electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Skrogger
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Skrogger
Subject description: Thanks Dave!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave (Skrog Productions) was so kind to send me a couple of chips and some switches. (And nice CDs too)
banana

chiplist:
CD4011 (quad NAND)
CD4025 (triple 3-input NOR)
CD4066 (quad Analog switch)
CD4069 (hex Inverters, unbuffered)
NE555 (you all know what it is)
LF351 (JFET opamp)
and some memory chips

So I'm using them to make a simple (lunetta) synth. I thought about using the 555 for an envelope generator
and the 4069 for a filter but that's not what I did. Instead I'm using the 555 for a VCO and the 4069 (together
with some gates of the 4025) for some (LF-)oscillators. The 4066 + LF351 immmedialy seemed useful for a S&H
but I wasn't sure what to do with the other 3 switches. Eventually I used one for a VCA, which works pretty
much the same as the diode version, and the other 2 as inverters. The 4011 NAND gates are combined
for an XOR-ringmod.

I will post the schematic after it's all hooked up and tested but here's a photo of the frontpanel.

Skrogger - 01.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger frontpanel
 Filesize:  97.65 KB
 Viewed:  790 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Skrogger - 01.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Skrog inspired blue Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used the exact same shade of blue as the Super Sequencer panel layout he posted here.
Of course it's not done with the same printer so it might be slightly of but it's the idea that counts.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WoW , Amazing Smile Smile , fantastic panel , I like the 2 celtic pipers Very Happy and what a lovely shade of blue, good choice Very Happy Very Happy .

Looking forward to hearing it when it's all wired up .

Excellent work & great use for the chips & slide switches too, Phobos .

salut

This is inspiring me to build another module Very Happy Very Happy
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks dave smurf
glad you like the pipers, I HAD to put something scottish on there of course. (and haggis just didn't look right).

Here's a photo of how the slide switches are mounted.

Skrogger - 02.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger slide switches
 Filesize:  49.5 KB
 Viewed:  751 Time(s)

Skrogger - 02.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great way to mount the switches , saves having to source 2mm thread screws for the switch tabs, good stuff Phobos.

Smile
Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehehe , yes , haggis pic would look too greasy , so would a pic of flat square sausage Very Happy Very Happy
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wired it up about 2 weeks ago,. but I have problem. Apparently making an oscillator out of a 4069 inverter
followed by a 4025 NOR doesn't work Sad. However when I touch the input of the inverter it does. I experimented
a bit on a breadboard to see if I could get it working but whatever worked on the breadboard didn't work when used
in the actual circuit. So I'm a bit stuck, easiest way is probably to just add another NOR chip and replace the 4069 inverters.

(and I need a 3.5 mm socket with a switch contact and some wood for a case)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
... easiest way is probably to just add another NOR chip and replace the 4069 inverters.

So that's what I did. It feels a bit like cheating since dave didn't send me that one, but I already added an extra opamp too anyway.
(and I fried the original 555, but don't tell Dave)
I used some stained wood for the case this time instead of the usual MDF. And I wanted to record a demo but when I started playing
around with it yesterday I also added some other stuff (as usual). You can find some excerpts of that Skrogging session posted here. Razz
And you can also here it at the beginning (and throughout) Phytoplankton.

Skrogger.gif
 Description:
Skrogger schematic
 Filesize:  100.06 KB
 Viewed:  883 Time(s)

Skrogger.gif

Skrogger - 08.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger
 Filesize:  90.51 KB
 Viewed:  823 Time(s)

Skrogger - 08.jpg

Skrogger - 09.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger
 Filesize:  108.59 KB
 Viewed:  715 Time(s)

Skrogger - 09.jpg

Skrogger - 12.jpg
 Description:
Skrogger
 Filesize:  87.42 KB
 Viewed:  711 Time(s)

Skrogger - 12.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
You can find some excerpts

Heard it live last night, and it was very nice .. did the harsh almost (heavily distorted) guitar like sounds (reminding me on Velvet Underground) come from the Skrogger?

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, that was the Chromatic Melody Generator (CMG) fed into a CD4046 Pitch Tracker/VCO, which was then fed into a divider (swing generator).
And all these signals where mixed together. I also had the SAW output from the CMG going into an ADC with the outputs controlling the notes
of the CMG. So it was somewhat playing (with) itself Laughing

Some of the sounds the Skrogger was making are the ones with the somewhat slow attack, you can hear it best in Excerpt 1.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks & Sounds Fantastic Smile
compress cool salut

I see the red square push for env , just like I use for my adsrs , cool Smile
Does the Skrogger have it's own power supply or is it run from your Raw DC supply ?
The wood case completes the build Smile Excellent construction Phobos , would it be ok to upload you some yellow drum synth patterns I will programme up , for you to multi track / jam some skrogger sounds along with ? .

Smile Dave Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave Very Happy,

Since it's just a simple lunetta synth it works on a DC wallwart and yes I had one of those push buttons I see you using al the time
so I had to put it in the skrogger. It's actually an on/off switch not a momentary but I noticed you can use it as such. So I can
use it as a trigger or just turn it on which basically disables the envelope generator.

Sure go ahead, upload some skrogbeats I jam to it. I can't promise I can stick to just using the skrogger though Wink
And it might take some time before I get to it. I'm currrently working on 2 albums: the Captain Collider one and the
next AcidTrasH album. Cool

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally got some beats & a bassline recorded for a backing track for the Skrogger Smile .

Using the yellow diy drum synth http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-62648.html I programmed a drum pattern into the RM1X sequencer to feed to the hexinverter nein oh nein kick / snare / rimshot / claps also 2 voices of the quad bass++ for wobbly noises.

Also I played/jammed by hand a simple bassline using the ASM-2 diy synth http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-36475.html switching the rotary filter state control between lowpass / notch / bandpass / highpass throughout .

Dave.

Hexinv 909 & bass++ beats with ASM-2 bassline-01.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hexinv 909 & bass++ beats with ASM-2 bassline-01.mp3
 Filesize:  6.26 MB
 Downloaded:  935 Time(s)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great dave!
I'll see what I can do with it.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Haggis in yer Coupon!
Subject description: Sheep Shaggin' on a Sunday
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished the track and uploaded it here Cool
I did add some other sounds to it as well besides the Skrogger.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Phobos , sounds great , love the bleating samples & diy synth sounds, nice one Very Happy

Dave.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: