electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Let's see your Lunetta!
Page 21 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noob question: What is with the external ground connections I keep seeing on a lot of people's output mixers?
macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

commathe wrote:
Noob question: What is with the external ground connections I keep seeing on a lot of people's output mixers?

It's a good question to ask! If you have a coupe different cases, run on a couple different power supplies, you would need to connect their grounds together somehow in order for them to pass signals between each other.

If both cases are connected to the same audio mixer via a grounded jack cable, for example, problem solved. However, maybe one case doesn't have jack outputs, perhaps because it's only a sequencer without audio output. Dedicated ground connections would be handy in such a situation.

This is pretty much a banana-specific thing, EuroRack and other formats solve it by (redundantly) grounding every single cable.

commathe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic! I had been really confused about this but it now makes so much sense. I was just seeing a jack that had nothing it could connect to and getting confused but I didn't think about having more than one modular playing nice together.
granoj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is so EPIC, love the use of piezos
sndbyte wrote:
There is no amp in this video, just 2 piezo discs, so use headphones.

2 LFOs made with a 4069 CMOS IC. One is driving a photocell which is connected to a 40106 oscillator. This is then gated using a 4066 CMOS analogue switching IC (the other LFO is controlling the gate). The output is then sent to 2 piezo discs which is why the volume is so low.

Dogenigt

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ARISTOTELES - work in progress. more to come in near future at www.dogenigt.com

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Albert Einstein
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks great Very Happy
I like the combination of the type of knobs, banana jacks and those lovely red pushbuttons you used.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an observation of a problem I would like to share: this thread is depriving this forum of lots of new topics, the very lifeblood of a forum, because the purpose of the lunetta forum is basically to see your lunettas.
The above lunetta-synth is a perfect example, it could have it's own thread with lots of discussion about the circuits, which would be more easy to find but instead it's hidden away in this thread, much harder to find than a dedicated topic an as such it'll probably go unseen by many who'd like to see it.
TL;DR this thread is pointless because one of the purposes of the already existing lunetta forum, is to show people your lunetta.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well this is nothing special just a 4093 schmitt Trigger giving the main clock signal then divided via 4024 and then several Outputs fed into another schmitt trigger again to trigger my ms20, 2 other outputs into an 4030 OR gate feeding with its output together with a divided sequence of the clock a 3rd schmitt trigger thus controlling the LPF and and other divided clock signal controlling the HPF...

makes a nice and cheap (3-4 Euro for electronic components, the pot is the most "expensive" component there) pattern Generator... then with a second clock input things become more chaotic... i'm thinking of building this into a box and keeping it almost patchable including spdt to bybass one source on the schmitt Triggers Inputs...

another nice thing would be converting these signals to triangle or ramp for filter Controlling...

here's a short sample...
simply White noise & squarwave... other Outputs could also control the s&h function... no effects and sorry for the bad Quality it's recorded through the microphone input of my laptop..

cmos2_0.mp3
 Description:
another sample of this simple pattern generator

Download
 Filename:  cmos2_0.mp3
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Downloaded:  1097 Time(s)

Dogenigt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
I have an observation of a problem I would like to share: this thread is depriving this forum of lots of new topics, the very lifeblood of a forum, because the purpose of the lunetta forum is basically to see your lunettas.
The above lunetta-synth is a perfect example, it could have it's own thread with lots of discussion about the circuits, which would be more easy to find but instead it's hidden away in this thread, much harder to find than a dedicated topic an as such it'll probably go unseen by many who'd like to see it.
TL;DR this thread is pointless because one of the purposes of the already existing lunetta forum, is to show people your lunetta.

Sure, I'll definately give her a thread of her own she's done! Smile

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. - Albert Einstein
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:

That's a great point! Closing the thread is probably not the best way to handle this problem. I suggest that people who post here do create another topic for their Lunettas. People that see an interesting Lunetta an request that a dedicated topic be posted with more details and the opportunity for more discussion.

Just my thoughts...

thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
transponderfish

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been lurking an learning here for a very long time, thank you all for sharing so much Very Happy
At last, I have a device which qualifies as a Lunetta: built into an antique violin case (pre WW1, I guess). It is far, far away from being finished, but as you can hear and see, it can produce nasty noises Twisted Evil

You hear a 4093 quad NAND, a 40106, a 4011 Ring mod and a 4051 multiplexer through a mini-mixer, a 386 amp and an old car bass-speaker (the silver circle to the left).

I will open an own thread soon, for sharing my insights on the construction, my stripboard layouts and to ask you all these little questions. Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

transponderfish wrote:

At last, I have a device which qualifies as a Lunetta: built into an antique violin case (pre WW1, I guess).

I love it. Great idea...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuck stephens

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Here's what I got... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys! I've been lurking here for the last year trying to wrap my head around all of this information. With lots of inspiration from this community I've finally built something that I'm somewhat satisfied with. I used 4" PVC fence posts cut down to size as my panels and the whole thing is built into a 12"x38" gun case. I don't have any pics up yet but I just finished a video to give you an idea of what it sounds like-

Here's what I've got-
3 frequency multipliers
3 dividers
12 switches
8 LFOs
6 inverters
1 multiplexer
2 slacker melody generators
2 8 bit shift registers
3 decade counters
2 4 bit optical DAC (LEDs spaced along the inside of a tube with photoresitors at each end)
2 6 bit DACs
6VCOs
1 atari punk console
2 FM VCOs
2 3 channel passive resistor mixers
1 4 channel active mixer/pre amp
1 quad NOR filter
4 1/4" in/out jacks
various logic gates
2 mini space rocker drum modules w/ DIY capacitor cartridges to change drum sounds
1 Arduino random drum generator (GASP! give me some slack- it's a stand in until I find a good cymbal and snare circuit)

I'm really into the idea of generative music and my Lunetta has made me very happy. It's my favorite thing I've ever built and I've built a lot of things!
Thanks to everyone here! You have answered questions you never heard me ask.

my lunetta.jpg
 Description:
Here's a pic of my Lunetta noise machine as of 7/14
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  448 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

my lunetta.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've no idea what happened in the above post - bit it didnt like the vimeo bits very much, had to edit those out to get the text visible .. sorry for that.
commathe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome build! I like it a lot!
synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Very nice, makes me want to build one too. I like the way you used screws as connectors. I guess you connect those with alligator clips.
Reading through your list of ingredients, I see that you mention 3 frequency multipliers. Would you share how you built those?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Here's what I got... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice, and it looks like a useful collection of circuits you got in there. Very Happy

chuck stephens wrote:
I used 4" PVC fence posts cut down to size as my panels"

that's an excellent idea! Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chuck stephens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Rate multipliers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was having trouble getting the text body of my posts here to show up. Does this site not get along with Firefox?

synaesthesia wrote:
Wow! Very nice, makes me want to build one too. I like the way you used screws as connectors. I guess you connect those with alligator clips.
Reading through your list of ingredients, I see that you mention 3 frequency multipliers. Would you share how you built those?

Interesting story- I had no intention of using rate multipliers or even much of an idea of what they are. I ordered some 4572 hex gates from my distributor and they sent 4527 rate multipliers instead. When I notified the vendor they said to keep the multipliers and they'd send the hex gates ASAP. Not being one to let anything go to waste I downloaded the data sheet and was intrigued by the chip. It has a a clock input, 4 bit BCD input, an inhibit pin, a clock input and a standard and inverted output. It multiplies the clock input by 1/10th of the BCD input (by dividing by 1/10th it is actually a divider but who am I to quibble?). The interesting thing was the timing diagram. My initial plan was to use it as an arpeggio generator but it really shines when you input audio frequencies to the clock pin. It works in a similar fashion to the Slacker melody gen but with only one chip. I liked it so much I built three! The construction is basically pin to post with pull down resistors where appropriate.

PS After pricing banana plugs and jacks screw posts and alligator jumpers were a no brainer. I'm all about thrift!

cd4527be datasheet.pdf
 Description:
Check out the timing diagram.

Download
 Filename:  cd4527be datasheet.pdf
 Filesize:  421.45 KB
 Downloaded:  453 Time(s)

Last edited by chuck stephens on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck stephens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Here's what I got... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
very nice, and it looks like a useful collection of circuits you got in there. Very Happy

chuck stephens wrote:
I used 4" PVC fence posts cut down to size as my panels"

that's an excellent idea! Shocked

PVC fence posts are an awesome material! I use it to make project boxes. One 8 foot post makes 4"wide boxes at 8.5 cents per inch of length! I use scraps of Centra- a vinyl used in the sign industry- to make ends and thin plywood for the bottom. Super cheap and easy to cut, drill and customize.
chuck stephens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's try this in Explorer. Here's a video link-
http://vimeo.com/100467031
chuck stephens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: And another Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://vimeo.com/100383138
chuck stephens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: mp3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK let's try an mp3-

MAKESHIFTMORGUE.mp3
 Description:
Makeshift Morgue by nepchune

Download
 Filename:  MAKESHIFTMORGUE.mp3
 Filesize:  17.71 MB
 Downloaded:  420 Time(s)

synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. I didn't know the 4527 rate multiplier chip yet, but that's exactly what I needed. Added to my shopping list.
Dogenigt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By request, I've made a dedicated topic of its own for my lunetta (WIP):
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-62324.html

karczilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi i'm new here. going to start building a modular lunetta soon once some more CMOS chips and more banana jacks come in...hopefully next week.

i'm going to have tons of questions and probably bug all of you. Wink

textual wrote:
been a while since I began this guy.. its been done though since May.

textual wrote:
Thanks for the comments, here is a recording from recent.. [url][/url][/code]

this is beautiful build and patch in the soundcloud link textual. i would love for an overlay graphic with text over each module, as I begin to pick what modules i want to end up making. i have 13 pages of lunetta forum to scour. there's so much on here! Very Happy
Page 21 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: