electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 26 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
blackcelcius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
blackcelcius wrote:

Is it not possible to do another run of pcb's with pics for people who are willing to build the unit with linear pots.Im sure the demand is still high enough...
Or if you are tired of the project could you not do something like jurgen haible or ian fritz,putting the pcb's and so on on The bridechamber ?
Just a thought since there is still a high interest in the project....

Hello

Yes it could be possible to do another PCB run.
Not sure how soon - it is not my day job.

PMs welcome for committed purchasers, who don't mind waiting a while.

Thanks

-ryk

In this light Idea there is a bright future Wink
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
j.dilisio wrote:
Is this what C6 (330N Poly) is supposed to look like?
The one's I have are 100V, is that ok? They look a bit out of place to me.
I just wanted to check before soldering them in.

Yes, that looks about right.
100v is plenty, only takes about 5v, but doesnt matter.

For best results should be polyester or polystyrene, as it is used
to hold the voltage [like a sample and hold] over stages
that have no gate signal.

I'm just getting around to populating the 2 boards I have, and sourcing capacitors always throw me off.

The contstruction guide says
Quote:
C6 and C13 should be high-quality polyester type capacitors...

.33uF and .1uF respectively.

My question is "what constitutes high-quality polyester" caps?

On mouser.com they've got .33uF polyesters that are 63V, 5% tolerance, and only 7.2mm long with a 5mm pitch...$0.22 for 1-49 of them...others are 100V, 3% tolerance, 15.5mm long with 8mm pitch...$1.10 for 1-49 of them.

Not to mention the .1uF C13...mouser has tiny little blue chicklet polyester caps for like $0.10. Seems embarassingly too cheap to work Wink

Axial, radial, blah, blah, blah. How the heck do you choose?

patchdub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just wondering if anyone out there has a spare board they'd like sell?
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:

My question is "what constitutes high-quality polyester" caps?
choose?

Hello

Sorry, perhaps the high quality bit is misleading.
It just means use polyester caps, instead of
cheap old ceramic types.

They are used for the S&H to hold the CV, and the
portamento, so should be poly instead of ceramic.

I would chose one that fits the footprint best.

-ryk
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumb up Cheers! Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One more parts question...was just looking at mouser.com trying to find IC3 (4013N)...? Not sure exactly what that one is. Closest thing I could find in name is the CD4013BCN.

So...?

ryktnk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
One more parts question...was just looking at mouser.com trying to find IC3 (4013N)...? Not sure exactly what that one is. Closest thing I could find in name is the CD4013BCN.

So...?

Hello
Should work ok.

Be more careful about the 4069UB this has to have
the end code "UB" or "UBE" which is unbufferd.

There is a LFO built around this chip that supplies
the clock pulses for the seq.
This will not work at all if it is not the UB or UBE type.

-ryk
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Yeah, I've already sourced the 4069UB and made damn sure it's UB(E).
julian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a brief note: Ive been meening to post, but keep forgetting to do so -

I have 2-off v1 o/s panels here, in 5u, with portamento switch holes that were ment to go to someone, but, for various reasons, are still here... : /

These are cut for Ryk's original slide switches.

If anyone is interested, ill take some photos and upload them. I have 2-off and they would be GBP 49 each + shipping from the UK.

These are, i think, the last panels i have for this project.

Julian

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

nerdware

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
If anyone is interested, ill take some photos and upload them. I have 2-off and they would be GBP 49 each + shipping from the UK.

I'll take one! Thanks.

julian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok,

Let me unpack the package (it got that far...) and take some snaps of one, so you know exactly what you are getting.

Ill try and get that done tommorow.

Julian

julian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have uploaded the photo shown below. The forum is reducting it in size though, so you may need to click things to get it bigger (should be 1024 wide)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

As previously mentioned, i have 2-off these (@GBP49ea.), and screw kits (if required@GBP4ea.)

They are slightly different from the panels i was selling previously in that they also have cut-outs for additional toggel switches and line work for the portamento mod. Otherwise though, they are identical to those cut before.

Thanks, Julian

m185s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  354.38 KB
 Viewed:  255 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

m185s.jpg

nerdware

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a PIC with the V2.1 firmware, so that'll be perfect. The panel nearest the camera appears to have blemishes, so unless that's just a camera artifact, I'd like the other one please.

Thanks.

julian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know ive replied by email, but, just for the benefit of anyone else reading...

Both panels are actually identical, cut in the same pass, out of the same sheet of metal - i generally wrap jobs in cling film before packing them properly, and the atrifacts in the photo are just where the camera flash is catching on the film - nothing to worry about at all : )

nerdware

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
Both panels are actually identical, cut in the same pass, out of the same sheet of metal - i generally wrap jobs in cling film before packing them properly, and the atrifacts in the photo are just where the camera flash is catching on the film - nothing to worry about at all : )

Aha, clingfilm. Of course. Phew! That's ok then!

Thanks.

patchdub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anybody have a set of switches they'd like to sell?

i've got a pcb coming in the mail!!!!

julian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I seem to remember, before doing all the 5u and euro panels for the project with slide switches, there was some doubt as to if Ryk was going to get more slide switches.

This was arround the end of the first run, or beginning of the 2nd - i cant recall exactly.

...anyway, i think i got as far as drafting a 5u panel with rotary switches, before there was confirmation from Ryk as to the availiblilty of the slide units.

If people want panels with rotaries, i can have a look to see how far i got with the panel, and then possibly cut a small run in 5u if required?

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nerdware wrote:
I have a PIC with the V2.1 firmware, so that'll be perfect.

Uh...looks to me like those panels are for V2.0, not V2.1. Or am I confoosed?

nerdware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The panels have the Portamento pot and switches, but still refer to the CV stage selection. That's no problem, I'll know what that mode really does.

I may even find a use for the CV input, like transposition. I often wonder why so few sequencers have a transpose input. I've not seen any in the DIY world, and yet a unity gain summer appears to be simple enough - just a simple mixer using matches resistors. Anyway, adding that shouldn't make this project significantly harder. It already requires some extra components on a stripboard.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So with V2.1 you can use the portamento switches? I wasn't sure if that worked with V2.1.

The construction notes document for V2.1 only shows the daughterboard configured so that the portamento is programmable without the switches. For V2.0 there was the other option for doing it with switches (which actually I prefer because the function is then immediately available without pressin/holding a button).

I was wondering about a CV In offset function as well. Maybe the DIY developers don't put it in because it's a relatively easy mod?

nerdware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It had been a while since I last looked at the docs, but I just looked and you may be right. I can't find the port switches on the wiring diagram. Oh well, I can ignore those holes. A slightly odd panel is better than none at all!

I'm still a bit confused by the panel pics and fpd files - they don't appear to have the port switches, but they do have the stage selection stuff. Confused

[EDIT]

I just checked the pics again, and one of the panels is for the V2.1 firmware. Still no port switches for each stage! So these two panels here are odd hybrids. I don't have an FPD for V2.1 anyway, so I can't complain. Odd still beats nothing.

julian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two software versions -

v2.0 -

Has a CV input for CV stage select. The "Mode" slider is marked with "CVS" for, well, cv stage select : )

v2.1 -

Has no CV input. The "Mode" slider is marked with "FXD" for fixed.

...but, in that, it seems that 2.1 is a reduction on the features of 2.0, whilst 2.1 was actually a later release. So there must be more to it than that, but thats what i remember.

The two panels above were both cut for the v2.0 software, but the person who they were originaly cut for wanted the portamento toggels included.

The panels are not cut from the fpd files that were floating about, so dont expect a direct comparison. I, personally, wasnt happy with the fpd files, so, although its the same basic layout, i redrew the work in my usual CAD application from scratch when i started making the panels for this project.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
Two software versions -

v2.0 -
Has a CV input for CV stage select. The "Mode" slider is marked with "CVS" for, well, cv stage select : )

v2.1 -
Has no CV input. The "Mode" slider is marked with "FXD" for fixed.

...but, in that, it seems that 2.1 is a reduction on the features of 2.0, whilst 2.1 was actually a later release. So there must be more to it than that, but thats what i remember.

Well he was programming both at the same time, shipping whichever the user wanted.

One would choose either the CVS or FXD versions based on how you think you'd use the sequencer. The CVS allowed for CV of stage select, as noted above; however not everyone was going to find that a useful function. And if you were more interested in traditional song arrangements, the FXD function allowed you to fix the total sequence length (Stage Control setting multiplied by 4)...so if you had Stage Control set at 4, then the sequence length would be limited to 16 (4 times 4)...this allows better synchronization to standard beats/measure song arrangements and to drum machines, etc. CVS is for more non-traditional modes of song arrangement and for experimentation.

That said, if you're going to add a CV In for pitch transposition (summing an input with the CV Out of the M-185), then you could still use the jack on these panels with V2.1. You'd just have to remember that the CVS switch setting is actually FXD.

However, V2.0 required the use of a daughterboard AND the switches in order to implement portamento on each stage. The diagrams for that are somewhere in this thread.

V2.1 also required a daughterboard, but did not need the Port switch on each stage and the wiring of the daughterboard is much simpler...but to program the portamento on each step, you'd have press and hold one of the buttons (can't remember which right now) for like 2 seconds. The LEDs would then indicate which stages have Portamento progrmmed on them...and I forget how you change that at the stage level.

My question is still: Can you implement the individual switch scheme with V2.1, or do you have to use the press-and-hold scheme?

If you CAN still implement the individual swithces, then these panels would still certainly work for V2.1.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The portamento options are listed on Page 12 of this thread.

Option 1 (holding the Reset button to activate the portamento programming mode, and uses no switches) requires V2.1

Option 2 (8 SPST switches) does not require V2.1, but it doesn't say whether it will work with ONLY V2.0.

ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
The portamento options are listed on Page 12 of this thread.

Option 1 (holding the Reset button to activate the portamento programming mode, and uses no switches) requires V2.1

Option 2 (8 SPST switches) does not require V2.1, but it doesn't say whether it will work with ONLY V2.0.

Hello

Sorry for the confusion.

The portamento switch option, could be installed
on any OS version, as it just takes a signal from
the POTS bus to some Portamento switches.

The V2.1 OS has a software programmable
portamento, so can be used without Portamento
switches.

Hope that helps

-ryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 26 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: