electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Interested in Tau Pipe Phaser / Flanger boards ?
Page 24 of 26 [640 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JoeMorris wrote:
Another possibly silly noob question: Are metallized film capacitors like these:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1669202
OK for the 40 15nf caps in the Tau?

Yes.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juergen, CV-out = output from LFO

CV in ,is that direct cv control or is it cv control of the lfo?
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?!

It is simple.

Just look at this : http://www.jhaible.de/tau/jh_tau_sch_page3_control.pdf

CV OUT is PITCH pot signal...

But you can have LFO OUT with the CV IN socket (no joke) Very Happy
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't understand,what controls the vc in ?

i have to send the frontpanel designs to the manufacture but i think am wrong.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

The CV out and CV in jacks are for linking two devices together.
The CV in doesn't make a good "general" CV input.

But I think I have written about this earlier in this thread.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
TekniK wrote:

The CV out and CV in jacks are for linking two devices together.
The CV in doesn't make a good "general" CV input.

JH.

Thanks ,i found the answer on page 20

Funky40 wrote:
as it is a crossfade between internal LFO and the external source.
I asssume that this behave is correct ?
Unfortunately i have not made the external CV input with an attenuator.
I would recommend this, and i will change it on one Module that anyway must be repaneled.

Yes, it's a sort of crossfade between manual setting and the internal LFO, just as in the original.
I think it makes a lot of sense that way, as all this is connected to the 1/x branch of the CV circuitry, where you get the "typical" 1/x sweep that evokes a feeling of thru-zero modulation (despite not being a thru zero modulation), only with a certain amount of modulation CV. The "CV crossfade" approach is an easy way to keep the CV level in the "interesting" range for any mix of manual and LFO sweep.
The CV input that breaks the path from the manual sweep pot to this 1/x modulation circuit, is not the recommended input for general-purose external CVs. I have copied this from the original Tau effect, too, and I think it was mainly meant for combining two effect boxes in a master-slave configuration.

For general-purpose external modulation, there is always the exponential (V/oct) input, which works independent from the internal modulation.

JH.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

jhaible wrote:

JH.

Thanks ,i found the answer on page 20

I vote to avoid thread over 10 or 12 pages Very Happy

(sorry for my answer, a bit abrupt ?, the whole cv part is not "so" simple...)

and you still can use CV IN socket as an lfo output (SWEEP RANGE full ccw)

Cool
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funky farm from france,did u know this phaser sounds same like the rsf phaser modul from the modular rsf system,,the rsf had 12 poles and it did contains an epoxyed submodule block,i had 2 of them
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you must be lucky !

it sounds the same with 12 stages ? resonance/flanger style ?

I guess rsf is one of the most rare stuff around here Very Happy
TekniK

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:
you must be lucky !

it sounds the same with 12 stages ? resonance/flanger style ?

I guess rsf is one of the most rare stuff around here Very Happy

yes with only 12,but it doesn't matter this one from JH is a direct replacement

in fact on the rsf its when u set the 'flange' mode u get that deep resonance like on the JH one otherwise not

i have somewhere a demo,i will search for it,then we can try the same with those from JH (but mine are not build yet)
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finished mine last night - started first time, sounding reallly cool. Thanks again Jurgen! Though it did keep me up til 5am twiddling pots leaving me absolutely knackered today. Tired but happy nonetheless. Right - on to the subtle chorus and the krautrock phaser, then better give my lungs a rest from flux fumes and my brain a sabbatical from DIY addiction for a few months before I injure myself.
Stavros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Tempco resistor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jurgen and all members of this forum.

I have a probably sily question on the Tempco resistor and in particular when this is not available to the use of a standard 560 ohm resistor.

Would it make any difference (better/worse) when using a standard 560 ohm resistor, to use instead of a normal 1/4w, one of 1 or 2 watts (2% tolerance)?

Thanks in advance for your attention

Best Regards

Stavros
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tempco resistor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stavros wrote:
Hi Jurgen and all members of this forum.

I have a probably sily question on the Tempco resistor and in particular when this is not available to the use of a standard 560 ohm resistor.

Would it make any difference (better/worse) when using a standard 560 ohm resistor, to use instead of a normal 1/4w, one of 1 or 2 watts (2% tolerance)?

Thanks in advance for your attention

Best Regards

Stavros

I would simply use an ordinary 1/4 Watt 560 Ohm resistor and never look back.

JH.

Stavros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: trimmers setting Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JH

I have just started completing my TAU modules and I have been reading again your documentation and the forum messages exchanged so far.

There have been clarifications on the trimmers calibration/setting but unfortunately my knowledge does not help me a lot to fully comprehend the replies as other did, so I would appreciate your corrections/further clarifications to the bellow summarization of my understanding so far.

1. Pitch trimmer setting. (I guess No input signal is needed to do this, or Yes?)

First set:

a. The external “Pitch” pot to middle position (?)
b. The external “Modulation Depth (Oscil. Level)” pot to maximum (cw) position (?)
c. The external “Modulation Rate (Sweep Rate)” pot to lowest (ccw) position (?)

Then adjust the pitch trimmer for the most pleasant sweep sound.

Q. Are other external pot settings relevant? If yes what is the suggested setting?

2. Resonance trimmer setting. (Is an input signal necessary and if yes, any suggested frequency?)

First set:

a. The “Resonance” trimmer to maximum (cw).
b. The external “Resonance” pot to maximum.
c. The nice/screaming oscillation “switch” (if installed), to the “off” (nice) position.

Then reduce “Resonance” trimmer until you like it

Q. Are other external pot settings relevant? If yes what is the suggested setting?

I thank you in advance for your understanding and patience

Best Regards

Stavros
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: trimmers setting Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stavros wrote:
Hi JH

I have just started completing my TAU modules and I have been reading again your documentation and the forum messages exchanged so far.

There have been clarifications on the trimmers calibration/setting but unfortunately my knowledge does not help me a lot to fully comprehend the replies as other did, so I would appreciate your corrections/further clarifications to the bellow summarization of my understanding so far.

1. Pitch trimmer setting. (I guess No input signal is needed to do this, or Yes?)

First set:

a. The external “Pitch” pot to middle position (?)
b. The external “Modulation Depth (Oscil. Level)” pot to maximum (cw) position (?)
c. The external “Modulation Rate (Sweep Rate)” pot to lowest (ccw) position (?)

Then adjust the pitch trimmer for the most pleasant sweep sound.

2. Resonance trimmer setting. (Is an input signal necessary and if yes, any suggested frequency?)

First set:

a. The “Resonance” trimmer to maximum (cw).
b. The external “Resonance” pot to maximum.
c. The nice/screaming oscillation “switch” (if installed), to the “off” (nice) position.

Then reduce “Resonance” trimmer until you like it

I thank you in advance for your understanding and patience

Best Regards

Stavros

Really, you can't do much wrong with these trimmers.
The reange of each is so small that there is only minor adjustment.
Best start with each in mid position, apply signal, and then adjust!

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did finish with the wiring of mine today ,and this module sound like i expected to be,its wonderfull,one of the best phasers i like,sound same like the rsf phaser,i also did liked very much the moog 12 stage phaser but this goes deeper.

Thanks Juergen!
Luka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey jurgen

just finishing populating the tau pcb
i ran out of 620ohm resistors
would substituting with 680 be a bad decision?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
hey jurgen

just finishing populating the tau pcb
i ran out of 620ohm resistors
would substituting with 680 be a bad decision?

No problem!

JH.

mph

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

I have finished mine ( deluxe version in a 2U rack) few weeks ago and it worked perfect at the first time.

But I am doubting about the transformer wiring to the onboard power supply.
I have wired only a pair of the transformer's output to the PCB, so one 18V and one 0V.
On the schematic it appears that the two coils of the transformer are used, but on the project decription page there is only mentioned a 18VAC voltage.

Everything is working all right on my phaser, so I'd like to know if it's necessary to wire the other coil of my transformer to the PCB.

I'd also wish to add a snubber to the main power switch... a friend told me to use a 100nF cap with a 100ohm resistor. Are these values good?

Many thanks for this project!
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mph wrote:
Hello

I have finished mine ( deluxe version in a 2U rack) few weeks ago and it worked perfect at the first time.

But I am doubting about the transformer wiring to the onboard power supply.
I have wired only a pair of the transformer's output to the PCB, so one 18V and one 0V.
On the schematic it appears that the two coils of the transformer are used, but on the project decription page there is only mentioned a 18VAC voltage.

Everything is working all right on my phaser, so I'd like to know if it's necessary to wire the other coil of my transformer to the PCB.

I'd also wish to add a snubber to the main power switch... a friend told me to use a 100nF cap with a 100ohm resistor. Are these values good?

Many thanks for this project!

You can run it with either one, or two secondary windings.
Only difference is less electromagnetic interference with two windings.
I'm not experienced with calculating snubber networks, I'm afraid.

Best Regards,

JH.

druish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: hand matched transistors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in building the pipe with hand matched transistors. Would these trannys work?

http://mouser.com/Semiconductors/Transistors-FETs-Bipolars-IGBTs/Bipolar-Transistors/_/N-2xpqhZscv7?P=1z0yrkaZ1z0z60lZ1z0y4diZ1z0stflZ1z0stf4Z1z0srhw&Keyword=low+noise&FS=True

I came upon these because they are low noise if anyone was wondering.
If these are no good, does anyone have any suggestions for transistors that will work?

Thx Smile
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: hand matched transistors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

druish wrote:
I'm interested in building the pipe with hand matched transistors. Would these trannys work?

http://mouser.com/Semiconductors/Transistors-FETs-Bipolars-IGBTs/Bipolar-Transistors/_/N-2xpqhZscv7?P=1z0yrkaZ1z0z60lZ1z0y4diZ1z0stflZ1z0stf4Z1z0srhw&Keyword=low+noise&FS=True

I came upon these because they are low noise if anyone was wondering.
If these are no good, does anyone have any suggestions for transistors that will work?

Thx Smile

I have no doubt that they will work. Don't ask me to what degree they have to be matched - I haven't tried.

JH.

druish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I figure i'd match them as close as possible. At least to CA3086 or CA3046 specs. Wink I'll let everybody know how it works out.
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tau PCBs are sold out.

www.bridechamber.com might still have some, though.

JH.

Page 24 of 26 [640 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: