electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Very few women applicants to electro-music 2008
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: a distillation of distillation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the electro-music events we are looking at are a distillation of distillations of populations. My daughter Sierra wrote the spoken word passages that she allowed me to sample and process for Ordinary Machinery that I performed at EM2008. She is very happy with piece, but is not interested in supplying me with fresh material, because this is, "my thing, not hers" (her words). She is very independent and creative, she just ain't into electro.

My son Jeremy was the chief sound engineer in room 2 at EM2008, and he was my chief collaborator at the Kutztown University Planetarium Computer Music Seminar just the other week, but again, electro is not really his bag of choice. He has a lot going on and has to set his priorities so he gets time to do some things that interest him. No complaints from me there.

They both do nice work.

I am into my fourth year of university teaching. I have had only 1 student in addition to Jeremy sign up to do computer audio related independent study work with me. It was very successful, our work was published at this summer's 2011 Intl. Computer Music Conf. in England, but it was not a performance piece. It was algorithm work, and this student is not a musician, but he did an admirable job getting this project coding started.

Despite Scrabble-to-MIDI gigs where students got to travel and play gigs by playing Scrabble while I mapped the game state to music (or in some cases they did), not one student was at all interested in composing, improvising, or performing computer music in any follow-up format. The music dept. at our university is pretty conservative, and although there is one prof interested in electronic instruments, it's mostly for playing classical pieces. Not one prof from either music or visual arts, where there are 3 people doing video art including one that uses music, attended the on-campus planetarium event where Michael O'Bannon performed his amazing visuals on the dome, and they never respond to my invitation emails inviting them and their students to attend. I am a pretty friendly guy. I just don't think they care about anything that won't directly get them tenure, promotion, or in the case of students, credits and grades.

Dr. Phill Reed of Astronomy, who volunteered the planetarium, and helped with pre-event sound, video, and streaming network checks, and who helped us set up on event night, was an absolute God send of a professor Very Happy Phill really appreciates what we can do using the planetarium as an immersive electro-music performance environment, especially after the September 7 seminar, thanks to the excellence of the contributing performers and student volunteer for running the stream.

So, there's the distillation of electro-music at Kutztown University going into year four. One gray-haired old-fart comp. sci. prof. who was inspired by talking with mosc and seeing his MIDI banjo in 2005, into integrating my string picking and electronics/software skills after 35 years of keeping them separate. The population space is too disparate to see any real trends. Women are underrepresented in undergrad comp. sci., a situation we are working to improve at KU, but if that is the sample space for likely students to sign up with me, it's not going to help.

Trying to get our female musician friends interested in this, and working with females already attending EM events, are two ways to bolster female performer numbers. With only ~100 people total attending the event this year, it's not too hard to improve percentage points!

years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
djrock3k wrote:

Was EM adequately marketed to a varied populace, or was it preaching to the choir? Sites such as MusicThing and CreateDigitalMusic/Motion are widely read, I don't remember a word about EM on them. Perhaps Hong can put together a clip reel and inform them of the proceedings.

That's a good point. Smokris didn't put anything up on kineme.net about it until well after it was too late to submit applications. It just didn't occur to us to try to advertise for it until shortly before we went. I don't think we posted anything to fdiv.net or ruori.org about it at all.

I am a member of the International Computer Music Association as of a couple months ago (conference discounts, tenure and promotion bullet points Twisted Evil ), will post the event there next year.

Although, it may be hard to get a large collection of academics interested in coming to a performance oriented event. We'll see.

The ICMC unconference for the last two years has been led by Freida Abtan.
Quote:
“There is a very real magic in the manipulation of sound. Hidden intricacies that might not be perceptible when a sound is ingested raw are rendered audible through processing. Samples take on the characteristics of the methods by which they are treated and become
indistinguishable from others only to regain their separate identities after careful filtering. My compositions follow the path forged by visual collagists: a unified beast created from shards of the mundane.”
She is a wizard at running the alternative Unconference for ICMC, excellent musical, technical, and organizational skills. I wrote her after ICMC 2010 and did not hear back, will try again. She'd be a great addition to the EM family.

Margaret Schedel is a music prof at Stony Brook and a board member of ICMC who has expressed some early interest in driving planetarium graphics with her cello, using bowing classification software built atop the learning algorithm of Rebecca Fiebrink's Ph.D. research, after I figure out how to code the graphics for the dome. Those of you attending EM2007 will recall that Rebecca and Ge Wang taught a ~3 hour working tutorial on ChucK that was well attended.

I have a few other contacts with women making significant contributions in the academic field of computer music. I'll see what I can do for EM2012.

years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: