electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
lunetta sound samples
Page 4 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheap tip: from what I did NOT do last night, whilst playing wtih my newest additions in my Lunetta machine:

- Whenever you're about to start playing with yours: START RECORDING! Surprised

I played with mine for about an hour last night after hooking up my 2nd and 3rd 3 input audio mixers; 8 input R-2R DAC and an interface from my modular's Connor +/-15V power supply to the 7809 and 7909 voltage regulators in my Lunetta machine. (The latter, to give it a proper 'power supply', that can also be run from 2 x 12V batteries.)

And I hadn't recorded a thing! Sad Sad

The total addiction and thrill that I was having, grooving with it as well as the sequenced Gate coming in from 1 of my MFOS Sequencers, all providing different rhythmic sequences (with 1 of the 4 bit shift registers) was sooooooo bloody gripping, sonically.

Now - every single time that I start playing with this thing, will I be recording into my porta-studio, to not loose anything again, to never loose anything again.

Come to think of last night's 'performance' I'm going to go and start another thread, mentioning realizations that I had, whilst playing. That could help other's in deciding what blocks to build for theirs. Smile
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the first patch from the new Lunetta.
It's raw, it's self playing - and here's what it sounds like.

bruce

luna2.JPG
 Description:
Here's what it looked like....
 Filesize:  119.94 KB
 Viewed:  462 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

luna2.JPG

Lunetta2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lunetta2.mp3
 Filesize:  3.78 MB
 Downloaded:  1551 Time(s)

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoooooaaaaa, Bruce! I love your V2.0's 'Lunetta Jazz' sessioni!

Inspiration time - I went searching for the list of modules in your machine. I were trying logically to figure out how your match may have been working, playing itself. Here're some of my guesses:

- the 4017 / 4051 melody generator is playing a big part in it, no? When it takes off from the collection of similar notes into it's 'solo' is determined by one of the timing of one of the counters, correct?

- the output of the 4017 / 4051 is feeding into yoru R-2R DAC

- the control bits for the 4051 are selected from a more complex combination of outputs, I'll guess

That's as far as I've figured so far.

A big question though - in building my R-2R, I went along with Ray Wilson's listing - 2R = 1M and R = 1M + 1M paralleled. I followed his output buffer setting - ROUGHLY. I through in a 200k trimmer in the feedback loop instead, without setting it to any particular value, along with, the 20k that Ray had stated.

I've used my R-2R once, with 3 different ON/OFF signals feeding into at a slower frequency (2 to 10hz, somewhere), not being overly excited with it's output.

Could you clue me in on what your R-2R's values for it's buffer section were - IF it were used in your above tune?

My ultimate goal is for my Deathlehem Machine to play itself! Smile
Could you give me a better idea of what you've used, to get your machine to play itself, so well? Smile

I'm believing that the 4017 / 4051 module could be a big part of it and will build one today. (I'm just about to finish my dual 2 input manual pan stereo mixers.)
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Thanks for the feedback Rych - It's very encouraging that you liked what it's doing.

I'll get the values from the R/2R to you later - I don't have them from this 'puter.

Actually, I didn't use the melody generators on this patch at all. Those are found in the conspicuously patchless lower left corner of my box.

Mostly what was used there were R/2R being fed from two 4094 8 Bit Shift Registers...
Here's what I recall... although my attempts at describing Lunetta patches in the past has been attrocious. Embarassed

4 clocks
2 clocks to Clock input of 4094 8 bit registers.
1 clock to data input of 1st 4094
1 clock to a 4 bit register then to a Binary counter...(mainly this is just a delay of sorts.) That then goes to a R/2R input.
One output (# 5?) from the first 4094 is into the Data input of the second 4094.
3 outputs from each 4094 go into the R/2R.
Various other 4094 outputs - and serial outputs go to the VCO's or into the R/2R...

Timing on the clocks comes down to twiddling until it does good things....

Anyway - there's really not much involved in this patch - except lots of trial and error.
Clear like mud?

I'll get the R/2R values to you this afternoon...

bruce

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much-o excellentay!! K then. I'll get down to doing a CD4094 layout in ExpressPCB as well. I've been spending the last 90 minutes or so, doing a PCB layout for the 4017 / 4051, thinking THAT were the key source! Laughing An' an' an' an' (sounding like an excited kid), I even rearranged all of the pin hookups between the 2 chips, to make it almost entirely jumper free! (Except 1 for Ground).
Well then - I leave printing and cooking of a PCB for THIS layout til later as I'm down to less than 1 sheet of Press n Peel now, with my next shipment of some prossibly not arriving until the end of next week. Sad For now, I have to stop making PCBs on just a "whimsical thought" and only make ones that'll be useful for sure, right away.

Looking forward to the R-2R data. Thanks for your troubles and let's hear more! Very Happy
jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad to hear all the fun sounds in this thread!

heres some "harmonic" stuff ive been trying to pull out of 4017s

jb3909.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jb3909.mp3
 Filesize:  9.04 MB
 Downloaded:  1355 Time(s)

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jnuaury wrote:
glad to hear all the fun sounds in this thread!

heres some "harmonic" stuff ive been trying to pull out of 4017s

THAT one was phenominal to hear! How with the 4017(s)? With 4051 or somethin' else??

VERY curious! Very Happy
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jnuaury wrote:
4017s

Ok - Spill it. Laughing

What are you doing for that sound?

bruce

jnuaury

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just took your typical lunetta oscillator and clocked a few 4017s with it
i mixed the signals coming out of the zeroth outputs of the 4017s with diodes
then i just used wires to reset the 4017s differently
its still on the breadboard which is why theres some abrupt drop-outs here and there

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jnuaury , quite nice, IMHO. You are onto something. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rych
For the R/2R Ladder
Using this diagram -
I used 1 Meg for 2R
470K for R
In the feedback loop - 1k with a 50k pot
100 k to ground from the inverting input

Hope that helps -

Good luck

bruce

4-bit_r-2r_d2a_noninv.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.45 KB
 Viewed:  18017 Time(s)

4-bit_r-2r_d2a_noninv.gif

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That actually is quite a cool idea. I may do something similar with the 4017's outputs, to rotary switches. Smile Smile I'll try a pcb with 2 or 3 of them and see how it goes. Some very cool possibilities sonically, there. Smile Smile
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great stuff, I love the textures coming from the 4017s, probably because I'm not from a synth background I'm constantly amazed at how rich a sound you can get with square waves.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
Rych
For the R/2R Ladder
Using this diagram -
I used 1 Meg for 2R
470K for R
In the feedback loop - 1k with a 50k pot
100 k to ground from the inverting input

Hope that helps -

Good luck

bruce

I missed this reply earlier. Thank you greatly Bruce! I'll implement the change on mine and see how all goes, from there! Smile
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:

For that patch I was using the little melody generator I mentioned in my other post...

Slacker - Thanks for bringing up that circuit - I just played with it for the first time tonight - very cool!

bruce

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
slacker wrote:

For that patch I was using the little melody generator I mentioned in my other post...

Slacker - Thanks for bringing up that circuit - I just played with it for the first time tonight - very cool!

bruce

Now - I'm curious as what the circuit is / where it is / where a tune mentioned using it is as well ...... I went searching back through 3 and 4 of this thread. Is it somewhere earlier?

Enquiring minds ...... Smile
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry Rych
Page 3, second post.

Neat little circuit. Feed it three clocks and an oscillator and it outputs a series of tones that are related divisions of the oscillator input.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankee greatly Bruce! I'll look again - maybe with glasses?? Laughing

Edit: Well - what the fudge?? I spent about 90 minutes this morning almost completing the PCB layout FOR that circuit and I was sidetracked by something else, with the mistaken thought that it weren't going to work for what I wanted. Hopefully, I'll be able to find the time to print / cook that PCB this weekend then. Very Happy

Nuther edit: Wholey krykee!!!! Surprised Surprised I've not ever LISTENED to those 2 clips from this melody generator! If I were more awake I'd been printing and cooking that dang board NOW at almost 3 in the born! I can't wait to start playing with THAT in my system! Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't even built this module yet and already, a few minutes ago in the "great room of thought" (bathroom Wink ) I came up with a modification for it that I would like to try:

- you've got the 3 control inputs for the 4051, of the 4017 / 4051 circuit. For the control inputs, how about attaching an XOR to each one of them, with a switch for each, on the panel? That way, you could have an inverse control over the bit, that is coming into each of the A, B, C control inputs. (I have this function for each of my Voltage and Manual controllable 4053 switches, in my Lunetta machine.)

- I can't remember what you're using to control yours, Slacker, but I thought of the outputs from a 4 or 8 bit shift register, with the clock for it paired with the clock for the 4017 and / or, controllable individually - or again, with an XOR on IT's input as well. (You'd have 1 Gate left from the XOR chip, used for controlling the A, B, C inputs to the 4051.)

When I build my unit, I'll make a quad XOR module as well, with it and the 4017 / 4051 pair, being individually patchable, to have the most amount of hookup possibilities between them all.

Will post back once it's all done, with an mp3 example. Smile
RF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This snippet is using the 4017/4051 - (the background choppy part.)
Feed a signal in, clocks fast - and chopped up with another clock on the the enable pin.

bruce

Buzzkill.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buzzkill.mp3
 Filesize:  968.16 KB
 Downloaded:  1425 Time(s)

RF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fun.
Much the same setup as the previous cut, only one of the main clocks is derived from the output of a VCO - which is fed back into itself.
4051/4017/4094/4094/4024/2*40106 VCO/and R/2R Ladder

luna3.mp3
 Description:
.. what you hear if you play "Won't Get Fooled Again" sideways.

Download
 Filename:  luna3.mp3
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Downloaded:  1393 Time(s)

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The raw piercingness along with it's rhythm, made me think of these 2 tracks being THEE AC/DC of Lunetta!! Twisted Evil Very Happy
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great sound clips Bruce, glad you like it.
It's also pretty cool if you run all the inputs at well below audio as well, that gives you a stream of pulses at different "tempos" that you can then use to control other things. For example, it gives a stuttering sort of rhythm if you use it to gate some other audio stream.

Rych I like the idea of using gates to give more variation. I've tried NANDing different clocks together to control it and that works well, when I build some XORs I'll try those as well.
RF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW
Here's a clip using 4 4017's to divide a single Lunetta VCO's audio into 7 parts. /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8. (It's the 4017 layout portion of the CGS pulse divider)

The output of the divider is summed, and the divisions are switched in and out by other portions of the Lunetta - counters, shift registers, etc. by 4066 bi-lateral switches.

It's different. The jury is still out on this, I think.

bruce

Luna4.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Luna4.mp3
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Downloaded:  1333 Time(s)

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I listened to the track almost a full 2 x.

I'm ...... not sure. Confused

(Please note on the following: my interpretation is IF I understood it correctly. I may be mistaken in what I heard. Wink )

There were a strong amount of note progression, repetition. That would be from the controllers over the 4066 switches themselves though, wouldn't it?

I would try activating the switches, not only at different integer divisions, but at different frequencies from other clocks.

Also - summing the outputs from the 4 x 4017s.......

Scrap all that I just said. Sad

I just had a look at Ken's schematic again on this one. I'm now possibly tending to agree with you.

That's a fair amount of hardware, with only 7 division outputs, thereby possibly limiting the possibilities coming FROM the unit.

1 possibly salvaging thought - would be having the option of driving the 4 x 4017's from different clocks; summed / logic'd inputs to each of their clocks. That would then completely mess up with the output logic, but could it possibly bring a further useful variance??

Jury's now out on this one for me as well. It could be, too limiting. Sad

Thanks for going to all of the trouble to get this one up and going though, Bruce!

Mmmmm. I wasn't sure whether to upload this MINIMALIST piece or not, but I'll send it up, to hopefully cheer up your ear!

I did this track last night, wishing to see what it could sound like to feed the 8 outputs from my 1 input to 8 output multiplexer, into my 8 input R-2R DAC.
I changed a couple of the DAC's inputs (after hearing ONLY 2 different notes) to outputs from 2 of my 4 bit shift registers and added in the function of my 4 Stage LFO.
The outputs of the DAC and the 4 Stage LFO are both modulating a single Liquid Voice at differing levels, through the 6 minutes piece.
Page 4 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: