electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
PAiA 2720/R Restoration
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
davebr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: PAiA 2720/R Restoration
Subject description: Restoration information
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently acquired a PAiA 2720/R modular that I restored. I remember when these came out in the mid 1970's but by then my interests had shifted from music synthesis to microprocessors and computing. I didn't get back into synthesizers until later so I missed out on most of the early PAiA gear.

I tend to keep my gear period correct so I didn't upgrade it other than replacing bad parts except for the PS filter capacitors. Increasing those significantly reduced the ripple and the effects it causes in the modules. It came out pretty good and works well for the simplicity of the design.

I have photos of all the modules on my site at http://modularsynthesis.com/paia/2700/2700.htm

Dave

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice work Very Happy
Do you know if piano wire has a very low resistance ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davebr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
nice work Very Happy
Do you know if piano wire has a very low resistance ?

Piano wire is just tempered high carbon steel so it should have a similar resistance. I think they probably used it because it is quite rigid and will form a very resilient bus that won't bend and short. I used to try and make slot car chassis with it as a kid with it but bending it is tough (it fractures) and soldering it with a regular iron is quite difficult. Later I learned to use silver solder and a lot of heat. I do restorations on Tektronix ceramic strips so I have the silver solder so I just increased the temperature of my iron and soldered it with great success. I've never measured the resistance but don't expect it to be any different than plain bus wire.

Dave
Cfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is a pretty old post, but that is a nice restoration.

Just picked up a 2700 (modules only) on eBay. This gives me hope I will find a fun useful purpose for them.
davebr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: PAiA 2720 Restoration Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
I know this is a pretty old post, but that is a nice restoration.

Just picked up a 2700 (modules only) on eBay. This gives me hope I will find a fun useful purpose for them.

They are basic and simple modules but they work reasonably well and it is a fine all-in-one synth. I was surprised how well it worked. Good luck.

Dave
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really nice! Oh how I wish I had bought some of their synths in the seventies.... Sad
cslammy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My brother and I built one of these in about 1974. I was 12, my brother was 14. your photo brings back a lot of memories. We got it to work, pretty good for a couple of kids.

Our 2700 didn't scale or stay in tune but it was fun and all we could afford.

I remember the balanced modulator in it being really good; the low pass VC filter did almost nothing. But the PAIA started both of us down a path of being professional techs which we still are today.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » PAIA Equipment
Jump to: