electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
String Filter (40 band resonator)
Page 4 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Okdokey, I just sent you an email. It will be 2 sets for me. And I´m looking forward to seeing what will be on PCB 3. Very Happy

In the old version, I had 4 parametric filters x3 (for cello, viola and violin), with heaps of trimpots.
For the new version, I'm running the old filters thru a spectrum analyzer (visual analyser freeware, to be precise), and then re-create them with fixed filters (using FilterWiz and PSpice).
The resulting circuit should have less than 15 opamps probably, so I can make it part of my FFF PCB project. Maybe.

JH.

Now playing: Saga, Silent Knight

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Serenadi

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
I've just recorded two short demos with the String Filter prototype.

Great, sounds amazing. Especially the arpeggio.

You convinced me. Very Happy
Thanks.
robotmakers

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Request for assembled string filter module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there anyone on this forum (or elsewhere) who would be interested in building me a MOTM or Dotcom compatable String Filter module using JH's circuit boards? Please respond offline.

Thanks very much for your consideration,
Roger
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And yet another demo:

Short OB-8 arpeggiated strings
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/string_filter/jh_string_filter_2008_3.mp3
1. Dry
2. 40-Band Filterbank and Cello-Filter breadboard circuit
3. Dry
4. 40-Band Filterbank only

I've also published the frequency response plots for this now:
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/string_filter/jh_string_filter.html

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you're going to build ...

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/string_filter/jh_string_filter_sch.pdf

JH.

norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good grief! I thought I'd printed out an M C Escher artwork for a minute there.
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norman Phay wrote:
Good grief! I thought I'd printed out an M C Escher artwork for a minute there.

Laughing

It's not as bad as it looks.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

update
I've just placed my order at the PCB factory.

(I've ordered a few spares, too, so don't worry if you haven't placed your order with me yet.)

JH.

Now playing: Edgar Froese, Aqua

Spratty

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to run this off an 18VAC powerpack JH?

Spratty Wink
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spratty wrote:
Is it possible to run this off an 18VAC powerpack JH?

Spratty Wink

What is a powerpack?

You can run it from a 2x 16V ... 18V AC transformer, with primary and secondary fuses, and with big heatsinks on the voltage regulators.

Or, alternatively, from +/-15V stabilized DC.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BOM (Bill of Materials)

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/string_filter/jh_string_filter_bom.pdf

Updated web site:

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/string_filter/jh_string_filter.html

JH.

Now playing: P. M. Hamel, Bardo

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked at the factory - production of the String Filter PCBs has now started!

JH.

Stavros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

on the BOM list should VTL3C3 rather be VTL5C3?

Thanks

Stavros
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stavros wrote:
Hello,

on the BOM list should VTL3C3 rather be VTL5C3?

Thanks

Stavros

VTL5C3. Sorry for the typo.
BTW, that vactrol is not really needed for the filterbank function.
It's an optional optoelectronic limiter.

JH.

Stavros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi again,

I have a problem sourcing the 3,9nF Polyester (MKH, MKT) capacitor.
Could that be replaced by a KERKO-500 ceramic one (reichelt has this).

Regards

Stavros
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stavros wrote:
Hi again,

I have a problem sourcing the 3,9nF Polyester (MKH, MKT) capacitor.
Could that be replaced by a KERKO-500 ceramic one (reichelt has this).

Regards

Stavros

Yes, that's what I did, ceramic.
Another option would be to connect 1.2nF and 2.7nF in parallel.
Strange that 3.9nF has suddenly become a difficult value - apparently it's not just Reichelt.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

String Filter boards arrived today.

And even though I had a needle adapter built this time (!) and had every board tested with it individually, I'll build another prototype from a pair of these production-run PCBs before I go and sell them.
So, don't pay anything yet before you have an invoice email sent to you, but expect this in the near future.

JH.

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whoo!
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This whole thingamajig going on here is an amazing example of OpAmp circuits gone insane! It's a beautiful music maker and it's a joy to see my very favorite component of all time, the OpAmp, glorified this way. Now, when do I get to ChucKify this beast?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
This whole thingamajig going on here is an amazing example of OpAmp circuits gone insane! It's a beautiful music maker and it's a joy to see my very favorite component of all time, the OpAmp, glorified this way. Now, when do I get to ChucKify this beast?

Oh, meanwhile the data are all there on my web site!

I thought you've started cloning it in software already. Smile

JH.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Oh, meanwhile the data are all there on my web site!

I thought you've started cloning it in software already. Smile

JH.

You told me to wait, so I did. The frequency plot helps a lot, but I didn't find the exact information I need which is: What is the center frequency and Q of each filter? With that Info i can quickly code something up! Thanks.

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Final tests Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right from the lab - Tassilo my son is helping to test the string filter prototype.
And even though you don't hear much because of the sound "quality" of the Nikon's built-in mic - yes, it tested good.

PCBs ready for shipping - invoices will be in your mail soon.

JH.

DSCN4552.MOV
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSCN4552.MOV
 Filesize:  6.78 MB
 Downloaded:  1278 Time(s)

softfin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Received the boards today, thanks a lot JH!
I'll probably attempt to do a stereo version that will be fitted in the same enclosure along with two Tau Pipe phasers, two Triple choruses and two Krautrock phasers. I'm planning to use just one power supply to power all these effects. How much mA would those eight effects approximately need?
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

softfin wrote:
I'll probably attempt to do a stereo version that will be fitted in the same enclosure along with two Tau Pipe phasers, two Triple choruses and two Krautrock phasers. I'm planning to use just one power supply to power all these effects. How much mA would those eight effects approximately need?

Hard to say - depends on so many things.
Certainly less than 800mA, probably a lot less than 500mA.

JH.

softfin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
softfin wrote:

Hard to say - depends on so many things.
Certainly less than 800mA, probably a lot less than 500mA.

JH.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Last edited by softfin on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: