electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Soundlab - LFO
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Zodiak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Soundlab - LFO
Subject description: Possible problem
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I first built my soundlab the frequency range was about 0.75 hz to 150Hz, so I slapped on another 10nf capacitor across C14 (5nf) to make it more like .3Hz to 50Hz, which has been more useful.
Could somebody tell me what their does as I would like to find out if it is supposed to be like this or I have a mistake somewhere.
Thanks Smile

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Stephen Smile

On my Soundlab++ i have a 4N7 on the pcb and i have a switch on the panel to switch in a red Wima 2U2 box polyester for a slow triangle, im not sure of my frequencies as i've not tested them but they flash the led at a snails pace , flick the switch = audio rates.

Here's the link to the build , i love the soundlab , i stuffed a little pre-amp in for the audio out at a later date & it parps away wonderfully , i used ssm2210 matched pair chips back when they were plentifull Smile i use mine for melody / basslines & FX sounds & more Very Happy

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39555.html

Dave.
Zodiak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I have managed to increase the range significantly by dropping the R94 to 47 ohms, now it goes right down to 0.1Hz. In theory you could drop it even lower, but there comes a point where there won't be enough current to charge C14.
There is however a problem, in that all this extra range appears in only a few degrees at the end of the pot travel, making it difficult to use.
Swapping R90 for a log pot might make it better, or worse, but its late, I am tired and I can't work out which it will be. I think it will make it worse, but I will find out tomorrow. Confused

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Soundlab+ as well, and I have the range switch; in the high range I swing from probably .5Hz (I say probably because my frequency counter bounces around a bit, but that seems to be the most stable point) to 108Hz. In the low range, even at the highest pot setting it's too low for me to make anything out of it.

To be fair, I may not have fresh batteries either....

Good luck getting it to work the way you like. Ray's stuff is pretty straightforward, so a little tinkering ought to be easy to do.
Zodiak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil, thanks just what I needed. That's pretty close to what I get, so I can be pretty sure that I have a good circuit and don't need to start looking for faults. That's an evening saved, thanks again Very Happy
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're quite welcome Smile
Zodiak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After much ferkling about I ended up with the original circuit but replaced C14 with a couple of veropins so I can experiment with different values over the next few weeks.
At the moment I have two 10nF caps soldered in parallel (so thats 20nf) which gives a much lower range.
I haven't measure it yet but it feels better for Hawkwind and Gong type "seagull" sweeps. Smile

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: