electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
New Nord Drum, possible to emulate with Modular?
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dude163

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: New Nord Drum, possible to emulate with Modular? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like it says, I like the look and sounds of the Nord Drum, but after watching a few videos, i think its possible to be done with w Modular, am I wrong?
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An interesting challenge…

I don’t have a Nord Drum, but after listening to the sound demos on their website, I would agree with you. I didn’t hear anything that I think would be impossible to emulate with a Nord Modular.

dude163

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was tempted to buy a nord drum today 299 for the stupid deal of the day from musicians friend with free shipping

Unfortunately yesterday I bought a beginner set of Doepfer Eurorack gear!
adnauseam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: re: Nord Drum vs Analog Modular Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here here!

That's some good thinking.

As a yet-to-actually-have-it analog modular enthusiast that's what I keep telling myself.

"This $500 you're about to drop on device-x could be put in towards modular stuff"

either that or a G2X Embarassed
teevee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well nice to talk about, but someone has to take the initiative – so I looked up the manual and found this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The manual is not very informative, so I take out a few quoted from the manual, which could be usefull
Quote:
“The Nord Drum has 4 channels, it can produce 4
simultaneous sounds . .Each one of the channels
has a complete and identical set of parameters”

Quote:
“A sound in the Nord Drum is made with a blend
of up to three components: Noise, Tone and
Click . .Each one of these components has their
individual set of parameters”

Summary:
- The unit has 4 sounds – each with noise, click and tone!
- Each tone can be controlled with a trig input – but in our case it would be a midi-input!
- http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/manuals/nord%20drum/Nord%20Drum%20Owners%20Manual%20v1.x%20(eng).pdf
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Nord Drum - tryout
Subject description: Nord Drum - tryout
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

took the guts to try making an emulation of the “Clavia Nord Drum”
But I had a little problem with making it trigger – because as I made it now, then it should all trigger at C4, but it doesn’t and that frustrate me a little! Very Happy
I want to mark that I’m still new at the editor, but took the challenge to try making a NordDrum emulation.

Nord Drum.jpg
 Description:
Try out
 Filesize:  291.64 KB
 Viewed:  429 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Nord Drum.jpg

Nord Drum - emu.pch
 Description:
Emulation

Download
 Filename:  Nord Drum - emu.pch
 Filesize:  1.71 KB
 Downloaded:  463 Time(s)

dude163

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Ill give this a go once I get home tonight!!

thanks so much
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see that 10 people have downloaded my upload, but no one has given a respond, is that normal electro-music user style? Very Happy

Maybe a solution why I couldn’t make the tones “1, 2, 3, 4” trigger on C4 would have been on my top 10 answer wishes! Very Happy
kauf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teevee wrote:
I can see that 10 people have downloaded my upload, but no one has given a respond, is that normal electro-music user style? Very Happy

Maybe a solution why I couldn’t make the tones “1, 2, 3, 4” trigger on C4 would have been on my top 10 answer wishes! Very Happy

Hey!
I haven't tried this at home with my Modular, but at first glance, there are a couple of things I would try:

1) I would first try using just one "Note detect" Module, from where I would take each of the four triggers. That should solve the trigger issue.
2) The "Velocity" module doesn't seem to be doing anything. I would connect its output to the "vel" input of each Tone. Since all four "Velocity" modules have the same parameters, I would even go as far a replacing the four for just one, as done in step 1 with the "Note detect".
3) The same goes for the "Amplifier" module. I would actually insert an "8 input Mixer" module, to which I would connect the output of each tone. From there, I would connect the output of the Mixer to one amplifier, and from there to a "2 Output" module (there's no need to use the "4 output", really).

This aside, I do not understand why you would wish to make all four sounds trigger at the same time and with the same note. I mean, they are supposed to be different sounds (i.e. kick, snare, the likes). Surely they should not play together?

Finally, I imagine that the Nord Drum is likely to be a bit more complex than just using the Modular Drum Modules... Not sure, though. Never really heard one!

Big hug!
adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Nord Drum Patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second all that kauf said Laughing
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Kauf – Thanks for your respond to this topic and my input. I will start mark-out that I’m still new at working with the editor and tried putting things up as logic as I could figure it.

kauf wrote:

1) I would first try using just one "Note detect" Module, from where I would take each of the four triggers. That should solve the trigger issue.

Okay I found out where the issues were! Some reason, they were trigged by C5 and not C4 in my test with Renoise (DAW) < I don’t understand why?

Note: I have changed each note trigger now, so you can assign from example a drum pad with 4 pads to each tone. (There are CPU for adding more Tones if you had a bigger drum pad, but that’s not necessary if we try build it on the Nord Drum connect)

kauf wrote:

2) The "Velocity" module doesn't seem to be doing anything. I would connect its output to the "vel" input of each Tone. Since all four "Velocity" modules have the same parameters, I would even go as far a replacing the four for just one, as done in step 1 with the "Note detect".

I haven’t set any parameters on the velocity – only added the modules, so this would be users-choice about how much feeling they want on the drumpads. I was not sure how it should be connected but I found a example of another drum patch where it was set like this.

kauf wrote:

3) The same goes for the "Amplifier" module. I would actually insert an "8 input Mixer" module, to which I would connect the output of each tone. From there, I would connect the output of the Mixer to one amplifier, and from there to a "2 Output" module (there's no need to use the "4 output", really).

The Amplifier – I choose to make an output for each tone, so the user can decide which output there should be set for each tone.

kauf wrote:

Finally, I imagine that the Nord Drum is likely to be a bit more complex than just using the Modular Drum Modules... Not sure, though. Never really heard one!

Your 100 % right about this – it would never be complex as a Nord Drum (Same with Nord Lead 2 patches for Nord Modular). In my eyes are those items only “cut-outs” of the big book Wink
I cannot say if they sound 100% identical Nord Drum vs Nord Modular <But looking at the features in the “drummodule” inside the editor is giving me a hint of something Wink

I attached the changed with the notes.

Nord Drum - emu v1.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nord Drum - emu v1.pch
 Filesize:  1.71 KB
 Downloaded:  332 Time(s)

teevee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:
- 2 ekstra tones added
- Voices set to 6
- Individual output cutted down to mixer > Amp > 1 out-put

Information:
The reason why I have cut-down the individual output is to save CPU till I can see the schematics from “Nord Drum 2”

They said at the official Norduserforum:
Quote:
The Nord Drum 2 is a 6-channel Modeling Percussion Synthesizer that combines the playability of real percussion with unique and powerful sound creation possibilities! New features included Resonance modeling, FM-synthesis, distortion effects, stereo outputs with panning and CC-control.

I think that this will require the DSP expansion for NM G1, because I will run out of CPU if I should make “Resonance modeling, FM-synthesis, distortion effects”

Nord Drum - emu v2.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nord Drum - emu v2.pch
 Filesize:  1.97 KB
 Downloaded:  338 Time(s)

X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teevee wrote:
Update:
The reason why I have cut-down the individual output is to save CPU till I can see the schematics from “Nord Drum 2”

You should dump those stock drum modules, as they're very CPU expensive. You can do the same and much more by just being creative with other modules. Try using LFO's for kicks/toms, noise+filters for hi-hats etc. I wouldn't call adding 4-6 stock drum modules and connecting them to outputs an emulation at all.

A few years back I've made pretty close rendition of MiniPops7 drum machine (the one Jarre used on Oxygene and Equinoxe albums), but cannot find this patch anymore after a couple of HDD failures Sad

I'm attaching a picture of this patch that remained on some old ftp I've used for file hosting, maybe it will give you some ideas. I will try to look for the patch on my older mail account, but cannot promise anything.

PS. The patch has sequencers in it, as it played rhythm used in Oxygene 6, with just note triggers it was a bit lighter on the CPU.
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello X-Electric – Thanks for the answer.
The problem about making fixed kicks, toms, snare and hi-hats by making each with small modules is the flexibility. Then you cannot decide that you example want two snare on example tone 4 and 5 without adding new modules. The idea is making it easy and flexible as possible for the user.

Your “ MiniPops7 drum machine” projects looks very interesting, would be very kind of you if you would take a look around, this could be very instructive for both me and other Nord Modular G1 users.

//TeeVee//
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news Smile I've found both sequenced, and note triggered version of above patch, along with some other drum machine project (not so fancy soundwise, more of a sequencer project to switch 8 different rythm patterns). These patches were meant for Micro Modular, so there's plenty of possibilities to further develop something nice on a full scale NM. Wink

MiniPops7_seq.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MiniPops7_seq.pch
 Filesize:  5.12 KB
 Downloaded:  389 Time(s)

MiniPops7_midi_3.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MiniPops7_midi_3.pch
 Filesize:  5.17 KB
 Downloaded:  368 Time(s)

8R_DM2.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  8R_DM2.pch
 Filesize:  5.99 KB
 Downloaded:  1109 Time(s)

dude163

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ill take a look at these when i get back from vacation, after a few months in limbo Im back in the game again Smile
teevee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dude163 wrote:
Ill take a look at these when i get back from vacation, after a few months in limbo Im back in the game again Smile

Very Happy !! good to hear!
dude163

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

these are fantastic!!!

the midi3_426 one is corrupted and wont load , can you reupload it pls?

the minipops is Jean Michel jarre, lol awesome!!
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: