electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Waldorf Pulse 2
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
namnibor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you are correct. I have held-off on purchasing any other analog mono synth but I *did* purchase a Waldorf 4-Pole Miniworks analog filter hardware for less than price of Rocket Synth and the 4-Pole actually has a thorough midi implementation, two full ADSR envelopes, LFO, multiple trigger methods, with mono audio in and stereo OUT, additional 1/4 input that virtually anything can act as a trigger and one-shot.
I mentioned this because it's more or less how I planned to utilize Rocket--mainly as analog filtering but could not pass up great deal on this mint 4-Pole to use with Microwave XT and even Wavestation SR because it's incredibly versatile and obtained the 12v version, which is supposed to be same analog filter Pulse Plus had but with vastly more modulation capacity.
Research showed there was a 9v version with only difference was it had the CEM Filter.
Here in the States, the Sweetwater Music folks can only state there's an unusually long shipping delay on Waldorf Rocket and they cannot get any more info from Waldorf since that in late January. Perhaps the name "Rocket" has caused customs to all be up in Arms--quite literally! Twisted Evil

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
namnibor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, a bit of an update! Yesterday a great price on ebay USA for a Waldorf Pulse Plus was too hard to turn down and has the newest 2.01 O.S. EPROM installed. I had been "good" in passing on some extremely great deals on DSI Mopho Keyboard, all the while holding off for the pending Pulse 2 release.

I thought this was a wise purchase because the Pulse Plus has the added CV to MIDI converter, external audio input, 1-CV IN, 1-Gate IN, 2-CV OUTS, and a Gate OUT; all of which will be interesting to see how it incorporates with DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard since it has 2 CV-IN, and of course Pulse Plus has full midi specs and with newest O.S. you can stack up to 12 Pulses with Waldorf stating the upcoming Pulse 2 will be fully backwards compatible with Classic Pulse.

It's to arrive next week and cost me 20% more than Waldorf's new Rocket Synth, of which is blown out of the water by the Pulse Plus and glad I held-off this long for some analog bass duties. Since the new Korg MS20 Mini would make a perfect companion to the Pulse Plus and the CV/Gate Converter can be programmed for different coltage or the S-Trig the MS20 uses, I think with the MS20's added High Pass Filter and totally different sound, having a duo phonic 5 oscillator synth, using the MS20 as a controller for both will be worth the added cost of $599. usd for MS20 Mini once it arrives June-ish they say. Waldorf Pulse Plus = 3 VCO, MS20 Mini = 2 VCO.
Waldorf still has Spring listed on site for the Pulse 2 and Spring is officially over in a week and after waiting now a year for real analog bass duties, I think having aforementioned very different sounding mono synth's linked will be more interesting than the typical Moog sound. Different is a good thing!
Any original Waldorf Pulse Plus owners on here?

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great buy thumb up
namnibor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HrastProgrammer wrote:
Great buy thumb up

Do you by chance own a Waldorf Pulse Plus or regular Pulse? If the DSI MEK's CV input does not work well with Pulse plus, I am sure I can just use midi out on MEK to Pulse's midi in and if necessary, set the Pulse Plus on a different midi channel to keep from the knobs of MEK causing inadvertent/nonsense sysex messages, so can independently tweak the Pulse Plus on it's rack interface. I think the two totally different sounding analog filters will add whole new dimension of sonic possibilities with the already insanely awesome MEK.

Any tips on these connections are more than welcome. Want to really make this work rather than the MS20 Mini because the MEK has after touch, which Korg notoriously omit for some reason on a lot of their keyboards to include their newest King Korg....I do not get it because after touch is such an incredibly versatile expression/routing source Shocked

hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, I don't own a Pulse but setting it on a different MIDI channel should work. BTW, MEK System Exclusive messages won't affect Pulse (no matter of MIDI channel) because SysEx messages are recognized by the same type of devices only. Control Change messages should affect Pulse, of course (if it is on the same channel) ...
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure I understood everything here, I know thought that the Evolver expression/cv inputs are heavily filtered, and won't react to quick movements in the voltage.
namnibor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I'm not sure I understood everything here, I know thought that the Evolver expression/cv inputs are heavily filtered, and won't react to quick movements in the voltage.

Well, my Pulse does not arrive until week from now and I kind of suspect you are correct since there's no Gate Out on MEK. I see two CV/Expression inputs on back of MEK and thought it would not hurt to look into it before using midi because the control voltage aspect of the Pulse Plus can be fully adjusted in Global Parameters to accommodate need for a less/more voltage as can the Gate aspect.

If not, midi will be easy enough to use instead and reason I mentioned separate midi channel on Pulse Plus is I know that sysex is utilized by *most* of the MEK **BUT** some of the knobs *DO* transmit midi CC's, especially moreso when DSI did an update that expanded those controllers. So, do not want the MEK or Pulse to necessarily make changes on the other whilst tweaking each of their interfaces...but then there's always the option of sending the stereo output of Pulse Plus INTO the MEK...if I want. Man, I LOVE, LOVE the MEK! Realize due to extensive military career, the MEK is REALLY new to me as if released last Fall Very Happy

I wanted to post my intentions here to get such great feedback and suggestions and thanks!

namnibor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

Carson Day from DSI Support told me that even though the MEK CV1/CV2 inputs are heavily filtered and could affect the quickness of response, it surely CAN be done. If it's an issue then will simply slave the Pulse Plus via midi out from MEK Razz

namnibor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, not to be a jerk or anything BUT...Spring is officially OVER on planet Earth and Waldorf still have Spring listed on their website of the Pulse 2's release! Shocked
I am still holding off (other than the Pulse Plus I picked-up last month), because I am wondering if Waldorf will throw us all a curve ball and release a Pulse 2 Keyboard version? Just a thought. Shocked

The Korg MS20 Mini is yet to fill all the minions whom preordered around the world and was told mid-July a few places will get another shipment.

Am really wanting to control the Pulse Plus with CV/Gate perhaps with MS20 Mini and when Waldorf DOES release the Pulse 2, and they state it will be backwards compatible with Classic Pulse, would make for a great mix of different VCO's and filter types. Was tempted with a great deal on used Minibrute and although have heard some outstanding demos of MB, it still does not have the power of the MS20-mini and it could be a gateway synth-drug to modular madness. Shocked

Anyone heard anything new about Pulse 2 and what the frackin hold-up is? With so many new analog options out there, to include Bass Station 2, Waldorf are shooting themselves in the leg by possibly missing out on any significant market share if what's on offer as it's simply a game of supply and demand and the fact not a lot of people wish to have multiple mono synths if given a choice???! Shocked

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Waldorf will probably release the Pulse 2 as soon as they have released the Stromberg. Wink

Seriously though, I wonder if they got scared by the fact that loads of others released analog stand-alones, and are holding off jumping into production, watching what happens to all of the others first. Competition in this niche didn't look that fierce a year and a half ago.

namnibor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Waldorf will probably release the Pulse 2 as soon as they have released the Stromberg. Wink

Seriously though, I wonder if they got scared by the fact that loads of others released analog stand-alones, and are holding off jumping into production, watching what happens to all of the others first. Competition in this niche didn't look that fierce a year and a half ago.

You mean when they firstly announced the first, second, third...release date? They would have been well ahead of the curve had they stayed the course and would have in fact just beat the Minibrute by months.

What's really odd is there seemed to at one point Waldorf Rocket's in-stock and now nothing but the vapor from the Rocket Shocked Odd at best!

clementshawes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could it be? 30th of the month you say??
http://www.thomann.de/gb/waldorf_pulse_2.htm

namnibor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Could it be? 30th of the month you say??
http://www.thomann.de/gb/waldorf_pulse_2.htm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Waldorf release dates are about as predictable as Middle East Peace Talks have been since 1946.
I cannot find the link right now but a recent interview in English with one of Waldorf engineers said that, and yes, I quote..."The Pulse 2 *Module* will be released firstly and by *end of year the Pulse 2 Keyboard* would be released"!!!! Very Happy
I have a Pulse Plus that am going to CV to my recent GAS Embarassed of at least purchasing a few month old hardly used at all Elektron Analog Four Shocked Very Happy
So my take on the Pulse 2 is standing on sidelines and wait for inevitable bugs fixed and then consider the keyed Pulse 2. This is all in flux depending on what O.S. updates and requested added features Elektron does for Analog Four. Being able to output midi and poly mode are the biggies but can tell you now that if the Pulse 2 ends-up having CV/Gate IN, you should sell a kidney and get yourself an Analog Four....it's so VERY different from the Evolver but also like lost cousins once removed and compliment each other. Hell, will actually say the A4 is like getting a Tempest and an ALL analog Poly Evolver, sans full keyboard!!! Shocked

I find myself getting out of bed for that innocent glass of water or lavatory trip and the Analog Four beckons me to put headphones on the very same way the Evolver MEK does. Having both makes me glad there's no wife nor kids in the picture, just a cat....and he's very afraid Twisted Evil

Pulse 2 is backward compatible with Classic Pulse...I am surmising this means as long as Classic Pulse has EPROM 2.01 you can stack up to 8 and controlling the whole poly set-up with one as I actually saw in one studio picture.
Then again, me-thinks if I ever buy *any* more gear on this Earth, it may just have to be a second A4....if you were not "across the pond" I would gladly GIVE you a Korg Radias Keyboard Synth (am convinced it would insist on sounding HAPPY even while set on fire with a latched sequence running, right down to the last IC and high C) Laughing
Yep, thinning out the herd a bit as know what sates my creativity at this point!
Pulse Keyboard=they did not say at the end of WHICH YEAR!!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, Thomann dates for future products can often be a bit of a happy guess that keeps being moved forward.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awwww, I was getting excited.

The money I've put aside for a new purchase is seriously starting to hurt now and I thought I might've resolved that with a Pulse 2 Wink

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might be no its way all the same Smile

namnibor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Resistance may very well be futile! Waldorf still does not have the user manual posted and perhaps they are still working on it and pondering that great Germanic humor to interject here and there?!

I still hold my ground in a prediction that there's some kind of interdependency upon The Rocket for the paraphonic mode of Pulse 2. Waldorf's industrial design and Axel Hartmann have always been consistent with color schema with products, hence, I hold my ground that it's absolutely no accident that The Rocket and Pulse 2 have exact same color schema...will freely "eat crow" if wrong...as long as it's "Free Range Crow"...ha!

namnibor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Might be no its way all the same Smile

DAMN!!!! The deep bass and depth of bass on this is awesome!!! EAT DIRT BASS STATION 2!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like both midi in and midi out is connected to this Pulse 2...hmmmmm?!?! I really hope there's cv in/out on this or the later keyboard model confirmed in an interview!
Care to expound on how Pulse 2 is "backwards compatible with Classic Pulse"? Have a Pulse+ just waiting to be married to this, O.S. 2.01.....!!!

namnibor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found some extra info from this video and by the way, these ARE VCO's!!! Here's the info quote by "MrSynthmania"..."This is the new star of analog monophonic synthesizers...the brandnew WALDORF PULSE 2.
An amazing sounding mashine with tons of good features. More than 16 modulationslots are available, 3 real analog oscillators for a rich sound, an analog multimodefilter and a very easy userinterface and 500! presets. It allows you to syncronize an older synthesizer like the Roland SH 101 or older Moog Synthesizer with its built in CV/Gate Interface via Midi. Very nice feature. And you can play with paraphonic modes up to eight voice chords.
The Waldorf Pulse is built like a tank, it´s Made in Germany.
Enough words now...just listen to the raw sound without any effects on it. Have fun and if you like it...buy one."

SOOOO glad I resisted MS20 and BS2 and have an Analog Four....this and my Pulse+ cv track on Analog Four...there's no stopping me now.....(evil laugh..HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Last edited by namnibor on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
adnauseam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Modulation Slots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

namnibor wrote:

An amazing sounding mashine with tons of good features. More than 16 modulationslots are available

Waldorf's site is only listing 8 modulation slots but I realize that even this is alot.

Waldorf Site Specs

Do you know something Waldorf doesn't? Rolling Eyes
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure if reviews were given beta firmware as I've seen similar conflict of specs elsewhere.
As you say, 8 is still decent but I'm uncertain if the New pulse offers extra 'slots' in paraphonic mode, a one-to-many 'slot' or if there is x amount in release firmware and x amount in beta/preview...
Or even none of the above lol

namnibor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Modulation Slots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
namnibor wrote:

An amazing sounding mashine with tons of good features. More than 16 modulationslots are available

Waldorf's site is only listing 8 modulation slots but I realize that even this is alot.

Waldorf Site Specs

Do you know something Waldorf doesn't? Rolling Eyes

The Waldorf Pulse 2 "Specs" posted on Waldorf site have a simple sneaky disclaimer that states these spec's are subject to change, et al....

PLUS, IF YOU LOOK, I USED QUOTATION MARKS, MEANING I "QUOTED" THE BETA-TESTOR...so not sure if you were attempting at being sardonic Wink and if you were, you missed the quotations, hence my LACK OF A CRYSTAL BALL Shocked

They ARE NOT totally correct specs because a recent interview in both German and English as well as the momentarily posted Beta-Tester's YouTube video and added specs, all stated the Pulse 2 FURTHERMORE has said mod matrix, CV/GATE/Midi interface to be compatible with older analog synths, to incl. Classic Pulse. Also, those specs on Waldorf Site do not expound at ALL how paraphonic is achieved as in which waveform, osc, etc...other than what most people know from historical synths of past with paraphonic mode--all voices go through single filter.

It's also quite Waldorf's 'wont' to leave those waiting for new product in a shroud of secrecy and element of surprise; in a good way.

Sorry, do not have time to dig-up those interviews but do a little search on youtube and should find it.

Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: