, right ?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

umschmitt wrote:
Haha ! I like that style !

Me too. The knobs are perfect. Very Happy

umschmitt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a way less avantgardistic style than Jingle Joe's production, let me proudly (euphemism here) present my cigar box Mutant DS7 clone !
I'm happy with the result, happy that it's finished, happy with the process of doing it. I learned a lot, thanks to those here who helped (richardc64, metal_head_82, Jingle Joe and Fonik among them).
There's more about this project in the last pages here.

Slightly_augmented_DS7_clone.JPG
 Description:
Complete with the pedantic black satin background.
 Filesize:  71.98 KB
 Viewed:  42631 Time(s)

Slightly_augmented_DS7_clone.JPG

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:
Subject description: !
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well... let hear it!
umschmitt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, let's make some art !
I already posted some sounds, like this one or that other one, which among others can be found at page twelve of the mentioned topic.
But. I've just been playing with the loop feature, including the output of a glorious if not performant Redson DU-106 © echo unit in the feedback path, and man it just takes me to another domain that I didn't even suspect… (main word here : NOISE) It's weird to build something to only discover its actual capabilities afterwards ! Now I NEED to explore that further !

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: