electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
PS3100 Resonator PCBs
Page 9 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
Well, a single module looks a lot better than a whole range of them. I cut the panels by hand, so when you combine a number of them, it starts looking messy...

those DIY Systems have a Charme, Systems from Stock don't have for me.
Your one is very nice.
Hopefully it sounds also like this Wink
etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.casia.org/modular/tripleres.mp3
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
http://www.casia.org/modular/tripleres.mp3

sounds glorious!
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Matthias

Well after some delays i'm finally building my ps3100 Wink i wanted to confirm that where it has R31 listed twice in the past list as a 10K res it shold be r31 and r32? i'm sure it is but figured i'd check. I have looked through the posts but couldnt find mention of this.

cheers
Brett
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
Hi Matthias

Well after some delays i'm finally building my ps3100 Wink i wanted to confirm that where it has R31 listed twice in the past list as a 10K res it shold be r31 and r32? i'm sure it is but figured i'd check. I have looked through the posts but couldnt find mention of this.

cheers
Brett

that's correct. in general follow the schematic. the schematic is the source for the BOM, which was edited afterwards and therefore has errors (hope you found the onlyone...). thank you very much for pointing this...

bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks matey, i figured as much but its nice to have confirmation Wink
bambam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Matthias

Just powered on my completed board last night and wow its amazing, such a smooth lush sound Wink

I was about to do my panel but have seen reference here and there of a LFO speed range switch, is there any doco around on it? Because i found mine is fairly slow even at the highest speed. It is capable of amazingly slow sweeps which i want to retain but i'd love to be able to switch into a differnt mode and get very fast if possible.
I was thinking its the poly cap right next to the tl072 in the LFO section that determines the speed but wasnt sure how to work out a mod to maybe switch to a different value cap.....i have a 330n cap there by the way.

I did also want to check is it meant to be LIN pots all the way through or should some by LOG?

Anyway it sounds great already so well done on the design Wink

Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
Hi Matthias
Just powered on my completed board last night and wow its amazing, such a smooth lush sound Wink

nice to hear, brett.

Quote:
I was about to do my panel but have seen reference here and there of a LFO speed range switch, is there any doco around on it? Because i found mine is fairly slow even at the highest speed. It is capable of amazingly slow sweeps which i want to retain but i'd love to be able to switch into a differnt mode and get very fast if possible.
I was thinking its the poly cap right next to the tl072 in the LFO section that determines the speed but wasnt sure how to work out a mod to maybe switch to a different value cap.....i have a 330n cap there by the way.

there is nothing fancy about that. it only needs a SPST on-off-on switch, two additional caps and some wiring. the smaller the capacitance, the faster the LFO. so you choose the smallest cap you want for that C16. then you wire the two additional caps in parallel, selectable by the switch like in this picture (here it is ken stones utility LFO). try different values and see what satisfies you the most:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
I did also want to check is it meant to be LIN pots all the way through or should some by LOG?

i am quite happy with the linear ones.
the mix pot is modded to a centered audio pot by the resistors in parallel and this mix section is the weakest point of this design anyway (just tried to keep it close to the original design).

don't forget to show us the finished module. i am more than curious to see the things people built from this PCB, just because i never did something like this before.

krisp14u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got 2 pcbs up and running so i'm going to get 2 MOTM face plates made up
any one want to join in for a group buy ?
if I can get 5 ordered it will be about 30GBP each + postage to you
pm me if interested
I will be ordering soon

PS3100 RES 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.75 KB
 Viewed:  11425 Time(s)

PS3100 RES 2.jpg

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:
got 2 pcbs up and running so i'm going to get 2 MOTM face plates made up

is it a schaeffer? did you use hpgl for the scales? if you do, you will spare some money, i bet.

prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik,

have you been convinced to do any more pcb's of this yet? Wink
etaoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I posted this in the Thomas Henry forum, but I might as well link it here. This is the triple resonator controlled by the Mankato running as a 3-phase LFO:

http://www.dompselaar.org/Mankato/mankato_3lfo.mp3

fonik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prophei wrote:
fonik,

have you been convinced to do any more pcb's of this yet? Wink

i probably will ask again end of this year. now i stuck in this super controller i can't force to work... Mad

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
I posted this in the Thomas Henry forum, but I might as well link it here. This is the triple resonator controlled by the Mankato running as a 3-phase LFO:

http://www.dompselaar.org/Mankato/mankato_3lfo.mp3

For everyone's info, we generally discourage cross posting but this kind of cross linking is excellent. Thanks. It helps the general usefulness of the forum tremendously.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
krisp14u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

is it a schaeffer? did you use hpgl for the scales? if you do, you will spare some money, i bet.

yes its a schaeffer panel
yes I used hpgl files for the scales
I've added the fpd file in case any one wants to alter it

cheers paul D

PS3100-motm.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PS3100-motm.zip
 Filesize:  2.28 KB
 Downloaded:  261 Time(s)

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks heaps Matthias Wink

That diagram was the same one i was looking at on kens site so thanks for confirming its the right way to go. I pretty mush had assumed that i'd need an extra switch so when drilling the panel out i made a space for it.

I'lll derfinitely take some pictures to post when its done, i'm mounting mine into a double width dot com blank and it fits really well.

I did notice my mix pot seems to be a good curve until right at the end of the wet side when it suddenly cuts alot of the original audio except for what the resonator lets through but from what i've read etc thats kind of normal yeah?

I am loving the module though and will be building the second one soon i think Wink I have noticed its not that great on bassy sounds or bass drums etc but seems to excel on noise based stuff or strings etc

When adjusting the trimmers i basically set them so when the freq pots were at there lowest setting the LED had just gone out is that pretty much the way to do it?

Anyway big thumbs up for a great design.

Brett
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry forgot to ask with the LFO speed switch is the value in the doco of 220n the lowest value i can use for the LFO? or can i go lower to get an even faster lfo or am i wasting my time because 220n is already very fast?

Cheers
Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:
I've added the fpd file in case any one wants to alter it
cheers paul D

hi all,
i just couldn't resist and edited pauls great motm panel. i was able to lower the cost by about 10%:

PS3100-motm_v2.zip
 Description:
EDIT: file re-uploaded after server crash...

Download
 Filename:  PS3100-motm_v2.zip
 Filesize:  2.14 KB
 Downloaded:  225 Time(s)

Last edited by fonik on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
I did notice my mix pot seems to be a good curve until right at the end of the wet side when it suddenly cuts alot of the original audio except for what the resonator lets through but from what i've read etc thats kind of normal yeah?

as said before this is the weakest part of the design. you may want to try different values for R14/R15...

Quote:
When adjusting the trimmers i basically set them so when the freq pots were at there lowest setting the LED had just gone out is that pretty much the way to do it?

that's the way i do it. nevertheless you could set it up different: set higher initial with the trimemrs and use higher values for R39-41.

Quote:
Sorry forgot to ask with the LFO speed switch is the value in the doco of 220n the lowest value i can use for the LFO? or can i go lower to get an even faster lfo or am i wasting my time because 220n is already very fast?

try different values. with 2.2n you should be in the audible range. 47n would be very fast i guess... try different values and choose by liking.
i wanted a very slow LFO for a subtle change over time as the effect of this module is rather smooth and subtle anyway, IMO.

etaoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
as said before this is the weakest part of the design. you may want to try different values for R14/R15...

Did you ever try the dual pot that was in one of the PS3100 designs?

fonik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
Quote:

Did you ever try the dual pot that was in one of the PS3100 designs?

no, i didn't. maybe i should have done this. the best solution would have been to use a reversed panning circuit built around an additional dual OPA. if i should ever do a 2nd run i would modify the PCB in that way.
anyway, i am happy with it as it is (actually i am never using the mixer pot. i always use the wet signal only Shocked ).

etaoin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(actually i am never using the mixer pot. i always use the wet signal only Shocked ).

Same here...

krisp14u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

hi all,
i just couldn't resist and edited pauls great motm panel. i was able to lower the cost by about 10%:

Hay Cheers Fonik

putting the text in 1 block saves a lot of money .

I will have to try this trick on other panels i'm doing

paul D

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

krisp14u wrote:

putting the text in 1 block saves a lot of money .

Very Happy
obviously the software calculates by objects and then by size of these objects, where letters are the unit for size of text objects.
(that applies to graphic objects too, thus we can spare some bucks by using HPGL-diles.)

bambam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info again Smile

I will definitely keep the 330n or even go higher as i love the slow sweeps this is capable of and agree this module excels at it.

I'll play around and post the values i end up using.

I'm not too stressed about the mix pot either as i always use it at fully wet or just slightly less so its no big problem

Cheers
Brett
Page 9 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: