electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller Module
Page 8 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next

Is there an interest in Super Controller PCBs?
Yes, by all means.
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
No, it just doesn't cut the mustard, i think.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. I mean, i... er...
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
SOLD OUT

Wink

oh, and welcome

Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: SN76477 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello again!

Sorry to hear the PC boards are sold out.
Will there be a new batch or that's it?
Does anybody have an extra board?
Thanks in advance!
Tro
julianw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darn, Sad Knew I should of ordered some of these, got caught up in some other projects and completely forgot - If you plan another run, I'd definately take two, I don't mind paying upfront either.

Julian
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@fonik:

i finished my MOTM version of the 76477, however i am curious how the INITIAL and SWEEP should work on that module.

i tried to adjust T2 according to documentation, but i just don't see a change on the oscilloscope. cabling is correct now (fixed some wrong wires) and should be working IMHO.

All of the rest is working.

Thanks for the great module !
Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jczmok/sets/72157603370942917/

serenechaos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SWEET!
Where'd you get the panel?
(I need a MOTM format one, that looks real nice).
Robert Smile
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi jan,
congrats on your nice module. you did a neat job as usual!

unit-sound wrote:
i finished my MOTM version of the 76477, however i am curious how the INITIAL and SWEEP should work on that module.

the SWEEP switch (S3) selects the CV source for the noise clock: internal LFO or external CV.

with the INITIAL control you set the base noise clock freq.

Quote:
i tried to adjust T2 according to documentation, but i just don't see a change on the oscilloscope. cabling is correct now (fixed some wrong wires) and should be working IMHO.

T2 adjusts the noise clock offset. for setting up the noise clock CV you have to select external sweep. then follow the instructions. yo won't need an oscilloscope, just your ears (sound yes/no?).

if there is no change in noise sound at all, there is good news and bad news (as usual). the bad news: there must be something wrong. the good news is: both the circuit and the PCB is proven to be correct so you will get it working in the end.

when S3 set to internal, does the noise sound change following the internal LFO? it should do so, independent from the noise clock CV circuitry around U7 5-7.

philpeery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

unit-sound wrote:
i finished my MOTM version of the 76477

Hey Unit-sound! Excellent looking MOTM panel! I am going to be working on a few of my FONIK modules over the weekend, and was wondering if you would be willing to post details on your panel design. Did you use Front Panel Designer for it? Looks sweet!

Phil
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

philpeery wrote:
unit-sound wrote:
i finished my MOTM version of the 76477

Hey Unit-sound! Excellent looking MOTM panel! I am going to be working on a few of my FONIK modules over the weekend, and was wondering if you would be willing to post details on your panel design. Did you use Front Panel Designer for it? Looks sweet!

Phil

yes. I can make the FPD file available. I'll update my diy pages to have the files listed as well.

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couldn't you add a simple mod of voltage control over the noise filter by connecting an NPN as a current sink to pin 5? Or expo control?
Tronato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Is there anyone of you fine gentlemen interested in a brand new unpopulated PCB of the Supercontroller?

PM me please....

Thanks!

TRON

EDIT!

SOLD less than 2 minutes after I posted this!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Turned this module on today for the 1st time - works perfectly
Well done Thomas for the design and Fonik for the PCB.

The noise is really different and useful, flicking thru the range switch really changes the waveform.
S&H...I have never appreciated S&H before but my opinion has now been inverted Embarassed

This is a super module!!
Appliancide*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone has a pcb that they are willing to part with, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
camelneck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The portion of the schematic involving the Noise Sweep is very perplexing to me. I have no doubt that this circuit works, but I'm having trouble understanding how it works.

Some time ago, I experimented with this IC. Although I didn't use a CV to sweep the noise clock, my circuit did have a pot which controlled the frequency of the internal noise clock, and this circuit was connected to pin 3 (and I think pin 4 also).

On Fonik's schematic, the Ext CV input, which is used to sweep the noise clock, is applied to pin 16 (Ext VCO Control). How can this pin be used to sweep the noise clock when it is for Ext VCO Control? Why not use pin 3? (Even the SN76477 datasheet recommends pin 3 for this purpose.)

Can somebody please explain how it is possible to sweep the noise clock using pin 16?

Thanks,
David
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

camelneck wrote:
On Fonik's schematic, the Ext CV input, which is used to sweep the noise clock, is applied to pin 16 (Ext VCO Control). How can this pin be used to sweep the noise clock when it is for Ext VCO Control? Why not use pin 3? (Even the SN76477 datasheet recommends pin 3 for this purpose.)

Can somebody please explain how it is possible to sweep the noise clock using pin 16?

it's just because thomas henry used the sn76477 VCO to clock the noise Shocked he mentioned it would give way better results (therefore this module does not provide a audio VCO as the SN Voice does).

Tronato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Is there a document somewhere explaining exactly what it is that this module does or can do?

Thanks!

TRON
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just see 1st post in this thread. technical details of how THs circuit actually works can be found in the polyphony article and in the book.
intellijel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Fonik,

I just wanted to clarify which controls reset/restart the LFO?

e.g.
With the delay trig in, after the delay time does the LFO always start at the beginning of it's cycle?

When you assert a gate signal, does the LFO start it's cycle? etc..

thanks!
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

intellijel wrote:
e.g.
With the delay trig in, after the delay time does the LFO always start at the beginning of it's cycle?

yes.

Quote:
When you assert a gate signal, does the LFO start it's cycle?
yes.

you are absolutely right, and it didn' occure to me until this moment: we have a syncable LFO here! Shocked

concerning the gate/delay function: these are alternate modes, not simultanious.

intellijel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Not enough designs take into account the need for syncabe/resettable parameters so that we can do rhtyhmic stuff Smile

While I have your attention, I couldn't see anything in the notes about 12V (eurorack) operation. Do I need to change any resistor values?
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if anyone build his super controller for 12V operation he might chime in here.

maybe you won't have to change anything. most critical parts are referenced to the onboard 5V anyway. however, you could adjust R55 and R56 (schematic page 3, page 6 of documentation). lower their values to widen the range of the potentiometers if needed.

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just wanted to express my appreciation here for the excellent job done, once again, by mr. fonik

excellent project, excellent comms, excellent delivery speed, first quality PCB and docs

just shows things CAN be done differently!

thanks

Wink

aero
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for the kind words, aero,

however, i have to say one word about quality. these boards are just a reorder of the 1st run from expressPCB. it is leadfree ROHS and i strongly recommend to store it not too long, or if you want to put it on the shelf for a longer time, store it in a small bag with silicon if possible, in order to keep it dry as possible.
i you one day find the pads have become dull just sand it carefully.

that's part of the ROHS-deal?!

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no worries it wont be on the shelf for long Wink
Luka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey matthias

i'm just designing my panel at the moment
im wondering if you can confirm all the normalised connections in the panel
since im am using bananas i need to add a switch for each

so far i have noted

+5v > Gate in
noise out > s&h in

also your panel suggests to me that all of the pots are reversible attenuators/control. is this correct?

i have also noticed you do not have the hold function on the lfo any more?
was there a reason for removing this?

and lastly is the much difference between the gate and square output on the lfo?

here is my current design
would appretiate any hints on functional errors

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice panel, luka!

Luka wrote:
i'm just designing my panel at the moment
im wondering if you can confirm all the normalised connections in the panel
since im am using bananas i need to add a switch for each

so far i have noted

+5v > Gate in
noise out > s&h in

that's it.
and you do not have to normal the s&h in to the noise. you could patch it with your banana anyways. Wink

Quote:
also your panel suggests to me that all of the pots are reversible attenuators/control. is this correct?

no. it is my old affliction: the +/- means nothing but more/less for me. not related to any actual measurements/voltages.

Quote:
i have also noticed you do not have the hold function on the lfo any more?
was there a reason for removing this?

i just don't need/want it. Very Happy

Quote:
and lastly is the much difference between the gate and square output on the lfo?

yes, it is. the gate and trigger is uni-polar, above GND only. the triangel and square waves are centered around GND.
furthermore the phase of the gate is shifted by 180 degrees in relation to the square. i don't know why thomas designed it this way. any ideas anybody?

concerning the LEDs: you show one LED for the tri/square and one for the gate/trigger outputs. it is actually a good idea to have a separate LED for the gate out at least (see above: phase, now that we talked about it i will perhaps add it to my module in future). the PCB/design does not provide this, though. there is one LED for the tri/square out and one for the current LFO status (on/off).

Page 8 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: