electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Expression pedal for A6
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
anykeystudio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Expression pedal for A6 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'll been looking for a expression pedal (CC pedal) that works with my A6. First i tried a Roland one, but i sending only CC in a very short span in the beginning of the movement. And acted more like a key hold switch, with on or off values. Then i tried the Alesis on called F2 something and got the same result.

What CC pedal should i use with my A6 or am i missing something in the setup ?

Greetings Anykeystudio
www.anykeystudio.com
elmacaco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the F2 has a range adjustment, also try the global menu. Funny I was just looking into getting one of these soon. Does the F2 work well with the Andromeda? I read in the manual that the Andromeda wants just a TS mono jack expression pedal, and the F2 is TRS stereo.
anykeystudio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I read in the manual that the Andromeda wants just a TS mono jack expression pedal, and the F2 is TRS stereo.

I tested the F2 and i didn't work, it had the same effect as the Roland. The shop i bought tell me a shit story that is should work, but i doesn't.

I also think that a TS mono pedal would work, but i don't know where to find one. Anyone ?
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for cc's inormally use the boss ev10( stereoplug in a6 and in pedal)i will test it again for the a6, but think it worked fine, will double check and come back on it.
, for volumecontrol (le/ri in/out) i use the boss fv60.
both have a pot for adjusting the amount of effect
mao

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought the F2 ... same result, very very short range.

I red something about flipping the ring with the tip...

The A6 manual says TS cable... I think it's a mistake... Is there any TS expression pedal ?
rh2y

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question Bump Question

Did anybody come up with a solution for this? My A6 is expected to be arriving one of these days, and my wife was asking me what I want for Christmas. I thought an expression pedal would be a good idea.

I'm looking for an analog pedal, not a MIDI CC pedal.

So, what are people using as an expression pedal on their A6's ?

Thanks!

Russ

mao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad I think you must choose something else for christmas Sad

I tried a bunch of pedals and nothing worked... I mean every pedal works in the same stupid way... all the expression in 1 cm travel... no sense... Perhaps A6 really needs a TS cable... but I tried making a custom one... no way.. and yes I tried chanching the wiring ... no way... tried emailing to Alesis... no way....

no way... sorry... I really can't understand which pedal can work with the A6...
elmacaco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Expression Pedal mystery solved.
Subject description: I got it!!!!!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I was on a quest for an expression pedal or volume pedal for a live gig, and I couldn't find one with a mono plug like the Andromeda requires, and the volume pedal was $159, so I took home a yamaha FL-7 or something, with an integrated balanced cable. No workie.

I took it back the next day, and the volume pedal I had looked at was reduced o $65. Sold. it's the Boss FV-500, and it has an expression pedal output jack, designed for a stereo (balanced ) quarter inch cable to connect it. I decided to experiment a little, since it's a passive pedal (no batteries) I didn't think it would hurt.

Stereo cable didn't work, mono cable didn't work, BUT, I grabbed an insert cable, (a 'Y' cable, one balanced connector with two unbalanced connectors that split the tip and ring of the balanced connector on to their own cables, with a shared ground.) and it works!! You just have to use the TIP end of the Y cable in the Andromeda and the balanced connector in the pedal.

The problem comes with the expression pedals that have the cable integrated and not just a jack on the pedal. in that case you will need a Y cable and a barrel or some other way to convert the plug to a female balanced jack.

The Alesis expression /volume pedal (F2?) has the jack, so it can work like this quite easily.

I used the Boss FV-500 pedal on the gig as a (stereo) volume pedal and not an expression pedal, but the expression pedal worked fine in all tests and man was I psyched!

So mystery solved. I wonder if the Alesis manual mentions how to use their pedal with mono cable expecting synths like their Andromeda?

The Boss manual had no mention of it.

The gig went very well btw.

Eduardo

PS I tried to post this to the other a6 list and just got bounces, can someone please forward this to it if the whole thing isn;t down or something?
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moog has a new expression pedal out: the EP2. It's a vast improvement on the previous model, which really was weak. This one is heavier and has a much wider sweep and has an attenuator knob. It's got a TRS jack. I'm not sure how it would work on an A6, but it works great on other gear. It retails at $44.
http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=21079

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I have done all the possible with an Alesis F2 and I can assure you It doesn't work... switched ring with the tip with the salve (tried all the combinations !!!) converted to mono cable (tried all the combinations !!!) ... and so on. Nothing... well it works with the usual 1 cm travel.

elmacaco ... If you get one working... yes it seems you are the first one !!! many compliments !!!

BUT PLEASE... post something more clear... I'm not so good with english language... so why not putting a simple black and white wiring diagram with the model of the pedal + the exact wiring...

You can win the "Hey I have done it right" 1st prize... Razz

...please...we are in your hands...
rh2y

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
Moog has a new expression pedal out: the EP2. It's a vast improvement on the previous model, which really was weak. This one is heavier and has a much wider sweep and has an attenuator knob. It's got a TRS jack. I'm not sure how it would work on an A6, but it works great on other gear. It retails at $44.
http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=21079

Cool, thanks for the heads-up.

jonathap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Expression Pedal Problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just discovered this old thread. It looks as if I'm not the only one having massive problems getting an expression pedal to work with my A6.

elmacaco---you seem like the only one who claims to have solved this, but I could definitely use clearer instructions from you, or someone else who's pulled this off.

Help!
jonathap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Got it to work! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I finally seem to have gotten this to work with, of all things, a $40 Line 6 EX1 pedal. The EX1 uses a mono 1/4 inch cable which seems to be what the Andromeda needs to work properly. It seems very odd to me that well respected standard keyboard pedals like the EV5 and FC7 don't work but this plasticy little Line 6 pedal (that's intended purely for Line 6 products) actually does the job. Why Alesis would build the Andromeda to this standard makes no sense to me.

In any event, I'm good now...though the build quality of this Line 6 EX1 is pretty poor, and I'd love to find myself a better mono expression pedal.
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip, dude!

I'll see if I can pick up an EX1 before they all get snapped up by A6 owners! Very Happy

elmacaco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I don't check forums too much, so sorry I missed the request for clarification.

Get an expression pedal that has a output jack and not an integrated stereo cable.

Plug an insert cable into the Pedal's Jack, use the stereo end of the insert cable into the pedal.

Take the 'Tip' plug of the Insert ('Y') cable and plug that into the A6.

Sweep pedal and hear the volume drop and rise.

The range is extreme, but can be tuned to your liking, also it can be disabled from controlling volume (global menu) and then just used for whatever.

the Andromeda manual says to use a mono type expression pedal, but those seem quite rare now.
Soarer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So how about the Behringer FCV100?
That should work fine yes?
I'm thinking about getting one soon.

elmacaco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don;t know, try it and if it doesn't, return it!

Mono Plug pedals are supposed to work. otherwise get one with a jack and not a built in cable and use the y cable method.
jonathap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Pedal Solution Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still using my Line 6 EX1 with happy results.

This is definitely the easiest cheapest solution to this problem I know of.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you don´t mind I´d like to revive and update this thread.

I would like to know if the recommended Line 6 EX1 expression pedal for A6 is only for use with the sounds from A6, or if it also can be used as an expression pedal while using the A6 as a controller for VST-instruments. Anybody got a clue?

Thanks for help.

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
marctims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Page 68 of the Alesis Andromeda reference manual, describes (with images) how the connector have to be wired.
elmacaco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. If the a6 reads the pedal it sends the signal out as midi.

My pedal is a boss fv-500 iirc. It is a metal volume pedal with an expression pedal jack output.
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: