electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The GM Voice
Page 13 of 13 [305 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
sompost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Comatose DB60XG clone (part II) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is post 300 in this thread! Celebrayshun!!

Anyway, for the benefit of those zero to one people who care -- or may run into the same problem with their DB60XG/XR385 board -- here's what I've discovered.

On http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37241 I found somebody who appears to have the same problem (or, rather, I seem to have the same as he).

When I measure the voltage on pin 8 of the AK4510 on the silent board, I get about 1.4V. It should be either 0V or 5V. I also fail to get 2.5V at pin 1 which is what the AK4510 apparently is supposed to output there. The crackling board does have 2.5V on pin 1 of the AK4510.

Diagnosis: AK4510 on the silent board is kaput.

I also found that the crystal close to the XQ036A0 IC on the crackling board is torn off. I cannot tell whether I got it that way or if it happened later. I can't find the piece, so I'll have to order replacements.

I'll report on my findings if anyone cares to know. And more so if nobody does! Twisted Evil

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For anyone interested in building a GM Voice...maybe don't! Fluxamasynth has revision 3 which includes a midi in socket with an opto-isolator circuit. All you need to do is add a power supply. In addition, they've updated the synth to the SAM2695. Hard to beat for US$39.95 each.
https://moderndevice.com/product/fluxamasynth-shield/

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting. It's a bit cheaper than the Roland M-GS64, which also can handle 64 voices, has the MT-32 soundset (among other Sound Canvas variants). I looked at the documentation to see the midi implementation (for CCs and sysex), but couldn't find it. Any idea where I can find it? Thanks.
Steve
Addendum: OK; found it. It's in the SAM2695 datasheet--chapter 3, pp. 26-29, if anyone else is interested.* At a quick glance, it seems that the FX uses some standardized CCs, and other voice settings use NRPN and/or sysex. If the shield's library uses those, I didn't see them in the library code. However, if the SAM2695 if fully implemented, perhaps coders can add those in. (Just wondering.)

And it's only 64 voice if you don't use effects; 38 with effects.

*http://www.dream.fr/pdf/Serie2000/SAM_Datasheets/SAM2695.pdf
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a guy that has a line of newer GM Voice compatible soundboards based on the SAM-series of ICs:
http://www.serdashop.com/S1DREAMBREAKOUT

Looks like the GM Voice will live on for a few more years yet!

DonPedro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: SW60XG as standalone MIDI Synthesizer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I wanted first to introduce myself. I am 48 now. I am working with PC's almost 30 years and from the very beginning was interested in computer music (sound cards). The very first application to convert digital signal to analog music was COVOX attached to LPT Wink. In late 90's I bought SW60XG as an addition to AWE64Gold. SW60XG as you might know is not daughter card - it is ISA card. I never trew it away nor sold, it waited in basement for more interesting time to handle with her. Lately I build a retro PC to set there SW1000XG which is very cool. But I still want to make use of those old SW60XG!
I saw on youtube video of making SW60XG standalone synth but... you all know the audio output of this card is horrible.
I would like to ask you for help in attaching to this card an optical/electrical SPDIF Out. Maybe it is not so hard to do?
Link to video:
https://youtu.be/k3DrNlqle1A

BTW: dream SAM2695 is already obsolete, new chip 5504EK has 81 v. polyphony and 24bit DAC + USB and 106dB S/N

...and I've read almost all the thread and gone to many links collecting some interesting docs and apps Wink[/url]
Page 13 of 13 [305 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: