electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Moog or SSM filters for my Juno 106: worth trying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Samples please? Anyone? Confused
mome rath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Uncle Krunkus wrote:
and tap the pliers with a larger set of pliers or small hammer. The pin will just pop out.

And when you're lazy you can just push them out with a hot iron Shocked

correct, sir!!
jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how is this going?
any hope this would still work on a juno or a jupiter 6?
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any chance with making tutorial?

i have few ssm2044 and i'd like to use it instead of juno's vcf! Smile

thanks Smile
johans121

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a fascinating thread! I have a friend who has an HS60 (juno 106 w/speakers) with a couple dead voices and this may very well be a solution worth pursuing. Please continue to post your progress!

-Jim
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

agreed. mine has 2 dead voices.
Sebo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
Do you see this:
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/03/possible-repair-technique-for-80017a.html
I will be trying that soon.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

probably could start buying voice-dead Juno 106s and fix the chips like he has and sell them. hope this and the filter replacement can be more discussed by those with knowlodge.
Mooger5

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings

Well I´ve found the old samples! Thought they were lost but here they are, once again.

SSMJUNO-1.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SSMJUNO-1.wav
 Filesize:  4.73 MB
 Downloaded:  1039 Time(s)

Mooger5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Second sample...

SSMJUNO-2.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SSMJUNO-2.wav
 Filesize:  4.77 MB
 Downloaded:  1008 Time(s)

Mooger5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Third and final...
Awful playing technique, I know Smile

Comments are elsewhere in the thread, since it´s the same old samples.

Keep in mind I never got to finish the project; it´s just to show it works, in case somebody´s still interested.

SSMJUNO-3.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SSMJUNO-3.mp3
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Downloaded:  1023 Time(s)

Mooger5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished prototyping the final version. The filter sounds clean now. And squelchy. Listen to the soundfile.
I´m still surprised how simple it turned out to be. I gotta go now. Tomorrow we´ll have a look at the schematic. I´m struggling with ExpressPCB (some things don´t seem to work), so I´ll just sketch it on paper.

ssmjunoV2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ssmjunoV2.mp3
 Filesize:  3.76 MB
 Downloaded:  1154 Time(s)

Mooger5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here´s the schematic. As you can see the filter part is a blatant copy of what´s in the datasheet. It just sounds fine.

Ground connections from the SSM2044 and the TL081 go straight to pin 7 of the voiceboard. From the BA6110 to pin 8. Pin 3 of the OTA I left unconnected (N.C.).

Feel free to ask any questions, make any remarks. I´m still learning. Wink

Replacement for 80017a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.83 KB
 Viewed:  646 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Replacement for 80017a.JPG

radek tymecki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there any chance for proto-pcb ?

it'll be easier 4 me Very Happy
jwilsey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet! I am all over this. I am glad that you found the time to work on this mooger, good stuff. Laughing
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, what you see is not finished yet. And I´ll probably give up on this one. A few resistors are not yet soldered, still lots of traces to cut and due to the power rails and connections between the chips there´ll be lots of noodles flying around. This one would resemble the innards of an old japanese radio. There´s plenty of space, so no reason to cram the components in such small boards. Besides it won´t provide the best ventilation. I think I´ll make a neater solution.

Sem título.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.97 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

Sem título.jpg

Sem título2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.41 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

Sem título2.jpg

radek tymecki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok we're waiting then! Smile
Mooger5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha just take your time then, as stripboard is still a bit messy. Regular perforated board less so, and this is the best I can do. Smile

"#$%&/ Just noticed two errors - IC3 pin 8 should be connected to voice board pin 10 and not connected to IC3 pin 7... (edit - it´s fine afterall, the wire was misrepresented by the program, running over the connection between pin 6 & 7).

My drawn schematic also has a few goofs in the graphic representation of the BA6110 Embarassed

SSMJuno.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.08 KB
 Viewed:  620 Time(s)

SSMJuno.jpg

radek tymecki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok i'm waiting for final protoboard and calibration procedure
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, what final proto-board? The final layout is already posted there. Just populate the board exactly as pictured and it will work. Ok, there are a few errors: there is no IC4 (you can blame the program for that one) , one of the caps is not 180pf but 820 instead and one resistor is wired twice to ground, but they´re easily verified when compared to the drawn schematic.

As for the calibration procedure, just follow the service manual indications, but do it after all the six boards are installed. There will be six aditional active devices (the TL081s) that I expect will draw a bit more current, with possible voltage dropping, so it´ll be best to start by calibrating the power supply.
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jwilsey wrote:
Sweet! I am all over this. I am glad that you found the time to work on this mooger, good stuff. Laughing

Thanks! I finished one board last night and it worked first time. "Only" five to go now. Don´t hesitate to ask for help if necessary.
Mooger5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the first module. The solder side looks a mess but it´s working faultlessly. I used wirewrap wire and the components´ "legs" straight connected where possible. Finally I insulated the solder side with Plastik 70 spray.
It´s a tedious job. Takes more time to make one module than to populate six manufactured PCBs, so I´m already divaguing whether or not the filter directly linked to the vca would be a better option. At least getting rid of that extra opamp would make everything much easier to assemble. It was one of the initial attempts and it all sounded either weak or distorted, but I think I know where the fault lies, now. Tomorrow I´ll breadboard it (it will be the last attempt, I promise) and keep you all posted.

IMGP0537.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  486.89 KB
 Viewed:  474 Time(s)

IMGP0537.JPG

IMGP0538.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  487.32 KB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

IMGP0538.JPG

johans121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mooger5 wrote:
Here is the first module.

THAT, sir, is F'ing awesome!

-Jim
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool man!
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Always good to hear words of approval! Thanks guys thumleft

Well, I was about to post my recent thoughts on the CEM3396 as a cheaper and far easier to assemble alternative for the project, but I better not get myself carried away by it. The 2044 sounds fantastic and it´s time to reckon the fun is over and the serious work awaits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: