electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Crystal Oscillator (using Gemstones)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Crystal Oscillator (using Gemstones) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK I posted about this in the facebook group, this is a summary of the birth of a synth so to speak. It goes like this...

I would like to create some things that make sound. Specifically the sound would be dependent upon levers and sliders and buttons of some sort. I had an imagination of a six-shooter where you rotate the bullet chambers to get six sounds and pull the trigger to fire each sound.

Then I thought of a shifter on a truck and buttons and stuff of all kinds, it was inspired by those Lunettas that were made with bare open wire in a very artistic way. Such that each item is a work of art in it's own unique way.

So now I'm thinking of a set of LEDs of different colors, where each LED is on when it's associated oscillator is high, and off otherwise. This LED is paired with an identical LED that is in sense mode (you can do that and I know how) such that the emitted light passes thru crystals before striking the sensor LED. This way each LED pair forms an oscillator who's frequency is dependent upon the crystals in the chamber.

So we have a chamber containing multicolored crystals and LEDs glowing the chamber and perhaps a divider so the speed of the oscillation is visible, just feeling creative tonight and visualizing this now.

I think I can use some LEDs that I have and some ATtiny85 processors that I have with one for each oscillator, and perhaps a central chamber that is round like an ashtray or better yet round like an Iron Man energy thingie, what's it called? Or a tube perhaps? Well, best is a tray with crystals in the center and each oscillator is on the periphery.

Yes, I am seeing it now... the birth of a whatchamathingie! Now to make it, photos and schematics to follow!

Les
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, not sure how I missed this post.

Anyway, sounds like it could be pretty nice, Les. Are you imagining the crystals share the same chamber, or would they all be isolated from each other?
Not sure I understand the idea of pulling a trigger to make sounds... somehow I see a glowing gemstone synth being more of a continuous drone box.

Have you done any tests with the gemstone oscillator?

.:James:.
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi James, ltns as I have been away.

I am rethinking things and gosh, I just am frustrated. My 3D printer is broken and I don't know how to fix it this time. I was thinking of making a wire formed music circuit similar to what we've seen in the past. The gems were a part of it but I dunno, could be too many variables.

I have long held a desire to do things with a bunch of ATtiny85's due to their small size and low cost, I am interested in the wire formed technique, and also lately I've gotten into the amazing ESP8266 chip for IoT.

The IoT chip is great for audience participation as you can pass them out to the crowd and have them make music together. That can be with or without a home base even! What do you think of that?

Les
CreatorLes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a convo in the chatroom with alanp and the chat helped me realize the "magic" of gemstones as circuit components. For one thing I can use a white LED to light up any gemstone and being lit is magical enough. It gets better when the gemstone can be moved to alter the sound, or even replaced. I am interested in working with formed wire as well.

I had in mind to make forms for bending the wire via my 3D printer but it's broken AGAIN so I think that it is just not in the cards. I will work with the wire I have and can order to make a free-formed wire sculpture of the thing.

Then I have a friend who wants to get into paper circuits, that may be a focus here, not sure. Paper cardstock is less permanent but it has very low cost and can be made into greeting cards.

For fancy wire there is twisted square wire from www.theringlord.com that has a very elegant look to it, plus custom wire with even writing on it can be 3D printed at shapeways.com.

I guess I need some crystals. Mom will have some, and I can order some from Amazon.

Always thinking...

Les
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incorporating crystals/gemstones in a space wiring circuit could be really nice.

It's too bad your 3D printer is broken.

Audience participation is not really my thing, but if you can figure out a system whereby the sounds really respond clearly to what the audience does with the ESP8266's, that could be nice.

"Always thinking" is good. Better to have a wealth of ideas rather than a dearth.

Alright, I need to get back to debugging this circuit... take care...

.:James:.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: