electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
My twin SN-Voice
Page 2 of 18 [428 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The SN Voice schematic diagram has been redrawn and checked against the original. Now I am ready to layout the printed circuit board. This will take a bit of time as I am not using an autorouter software package right now. That will change later this year as I will be aquiring some nice "autorouting" PCB software and schematic editor.

The board will has (3) 12-Pin connectors on it. I will be supplying a double sided, silk screened, green solder masked PCB, and, most likely connector kits, including wire, to make up the the mating connectors for the SN-Voice board. Along with this will be documentation showing the interconnects and wire diagrams to all pots and switches. I am not looking to make money on this so I will come up with a fair price for all who want boards.

More later ........

Bill
questionable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool. thanks.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spiff. Do you plan on putting any extra pads for expansion on relevant pins (like the mixer pins for example)?

Also - have you spotted any sockets that will accomodate the skinny SN76477s? I've got one that I received with my DSC2000 board from Blacet a few years back, but I haven't checked a source for them.

Sounds like it's going to be a top grade board!

Cheers,
Scott
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Spiff. Do you plan on putting any extra pads for expansion on relevant pins (like the mixer pins for example)?

Well, I thought about that and I was not sure if I should stay true to the TH design, OR, incorporate some of your ideas also. I know you had some great ideas for modifications. I am willing to make a board with a few extras. More I/O and extras just means a slightly more expensive PCB. A compromise would be to add maybe two or three KEY changes. Would you be willing to suggest to me what you think those changes/additions would be? I would gladly incorporate them for us. Very Happy

Quote:
Also - have you spotted any sockets that will accomodate the skinny SN76477s? I've got one that I received with my DSC2000 board from Blacet a few years back, but I haven't checked a source for them.

Well, is a socket really necessary? I just planned to solder the chips onto the board. The rationale is that it is very RARE that IC's really go bad. It is likely I will socket the chip and never pull it. SO what I can do is just consult the data sheet and put the footprints in place to accommodate a skinny DIP and wide DIP.

Have you asked John from Blacet where he got the socket?

I will be on vacation for the next week (leaving on Monday so I will check back for replies this weekend) so please think about what you would like, or anyone else for that matter, and we can all agree on what to incorporate. Very Happy

Thanks Scott !

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
very cool. thanks.

Your welcome Question able

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is part of a prototype I have been working on that illustrates the type of connectors that will be used on the SN-Voice circuit card assembly.

These happen to be three high quality SSM2164 based VCA's prototype boards as part of a larger RISC-Controller based modulator I have been building.

Bill

VCAPROTO.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.85 KB
 Viewed:  18275 Time(s)

VCAPROTO.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I will be on vacation for the next week (leaving on Monday so I will check back for replies this weekend) so please think about what you would like, or anyone else for that matter, and we can all agree on what to incorporate.

Back from vacation! Since no special requests were made, the board is nearly complete and is true to the original TH design. I will make the announcement on a new topic "SN VOICE PCB's AVAILABLE !!" and post all the details.

Bill
questionable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds good, looking forward to it. hope your vacation was nice.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the Stites/Henry SN Voice circuit card component layout! Things are moving along Very Happy

Now, time to lay in the traces and ground planes ..... nothing is real critical here...

The PC board is 2.75" x 5.00" so it will fit in most form factors ........

Bill

SNVOICE_LAYOUT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.84 KB
 Viewed:  13737 Time(s)

SNVOICE_LAYOUT.jpg

sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hot damn! that's a nice looking layout.

especially compared to this chaos:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill - can you make sure to put solder pads for pins 25, 26 & 27? This will allow for control of the mixer circuit.

glad you put lots of room for c16 (0.47uF mylar) - the one i got is huge.

i'm shocked at how accurately this VCO tracks - i'm getting almost 7 or 8 octaves out of it. it's almost as accurate as my blacet vco.

in the next day or so i'll be posting some nutty duophonic samples using both SN-Voices together as well as the 2 pulse lfo's from each 556 modulating the mixer-logic.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill - can you make sure to put solder pads for pins 25, 26 & 27? This will allow for control of the mixer circuit.

Will do sir! Just modified the schematic and layout. The MIXER SELECT A,B and C will all be on the connector Very Happy

Quote:
glad you put lots of room for c16 (0.47uF mylar) - the one i got is huge.

Yes, the Mylars tend to be larger than most capacitors, especially that 0.47 uF unit. Shocked I had some on hand so I just measured the lead spacing to get things right.

Quote:
i'm shocked at how accurately this VCO tracks - i'm getting almost 7 or 8 octaves out of it. it's almost as accurate as my blacet vco.

Wow, that is encouraging to hear! I thought it was specified at 4 or 5 octaves. Cool!

Quote:
in the next day or so i'll be posting some nutty duophonic samples using both SN-Voices together as well as the 2 pulse lfo's from each 556 modulating the mixer-logic.

OK, good. That should be interesting to hear. Pulse it fast enough and I would imagine it will produce some interesting timbres.

Quote:
especially compared to this chaos:

Oh, but we love chaos don't we? Actually, lots of my stuff looks like that also. As long as it works and the connections are stable, thats what counts.

I will keep an eye out for the samples. I will do a bit more board layout tonight while listening to, of course, some "electro-music". Very Happy

I am juggling two major projects right now but I am rather enjoying doing the SN Voice Board and interacting on the forum here. It keeps me "grounded"

Chat soon,
Bill
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're doing some really nice looking work SM.
If I didn't have a to do list a mile long I'd build one of these.
Well, maybe one day.

sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill - thanks for adding those Smile

To summarize my experience, when it comes to bang-for-the-buck, it's hard to beat the features of an SN-Voice (~$45 US for parts, not including PCB):

Voices:
- PWM VCO
- digital noise generator
- audio-rate LFO
- Triangle VCO (separate output)

CV Outputs:
- Attack/Release EG
- LFO

CV/Gate Inputs
- 1v/oct fm
- exponential fm
- linear fm
- noise sweep
- noise sweep keyboard tracking
- gate

Controls:
- Attack/Release
- adjustable AR EG curve
- envelope enable/disable
- LFO speed
- LFO range: lo/med/hi
- Noise Sweep
- Noise Filter

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You're doing some really nice looking work SM.
If I didn't have a to do list a mile long I'd build one of these.
Well, maybe one day.

Sure, Uncle "K", I know the feeling. Thanks for the comment.

Well, you can always grab a PC board when they are ready and build it later ... Very Happy I will have the pricing soon and I will supply connector kits and documentation.

How is the ASM2 coming along?

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I thought it was specified at 4 or 5 octaves.

Well, the guy that put up the web page couldn't calibrate himself out of a paper bag Very Happy

It is definitely looking good - I'm sure you've mentioned it, but I ask a second time - will this board accomodate both the skinny and cockroachian SN76477s?

Cheerios,
Scott
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It is definitely looking good - I'm sure you've mentioned it, but I ask a second time - will this board accomodate both the skinny and cockroachian SN76477s?

Hmmm, oh yes, you did. It seems that the skinny DIP has an odd lead spacing and I had trouble making a custom footprint for it in the Express PCB software. When I align the pads using the snap to grid feature, I can't make the pads snap to the desired spacing. Confused Free motion is just too time consuming and is never perfect.

Scott, maybe you can (or someone else) can help me out here. If someone can make custom the footprint for "Express PCB" that will acommodate the skinny DIP, I will gladly drop it into my design for us.

If all else fails, a carrier board can be had for only a few bucks from Blacet.

http://blacet.com/misc.html

I will be upgrading to Eagle Layout soon but not for this project. It also autoroutes which is MUCH better than laying things out by hand.

Thanks,
Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got a done with the skinny footprint! I just got a few tips from tech support at expressPCB and they were very helpful. I figured I would research it since I also had to create an 80 pin PQFP package with 0.5mm pitch. Here is a partial view of the SN Voice PC board illustrating that either a skinny or wide DIP package can now be used in the board.

Bill

skinny_adapt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.1 KB
 Viewed:  17989 Time(s)

skinny_adapt.jpg

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Groovy!
questionable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, good solution there.
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine, looking forward to the boards becoming available. Thanks in advance.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
State Machine, looking forward to the boards becoming available. Thanks in advance

Your very welcome. I will have pricing soon. If I can get at least 18 or above interested, the board cost will be only $18.00 or LESS!! I don't profit at all from this. I just like to do it.

For small additional cost, I will ship connector 3 Headers, 3 Housings, and 40 Pins for the interconnects. The board will also include interconnect diagrams, Layout and parts placement diagram, special build instructions, a part list (I added 2 caps and 2 resistors to the original circuit)

Bill
Joel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds excellent! any chance those kits might find their way over to the uk?
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Also - have you spotted any sockets that will accomodate the skinny SN76477s?

http://www.mouser.com

part#: 575-693428 Smile

Nice PCB work Mr. Machine! Count me in for a board or two!

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by germaniac on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
part#: 575-693428

OK great, thanks !!! Perfect.

Bill
Page 2 of 18 [428 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: