electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
A collection of Klee musics
Page 5 of 13 [314 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mark_olson wrote:
Really nice, Scott.

Scott Stites wrote:
Anyway, I had the patch set up, and I decided to just punch record and start adjusting the Klee.

You could definitely hold your own on stage with this stuff.

Mark

I'll second that!! Very Happy

chrishybrid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can anyone tell me ware the sounds come from ?
with synth ?

cause i like the sound
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome chrishybrid!

I used my DIY modular for this piece, plus a breadboarded Thomas Henry Bass++ drumvoice, for which I'm going to do a webpage as soon as my job settles down a bit.

All of the voices (except the drum voice) were mixed together and run through my Lexicon MX-200 in mono. I used my homebuilt mixer module to mix the voices before the Lexicon. This mono signal was then run through my Dim C (which may have a lot to do with what you might like about the sound of the synth). The Dim C, which was operating in Mode 4, creates a unique stereo field from the mono signal. I ran that into my outboard mixer (a cheapo but effective Behringer 1202). I ran the output of the Bass++ straight into the mixer. Sharp drum impacts tend to make the compressor in the Dim C to "breathe" a bit, so I avoided that by mixing the Bass++ separately. Then I ran the output of the mixer straight into the Korg D8 recorder in stereo.

The modules I used in the synth:

Rene Schmitz VCO3 (actually just a PCB I still haven't mounted into a module). This was the only VCO used in the patch.
Blacet DSC2000
Rene Schmitz 2040 Filter Clone
Dual Rene Schmitz Late MS-20 Filter Module
CGS Wave Multiplier
Ray Wilson Triple EG module (contains two ADSR EGs and one AR/AD EG)
Quad Ray Wilson LFO Module
Quad Ray Wilson VCA Module

The three synth voices I used were patched as follows:

Voice 1 was the "smooth" resonant filter voice in the piece. It starts with a Rene Schmitz VCO3 (sawtooth IIRC?) controlled by a CV output of the Klee. The VCO was patched into one input of the 2040 Clone Filter. The 2040 clone filter is a version of the 2040 clone filter that JH created. It is actually a transistor filter, but not a transistor ladder filter. It uses transistors to create the gain cells used by the original SSM2040 filter IC. The filter cutoff was controlled by two different sources: a Ray Wilson Envelope Generator and a control voltage output of the Klee. The audio signal from the filter then passed through a Ray Wilson VCA, which was controlled from the same envelope generator that was controlling the 2040 filter. The output of the VCA was then patched into my mixer module. The EG used was from the Triple EG module, ADSR type, that was triggered (but not gated) from one of the Klee Gate Bus Outputs.

Voice 2 is the sort of grindy voice heard in the piece. This voice did not use a VCO - instead it used one half of the Rene Schmitz Late MS-20 filter in self oscillation. The oscillating filter is controlled by a CV output of the Klee. The output of the filter was then patched into the triangle input of the Wave Multiplier, then passed through the Grinder section of the wave multipler. The "Folds" and "Offset" CV inputs of the Wave Multiplier were controlled by a couple of the CV outputs of the Klee. The signal from the grinder output was then passed through the "B" side of the dual Late MS-20 filter, which was in low pass mode. This filter was also controlled by a CV output of the Klee and by a different ADSR EG from my Ray Wilson Triple EG module. The output of Filter B of that module was then passed through another VCA in the Ray Wilson Quad VCA module. This VCA is controlled by the same EG that is modulating the Filter B section of the dual Late MS-20 module. The output of the VCA is patched into the mixer module. The EG was triggered (but not gated) from a different gate bus output of the Klee.

Voice 3 is the Blacet DSC2000. It provides the voice that can be heard faded in at around 1:25. It's simply the DSC2000 controlled by a CV output of the Klee. It is gated by the Master Gate output. The output of the DSC2000 is patched directly into the mixer module. Voices 1 and 2 were left at the same level in the mixer - this voice was faded in and out at a couple of places throughout the piece.

The LFO module was used to clock the Klee.

The Bass++ drum pitch was controlled by a CV output of the Klee and was triggered from the output of Gate Bus 3.

I used three Klee voltage ranges in the piece - mostly I switched between one setting and the next to produce the different portions of the piece. At 3:44 I used the third lower voltage selection once. IIRC, I set up the Klee sequence several days before using the highest voltage range and tuning the Klee as a "Normal" sequencer (with a one bit pattern) to a keyboard. The pattern devolved from there to what appeared in this piece.

The variation in the voices comes from merging and unmerging the gate bus and manipulating the time constant of the EGs. I modified my EG module to give each EG three time ranges - a very short time range, a medium range, and a long range.

With one of these EGs in combination with a merge switch you actually have control of four variations at how a voice reacts to the Klee in a single pattern at the flip of a couple of switches:

Merged (few notes) with short attack/decay.
Merged (few notes) with long, flowing attack decay.
Unmerged (more notes) with short attack/decay.
Unmerged (more notes) with long attack/decay

In the case of the drum voice, the number of "hits" per repetition of the pattern is controlled by merging and unmerging the gate bus, which increases and decreases the number of triggers it generates.

The you have the Klee voltage ranges that work on all of the voices. Changing the voltage range expands and contracts the distance between notes of a given pattern as well as expanding and contracting the control voltages modulating the filters, etc.

Finally, you have changing the pattern itself. In this piece, I "juggled" the bits of the pattern by switching between 8 step and 16 step patterns, and by using the Bus 1 Load switch.

Cheerios,
Scott

chrishybrid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your answer.

i like the sound alot , it's very melodic and very usefull in many way's.
even the basslines are tight and smooth.

very nice !!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before I was exiled to Malaysia, I scooped a bunch of Klee stuff off of my hard drive. Here's one that was actually performed by my son, Matthew on November 11, 2007. I'd set up the pattern heard at the beginning and he was interested in trying his hand at it. So, I turned on the recorder and let him take over the controls.

Thought you all might be interested in hearing his composition, which he named (not surprising for a 9 year old boy) "Robots".

Cheerio,
Scott

Robots.mp3
 Description:
Robots by Matthew Stites (Modular, MPS and Klee)

Download
 Filename:  Robots.mp3
 Filesize:  7.48 MB
 Downloaded:  1315 Time(s)

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice track there Mathew!
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After finishing TH XR VCO and VCA-1 and Yusynth Minimoog VCF I'm having loads of fun.
This three modules and klee. I can't wait for EGs and LFOs and and and Very Happy
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frikkin' awesome!! What are those points you keep touching to get the drum beats etc.?

Thank you for posting this!!

Cheers,
Scott

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great video! Make more! I'm in the building/anticipation stage, and need as much kleeness as I can get!

I was wondering the same thing as Scott - it looks like you're touching some unused jacks to get some sound changes - are you using some strange implementation of bananas that I'm unaware of?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Super video and music.

wow!

This is pure electro-music vis-a-vis electro-music.com

Splendid.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
a.b.o.z.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hei guys thnx!!!
Those points are gate outs on klee and cv inputs on vcf and vca. And it is working like body contacts. Signal is passing trough me Very Happy
Sort of like circuit bending but not.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one I recorded 07 June. I have it on the computer here in Malaysia.

It was recorded in one take, using the modular, the DW6000, the SH-201 and the MPS all mixed through my cheapo mixer.

Cheerios,
Scott

klee_depths.mp3
 Description:
SH-201, DW6000, KS-01 Modular, MPS, Klee

Download
 Filename:  klee_depths.mp3
 Filesize:  6.44 MB
 Downloaded:  1183 Time(s)

a.b.o.z.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scott im speachless. this one is the best. i like it the most!!
total space
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks A.B.O.Z. Very Happy

Here's one I recorded back in April. Bus 1 Load switch is on, giving it a fairly unusual rhythm - it's late couldn't tell you what time sig is...

Anyway, the Klee is driving three VCOs, two of which are synced and also ring modulated, here and there. I recorded the modular through the mixer module into my cheapo Bhrngr mixer, and I mixed in the DW6000 and SH201. The DW6000 is steroized by the Dim C, and is providing the occasional sonar-like pings. The 201 appears a couple of times playing a sort of lead....

I manipulated a couple of pattern bits and a gate switch on the Klee, and did the usual changing of envelope time constants and mixing on the mixer module here and there. Recorded all at one time (no multitracking).

Cheerios,
Scott

Blitz_Kleeg.mp3
 Description:
A Klee Offensive

Download
 Filename:  Blitz_Kleeg.mp3
 Filesize:  12.24 MB
 Downloaded:  1119 Time(s)

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just checked out these last two while finalising the wiring for my bass. Absolutely beautiful as usual. Very Happy
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

klee depths is beautiful scott
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Here's one I recorded back in April. Bus 1 Load switch is on, giving it a fairly unusual rhythm - it's late couldn't tell you what time sig is...

[wiseheimer mode on]
i'd say: 5/8
[wiseheimer mode off]

Very Happy great music, scott. BTW when gets the CD published?

germaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Scott, thanks for making my ears feel good!
Cat-A-Tonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty groove.
5/8 is the time signature closest to the golden ratio.
This no doubt inforces its prettiness.
sduck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, here's a quickie done this evening. I've been messing with some pretty extreme pot combinations, and getting the expected maxi-tonal mess, so this evening I decided to dumb it down a notch, and tried this slight variation on Scott's golden pot settings (5 knobs turned up to various settings), and got some nice results! Two channels - both motm 300's, the higher one is a saw, the lower one a triangle. Both through motm 190 vca's, controlled by similarly setup 800 eg's driven by gates 1 and 2 - I've got 1 switch set to bus 1. Both into a motm 440 filter, which is being modded by the A+B out, but that isn't added till near the end. The high voice is going through a tellun doomsday machine, which adds some nice glitchiness. It starts out in 8x2, switches to 16x1, and then at some point I turned on Invert B. I added a little reverb in cubase, but otherwise this is straight from the source. This is my first recording of the klee, definitely not the last, and I'm excited to be getting results like this after fooling with the thing for only 4 days!

oha noha.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  oha noha.mp3
 Filesize:  7.04 MB
 Downloaded:  1156 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked I think there's a bit of alchemy in your programming. That went from a "Golden" setting to "Platinum". I have *never* gotten such a wide variation in patterns and had it flow so completely and transparently as that. That's some excellent Klee programming - simply beautiful, in fact. I'd say you've definitely got your head around it.

Man, write those settings down! Have you tried those settings with a random input, by any chance? Sometimes I have to hold my tongue just right getting the random signal to do what I want it to do, but I bet if you got one that sustained yet varied, you could fill a CD with it and it would work...

Thanks for sharing that!!

slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Ok, here's a quickie done this evening.

Nice job! and it does flow. I've been using only 1 voice, 'cause thats all I have at the moment, but this is how I think it should sound.

George
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
Ok, here's a quickie done this evening.

You should do that more often Laughing really a nice track!

sduck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another quickie. Basically the same patch as the last one, but this time I've got white noise going into the random in, and it's in random mode, 16x1, invert B off. Took some knobulating to get the random levels just right, but once it was good it stayed that way. This time the top line is going through the other section of the doomsday machine, which is a bit cleaner sounding, and it gets the motm 440 all to itself, as the bottom line, which is now down an octave is going through a mankato filter. Both of these are being modulated by the A+B out - the 440 in a negative direction, the mankato in positive, and I've turned on the lag knob a bit on the A+B out jack. I've basically just let the thing run this time - the only knob twiddling that happens is me slowing down the clock lfo near the end a little. I don't find this one very interesting, so it's not too long.

uzumrzii.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  uzumrzii.mp3
 Filesize:  4.9 MB
 Downloaded:  1086 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I don't find this one very interesting, so it's not too long.

I nearly wet myself listening to it....it's frikkin' sublime, dude!

Page 5 of 13 [314 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: