electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Wolfram Tones
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Wolfram Tones
Subject description: another pattern generator
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell posted a link to Wolfram Tones in the chatroom which he turned into another module for WREN. It's probably not much
of a surprise that when I looked at it my first thought was that it might be possible to do it with some logic chips. So I did. Cool

Make sure to check the link for Wolfram Tones to get an idea what it does.

The circuit might look complex but is actually rather simple at its core. Each cell just requires a single mux and a latch. The
(ABC) control inputs of the mux are used to 'read' the current state of a cell and its neighbours. The new state is then set
according to the rules and fed into the latch. On the following low to high CLK transition the current state becomes this
new state. Repeat,..

So what's the rest of the circuit for you might ask. Although the circuit works with just muxes and latches there is a slight
problem with the cells on the outer edges; they only have one neighbour. This is what the bounderies inputs are for which
gives four different options for how the non-existent neighbours are treated.
0. the cells are white (0)
1. the cells are black (1)
2. the cells wrap around at the edges.
3. the cells wrap around at the edges but get inverted. (this last option was added because of the /Q outputs of the latches)

Then there is another thing, to get patterns it needs a seed; a black cell (or a number of them). This is what the circuit with
U12, U13, U14 is for. The seed value is set with the seed inputs and/or switches but nothing will happen untill the "LOAD SEED"
input is triggered (by switch or a signal). When it gets triggered U12a is set and the Q output becomes high. Since this output
is connected to the INH pin of the muxes their 'outputs' will basically be floating. The Q output is also connected to the AND
gates which will now pass the seed values to the latches. So on the next low to high CLK transition this becomes the current
state of the cells. If left like this nothing much will happen after this which is what U12b is for. The Q output of U12a is also
connected to the D input of U12b. The Q output of U12b is connected to the reset input of U12a. So on the next low to high
CLK transition U12a is reset and everything functions as before. Although I haven't tested it I expect that the reset will happen
slightly after the latches have loaded the seed values into the cells.

There is another way to do it which would be a serial approach. This would only require 1 mux no matter how many cells there are.
But it will need a shiftregister (or a couple), an internal oscillator and a counter. For a large number of cells this would probably
have a lower chip count but I think for this size it probably isn't worth it.

Wolfram Tones V1_0.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.63 KB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Wolfram Tones V1_0.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked you diddit Cool

Ah, at least it got a bit late I see yesterday Laughing

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And yes, eight outputs is pretty nice already, I've implemented 15 in software ... but then again in my code it works a bit different .. guess I should try this bounded version as well (with the four bounds treatment options).

Rule 30

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by blue hell on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe a pi-zero has enough pins to do this. Or Arduino.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ah, at least it got a bit late I see yesterday Laughing

It took me a while to figure out the seed function with available CMOS chips untill I realized I could make use
of the INH pins on the muxes. Oh and fitting it all on the available space was a bit tricky too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking forward to seeing your pcb for this Smile

I still think it's a problem best solved in digital-land.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh .. an analog implementation would be cool too Laughing
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing your pcb for this Smile

If I built it on perf I'd probably spread the circuit over 3 PCB's. 2 of them will have 4 muxes and a latch and 1 PCB with the rest.
Hmm, with the AND gates added to the boards with the muxes you get a system that could be easily expanded to any number of cells.
It would probably be more suitable for point to point wiring although I'm not a big fan of doing that, but that's partly because I don't
really have suitable wires for it. I bet synaesthesia could probably fit it on a pretty small board. It's almost tempting to just solder the
chips on a PCB with some headers connected to all the pins and then use dupont wires to connect everything together. Like a reverse
breadboard.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might test it with a PIC Rolling Eyes I actually have a nice extension with 32 inputs and 32 outputs that I can use for it.
heres a photo:

I have a small controller for it with a PIC but I'm not sure where that is at the moment. Actually a larger controller with
an LCD screen, a bunch of toggle switches and buttons and maybe pots could be usefull. I could add more in/outs to also
interface it with my lunetta stuff. I do have an Arduino which I haven't started with but that might be even more suitable
than a PIC for something like this as it would be easier to update the code.

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been using the small Altera MaxII CPLDs to build bigger things.
Using the block schematic design in Quartus; frowned on in the FPGA community.
The Chinese development boards are sub $10 on ebay.Search "CPLD EPM240 or EPM570"
Vidme took down the videos I posted in " A heretical approach to Lunetta design" but the block diagram file is still there at the end.
I've since dropped all the lines when I found they weren't necessary Smile

R
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

where ordinary people have a bloodstream - Mr. Phobos must have a bus-system installed
maybe from the god of binarys in order to cure us poor humans from the analog sickness

Hail the Master
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: