electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Ohhhh,...tell us another story Uncle Krunkus!
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Ohhhh,...tell us another story Uncle Krunkus!
Subject description: The Klee stripboard does exist
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everybodies,
I know this is a classic case of tooting my own horn. Embarassed
And it's mostly because I'm designing stripboard again this last week for the first time in 2 years. cheers
But I suddenly realised that it might interest the Klee community to know. Ohm...

When Scott first approached Tom Fenn with the Klee sequencer Tom had only just been talking to me about stripboarding, and how tedious and unreliable he found it.
I explained that I used a program to lay out the stripboard and that I actually found it quite relaxing. It wasn't long before Tom got back to me and challenged me to do the Klee sequencer as a stripboard layout.
Now I'd only just built a dual saphire flanger on two identical stripboard layouts. I'd bought(?!) and learned Lochmaster 2.0 (a stripboard layout program) and wanted to try something more challenging, so I took Tom at his word, and started laying out the Klee before I'd even worked out what it did. Shocked
The final version on Lochmaster, (which may still be out there, but I haven't found it yet, I'm sure it's on an old hard drive) actually stretched across 3 stripboard layouts. I just did them in order of the schems which Scott sent me. There were 5 of those IIRC. When space ran out, I started another row of chips on a new board. It took about 3 weeks to get a decent layout which was complete, and ready to test. Cool

The amazing thing is, still, to this day,..... no-one has built those stripboards up into a functioning Klee sequencer. Surprised

Challenge anyone?! Laughing

Before I could start putting it together, Scott suggested that both he and I learn Express PCB. He concentrated on the Express Schem part of the program, and I started learning the Express PCB part. (Which can be constantly synced with each other so we were always on the same page)
But,.......

That's another story children, and Uncle Krunkus is very tired!,.......(Chuckle) Laughing

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I do find these layouts, I'll post them here.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be hugely interested in seeing the layouts...but not brave enough to give it a try.

I use stripboards only for very small ancillary modules (buffered multis, small mixers, simple wave shapers, extracting +5V power supply from my main, etc.).

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this Klee nostalgia is a fine inspiration to all of us creators. I do it myself too, imagining that my projects will one day be significant or that this next one will be a hot number, I value my prototypes from a nostalgic perspective. This, of course, fades when the invention does not pan out but still I think it's healthy and not egotism at all.

I also feel that the archives of electro-music.com will one day be scoured by historians (among many other sites) who specialize in internet history of the future. They will do research studies figuring out what early incubator ideas from here and other places led to major new technologies of the next generation.

So keep up the good work, oh Krunky one, but don't go back and redo history. I'd rather see your efforts be put to developing new stuff.

Les

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right Les.
I think it's the beer that makes me a bit nostalgic.
Sometimes you don't realise how amazing and inspiring something is, until it's long gone. "don't know what you've got till it's gone"
I suppose this is why the buddhists believe in being in the now. There are so many things that can be overlooked, underestimated, undervalued when we are constantly looking towards the future, or reminiscing about the past. And they are happening right here, right now.

I've always thought that archeology would be an endlessly rewarding job, but I just realised that an archeologist actually sacrifices part of their "now" in order to uncover someone else's "past". It would actually be a very fine balancing act, if someone were to not lose themselves in other places and people from the past.

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, the klees something ive only really glanced at, and ive just ordered some cd4034s off ebay for some reason...

looks like ill be building one.

Prob not on stripboard tho, although i have (accidentally bought tons!) I just thought ill buy two of each size, thatll keep me going. The small stuff is ridiculoulys useless.

Mr krunkus, youll be the perfect guinea pig! what can i buiild on these ! Laughing

lhh5.jpg
 Description:
oops. haha
 Filesize:  181.49 KB
 Viewed:  484 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

lhh5.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ew! You got one of those cheap lighters:

flick! flick! fllick! flick - light!

You need to flick your Bic:

Flick - light!

Les

wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent story Andy!

Inventor wrote:
Ew! You got one of those cheap lighters:

They're excellent for throwing in the fireplace Razz

Please kids, don't try this at home

Cheers,
Woody

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The larger stripboard (46 rows) I find a great size for synth modules - fits neatly behind my 200mm high panels. All the modules I've made so far - except the Klee - are built on stripboard - plenty of MFOS, some CGS, Fritz, a few others. Happy to share layouts - I use VeeCad to design the layouts, which interfaces well with TinyCad for drawing schematics.

Peter
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm new to stripboard and I may use it soon. How do you cut the traces easily?

Les

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a pin vice 3 years ago under a recommendation from Uncle Krunkus. The pin vice has a 3MM drill bit inserted and I cut the tracks by partially drilling the holes with it... about 10 turns/spins of the drill seems to do it.

I have about 50 circuits here all built on stripboard... and awaiting me to get my s*** together and put them behind panels! My introduction to DIY was via Krunkus' WSG stripboard diagram so I've stuck with it. I've tried perf a couple of times but enjoy the challenge of being smart with where the electricity runs and cramming the components into as little a footprint as possible.

But yeah... a 3MM drill bit and a pin vice Idea

pin_vice.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.37 KB
 Viewed:  17627 Time(s)

pin_vice.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So 3mm is 1/8" in English units approximately, right? and 1/8 is a bit bigger than 1/10, so that'll work. Thanks, I had wondered that for a while. See Krunkus, one hand washes the other. I teach you a little circuit theory and your practical advice, through -minus-, teaches me!

Ahhh, electro-music and friends are wonderful things!

Les

p.s. ty -minus-, you're a +plus+ in my book...

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use one of these chaps, i did a bit of electronics at uni years ago and we (they!) used stripboard, so it feels more natural to me than perf.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Stripboard-Cutter-34-0600/?sid=8bcc1e38-3406-4124-aea5-e5f97f2033db

However, pre-made PCBs are SO much easier.

That said ive still got a load of minus' excellent layouts to try. And a ton of stripboard to use up!

Cheers
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The stripboard I get is about 300mm long. I've used stripboard for years. I only ever bought one layout program,..Lochmaster. I'd love to design everything in ExpressPCB, like the Klee, but I don't have a job, and have to do things on the cheap AOAP. Stripboard is great for that. And it's immediate. You can start soldering up the first proto within a couple of hours. Cool
Yeah,.. 3mm bit, some tinned copper wire (.6-1mm) for links, and whatever comes off the breadboard. Twisted Evil

Of course the Klee-Stripboard wasn't quite like that, but I was certifiably insane back then! Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting back to the original topic, nostalgia for electro-music threads and projects, I have recently begun re-reading the 22 page Karplus Strong thread. There is renewed interest in the project and we should have a second board run, so cool on that. It is fun to re-read all of our community contributions. Funny how looking back the choices seem so obvious, but looking forward they are tough decisions. It all worked out well in the end and we have a good design though.

Les

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: