electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Garden
Page 12 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Why would you want to get rid of earwigs?

Quote:
Earwigs are nocturnal feeders that dine on other insects, as well as vegetation like moss, fungi and lichens. Additionally, they do eat decaying organic material ā€” think mulch or piles of leaves ā€” and may also feed on greasy food items that may be left out in the kitchen.

They look like useful insects to me...

If you own a home and want a vegetable garden, earwigs are not your friend. My first approach was to plant in pots instead of just planting in the ground. This has been ineffective, so I need a more aggressive approach. I am not trying to kill all of the earwigs in the state of California. Just the ones that attack my vegetable seedlings.

They are destructive to young seedlings, especially when there is an inordinate number of earwigs. I've planted many peppers which germinate and within a day or two the earwigs snip them off at ground level and eat the trimmings. All of my new plants have typical earwig damage - serrated cut edges of leaves, leaves with holes and new buds snipped off. This year they are especially numerous because we've just come out of an 8 year drought. Recent rains have caused an explosion in their birthrates. And they can and do bite humans if they remain on the skin long enough. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't all of the seedlings I've planted. Bean plants are normally quite robust here, but mine are stunted because the insects chew up any new growth that occurs during the night. All three of my bean plants look like they are going to die.

I also read that wiki article, but the article doesn't say what their preference is. My experience is that they prefer young tender seedlings and new tender bud shoots. Plus, I live in the desert - there is no moss and very little fungus. Also note that there are many varieties of earwigs and not all are insectivores. There are also many other creatures that have beneficial aspects - the black widow spider is an example - yes they eat insects - but they also bite humans (we have black widows here and I do what I can to eliminate them in and around the house - even though they have a beneficial aspect - I'll let less nasty spiders take care of that). I also searched for remedies which are quite numerous indicating to me that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I never trust Wikipedia to tell the entire truth.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before applying the petroleum jelly, I found 6 earwigs in the pot at 04:30 with a flashlight. The morning after I applied the petroleum jelly (unscented) there was only one earwig in the pot (which could have been a culling escapee from the night before). The next day and thereafter (3 days I think) there have been zero at a time around 04:00. It is dark and the insects are nocturnal. I find them everywhere under objects in the yard, pots, bricks, etc.

I'm waiting to receive a large container of the stuff because I have other planting vessels I'd like to protect.

I like it because it's inexpensive, not toxic and doesn't get into the soil. The band is about 2 inches wide and is just thick enough that you can see random dabs. About 5 inches (to 7) off the ground. One morning I saw 1 earwig on the pot but below the petroleum jelly band.

It may need to be wiped off and re-applied from time to time.

I can already see new growth coming out of everything that was chewed up, which was everything. It seems I might get radishes, cilantro and beans after all.

So far, I am very happy with the petroleum jelly method of earwig defense.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds promising Scott Very Happy
how wll does it hold up in the sun ?

One of the purple datura seeds has sprouted, don't know yet if it will make it but it's a start . Razz
The Solanum dulcamara (bittersweet nightshade) has started to flower so here's a photo of a pretty flower and a recent photo of the peppers.

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 02.jpg
 Description:
they're only small but I love the shape and colors
 Filesize:  87.83 KB
 Viewed:  481 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 02.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - 01.jpg
 Description:
3x Tinkerbell, 3x Purple Tiger, 3x Jalapeno
2x Habanero, 1x Jamaican Hot Red, 1x little elff
3x Ghost
 Filesize:  361.86 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - 01.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The petroleum jelly is still there, have to wait until later in the summer to observe thermal resilience, but petroleum jelly doesn't liquefy at weather temperatures even here, so I don't expect running down the container. However, with mowing and weed whacking nearby it could accumulate plant particles which might make it ineffective. However, by that time, it may no longer need to be there since older plants develop a tough outer skin that is no longer attractive to the earwigs. In any case, I've ordered a very large container of the stuff so I can just wipe it off and apply new jelly. The plants are looking much healthier now.

corruptio optimi pessima
Cfish

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could I get a picture of an earwig? Iā€™m sure I just call them something else.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig

Here they are about 1 inch long, perhaps a tad longer.

corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lots of birds seem to be enjoying the balcony garden. Tits feeding chicks (ehm) and there also some sparrows that have found their way here.
Although those aren't uncommon I actually hadn't seen them on my balcony before. So there is a lot of chirping throughout the day. Very Happy
It's a bit difficult to take photos as I have to do it from the inside through a small window but here are some of the birds.

2019 - birds - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.72 KB
 Viewed:  456 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 01.jpg

2019 - birds - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.94 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 04.jpg

2019 - birds - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.7 KB
 Viewed:  467 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 05.jpg

2019 - birds - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.7 KB
 Viewed:  479 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 07.jpg

2019 - birds - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.76 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 08.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the same time there is a bit of an aphid genocide going on as the parasitoid/predatory wasps have arrived. Twisted Evil

2019 - Parasitoid wasps - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.22 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)

2019 - Parasitoid wasps - 01.jpg

2019 - Parasitoid wasps - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.7 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)

2019 - Parasitoid wasps - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Among the regular visitors of my balcony garden is a family of 5 blue tits (1 parent, 4 chicks). I managed to capture 4 of them in 1 photo.
Also the return of,...

edit: the blue tits just arrived again (can't miss it with all the noise they make) and I now see 2 parents so that's 6 of them in total Razz

2019 - birds - 09.jpg
 Description:
can you spot all 4 of them ?

also visible in this photo are the snapdragons and foxgloves that are starting to flower.
 Filesize:  281.27 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 09.jpg

2019 - birds - 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.78 KB
 Viewed:  313 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 10.jpg

2019 - birds - 11.jpg
 Description:
it's back!
Probably a different pigeon and it doesn't seem to show any interest in nesting (yet) but I've spotted it foraging around in the witchgarden, picking at things. It doesn't seem to be pulling out young plants though.
 Filesize:  165.84 KB
 Viewed:  311 Time(s)

2019 - birds - 11.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu May 30, 2019 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last year I grew some passionflower from seed. Once it started to get colder and the leaves were turning brown I cut them back, wrapped the
container in some bubblewrap and placed it inside another container. They are pretty hardy plants but in a container (above ground) it can
freeze solid easier. When spring arrived this year and it got a bit warmer I unpacked it and they still had some healthy looking green stems.
However, instead of producing new growth they just turned brown and seemed to die off, so I didn't have much hope for them.

well, surprise! although the parts above ground have died off I just spotted some new growth on all 3 of them. cheers
Also one of the seeds I planted as a backup has sprouted.

The Tiger lily is another one I wasn't sure about. Looking back at photos from last year it was already producing flower buds around this time
but this year it hasn't even surfaced yet. I just did a bit of careful digging and there is actually a growing tip slowly rising up. Apart from not
really storing the bulb properly it might have to do with the fairly low temperatures we are having this spring. (I wonder if that is also causing
the higher than usual amount of aphids)

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.51 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 01.jpg

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.14 KB

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 02.jpg

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.05 KB

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 03.jpg

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.26 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

2019 - Passiflora incarnata - 04.jpg

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  363.56 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 03.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Speaking of sprouting,. Daturas are sprouting everywhere. They always do but it seems to be a lot more than usual this year.
No luck yet with the purple ones but the Belladonnas seem to be doing ok.

I already removed a lot of seedlings a couple of weeks ago but a lot of new ones have appeared so I have some more work to do.
Also one of the purple daturas has finally sprouted Very Happy

Phacelia tanacetifolia is flowering which is getting a lot of attention from (bumble)bees and the Armeria maritima 'Alba' is flowering too.

2019 - witchgarden - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  477.2 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

2019 - witchgarden - 02.jpg

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.04 KB
 Viewed:  283 Time(s)

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 02.jpg

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.06 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 04.jpg

2019 - Armeria maritima 'Alba' - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.25 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

2019 - Armeria maritima 'Alba' - 01.jpg

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 03.jpg
 Description:
I liked this angle ;)
 Filesize:  264.3 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 03.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I removed a lot of datura seedlings and moved others around a bit so it looks more mangeable now.
I will have to remove a couple more but I'll wait to see which ones do best.

Also a photo of the Snapdragons. (after using a spraybottle with water to get rid of some aphids)

2019 - witchgarden - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  504.5 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

2019 - witchgarden - 03.jpg

2019 - Antirrhinum - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  262.91 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

2019 - Antirrhinum - 01.jpg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tell the pigeon that if it doesn't leave, you'll take it's feathers away to make a new pillow Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder if that would make me dream of pigeons Shocked
I don't mind it so much if it doesn't start nesting, although it was trampling on some young plants earlier. I think it's just looking for food.

I posted an audio recording from my balcony of some tits and chicks here.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some older photos I hadn't uploaded yet.

2019 - Antirrhinum - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.96 KB
 Viewed:  249 Time(s)

2019 - Antirrhinum - 03.jpg

2019 - Antirrhinum - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.71 KB
 Viewed:  263 Time(s)

2019 - Antirrhinum - 05.jpg

2019 - Snapdragons (Circus Clowns) - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.01 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)

2019 - Snapdragons (Circus Clowns) - 02.jpg

2019 - Digitalis - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.41 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

2019 - Digitalis - 05.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.98 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 09.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and some recent photos.
A lot of plants that were supposed to flower towards the end of the summer have died but I have some plants left.

2019 - Convolvulus tricolor - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  293.12 KB
 Viewed:  236 Time(s)

2019 - Convolvulus tricolor - 02.jpg

2019 - Nicotiana alata (Tinkerbell F2 Hybride) - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.33 KB
 Viewed:  249 Time(s)

2019 - Nicotiana alata (Tinkerbell F2 Hybride) - 02.jpg

2019 - Geranium robertianum - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  396.15 KB
 Viewed:  244 Time(s)

2019 - Geranium robertianum - 02.jpg

2019 - Tagetes patula (Jolly Jester) - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.03 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

2019 - Tagetes patula (Jolly Jester) - 01.jpg

2019 - witchgarden - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.07 KB
 Viewed:  254 Time(s)

2019 - witchgarden - 04.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

time for another update

2019 - Morning Glories (Milky Way) - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.09 KB
 Viewed:  234 Time(s)

2019 - Morning Glories (Milky Way) - 01.jpg

2019 - Morning Glories (Milky Way) - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.93 KB
 Viewed:  230 Time(s)

2019 - Morning Glories (Milky Way) - 02.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.02 KB
 Viewed:  237 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - 02.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.76 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - 03.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.15 KB
 Viewed:  247 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - 04.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Tiger lily survived and is currently flowering Very Happy

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.95 KB
 Viewed:  223 Time(s)

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 04.jpg

2019 - Antirrhinum - 10.jpg
 Description:
snapdragon seedpod
 Filesize:  119.76 KB
 Viewed:  228 Time(s)

2019 - Antirrhinum - 10.jpg

AlanP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Possibly Phobos' fault, this. Dill, parsley, and chives, all in a pot just outside the kitchen door.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Happy Growing!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a nice face :-)

AlanP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dill first, then the chives appeared, and the parsley is just now putting in an appearance.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see some fresh greens from the other side of the planet Very Happy

On this side things are dying off but I got some peppers and the Ipomoea lobata (Spanish flag morning glory) is flowering.

2019 - Pepperland - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  363.11 KB
 Viewed:  177 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - 05.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - Jalapeno 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.05 KB
 Viewed:  161 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - Jalapeno 02.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - Jamaican hot red - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.3 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - Jamaican hot red - 01.jpg

2019 - Solanum pseudocapsicum - 03.jpg
 Description:
not a pepper and actually poisonous
 Filesize:  210.12 KB
 Viewed:  178 Time(s)

2019 - Solanum pseudocapsicum - 03.jpg

2019 - Ipomoea lobata - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.34 KB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)

2019 - Ipomoea lobata - 03.jpg

AlanP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My sunflower is just starting to flower, now Smile Happy first of January!

Planted a few of them, this seems to be the only survivor.

sunflower.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.32 KB
 Viewed:  122 Time(s)

sunflower.JPG

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starting my garden this year with planting of pepper seeds indoors. I have them inside at night and in the sun during the day. I planted 8 jalapenos and 4 serranos. 6 jalapenos and 2 serranos have already germinated and none of the plants have trapped cotyledons in the seedhead (seen that kill pepper seedlings). So these look healthy and I hope to have most of them grow to fruiting. I LOVE peppers Cool Cool Cool I'll probably do Cherry tomatoes too, but I need to buy seeds, I tried my old ones by they were too old and didn't germinate. Currently waiting for the ONE avocado I have on the tree to ripen. We had a bumper crop of oranges, lots of juice.

corruptio optimi pessima
Page 12 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: