electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Module Reference Comparative Table
Page 2 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stepped on someones foot I guess, sorry. Let me try to explain better.

For tables its obvious that they can be made to run forwards and backwards.

For computed patterns this is not so obvious though and for some algorithms it's computationally hard, or even impossible, to run them time reversed.

The random pattern generator is probably based on a shift register with feedback through some xor ports, a computed pattern.

Can this particular computation easily be made to recompute a previous output value ?

Are there any (or maybe other) known semi random algorithms that have the property of being able to be run time reversed ?

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right, retrograde doent't make sense for lots of computed functions. But it is appropriate for anything that loops. The G2 Random Pattern Generator has a loop feature.

Think of those guys, Tom Dissenvelt, Kid Baltan, and Dick Raaijmakers at the Phillips Labs electronic music studios, or their compatriots in other tape music studios around the world in the 50s and 60s. What would they say if we told them that in 2004 the most advanced synthesizer couldn't play loops backwards?

I know, the G2 can play some loops backwards, but it's an afterthought and a kludge at best. - IMH0. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at Rob's Formant Osc I find that there must be a basic principle I don't understand yet.
The Inverter holds "two independent logic inverters". What's the reason to connect to the input of the second one without connecting to its output?

I agree, that everything that has a pattern should be reversible. I'd rather compare it to serial composition technique than to early tape composition though. Playing a whole sound backwards can be accomplished with samplers, whereas serialism is more... modular.

Here's another list to check. Next time I'll note the new ones, so you don't have to scan through all this.

NM ----- G2

In/Out
Keyboard - voice ----- Keyboard
2 Outputs ----- 2-Out + Mixer 1-1S (Mixer)
Poly Area In ----- Fx-In
Audio In ----- 2-In
Keyboard - patch ----- Mono Key (w/o release velocity)

Oscillator
Osc A ----- Osc B +Mixer 1-1 (Mixer)
Osc B ----- Osc B +Mixer 1-1 (Mixer)
Noise Generator ----- Noise
Spectral Osc ----- sim: Osc Shape A
Osc Sine Bank ----- 6 x Osc C + Mix 8-1A (Mixer)
Osc Slave FM ----- Osc PM
Master Oscillator ----- Osc Master
Osc Slave C-E ----- Osc C
Formant Osc ----- see enhanced solution by Mr. Rob Hordijk, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3159.html

Envelope
ADSR-Env ----- Env ADSR
AD-Env ----- Env AD/R

Filter
Filter A ----- Flt LP
Filter B ----- Flt HP
Filter D ----- Flt Multi
Filter E ----- Flt Nord +Mixer 1-1 (Mixer)
Filter F ----- Flt Classic +Mixer 1-1 (Mixer)

LFO
LFO Slave B-E ----- Lfo B/C
Clock Generator ----- Clock Generator
Pattern Generator ----- Random Pattern as explained by Mr. Rob Hordijk, http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3159.html, as yet without fwd/rev input Smile
LFO Slave A ----- Lfo B

Mixer
3 inputs mixer ----- Mix 4-1B
8 inputs mixer ----- Mix 8-1B
Pan Pan
X-Fade X-Fade
1 to 2 Fade ----- Fade 1-2
2 to 1 Fade ----- Fade 2-1
4-1 Switch ----- Switch 4-1 (Switch) + Mixer 4-1B
OR Mixer 4-1C
OnOff ----- Switch On/Off Toggling (Switcher)
LevMult1 ----- LevAmp1
GainControl (Gain controller (multiply)) -----
Level Multiplier (Level) + Level Converter (Level)
LevMult (Adjustable gain control) -----
Lev Amplifier (Level)
LevAdd (Adjustable offset) -----
Lev Add (Level)

Audio
Level Shifter/Converter ----- Level Converter (Level)
Diode ----- Rectifier (Shaper)
Shaper ----- Shape Static (Shaper)

Control
Constant ----- Constant (Level)
Control Mixer ----- Mixer 2-1B (Mixer)
Partial Generator ----- Partial Quantizer (Note)
Portamento A/B ----- see Patch Settings (w/o jump)/Glide (Note)

Logic
Pulse ----- Pulse
Logic Inverter ----- Logic Inverter

Have a good night,
sebber
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
I agree, that everything that has a pattern should be reversible. I'd rather compare it to serial composition technique than to early tape composition though. Playing a whole sound backwards can be accomplished with samplers, whereas serialism is more... modular.

Good point. Serialism is more modular. Yes, a better analogy. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What's the reason to connect to the input of the second one without connecting to its output?

It forces the whole logic module (ie-both inverters) to run at audio rate (so the inverter oscillates at 48KHz) rather than the slower yellow rates...[/list]
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Ha.. Obsessive - certainly, obsessed with quality. I think clocked events like pattern generators and sequencers should be bidirectional. It's similar to the obsessive expectation that on a modular system anything that has a knob should be controllable with a signal.

Please don't confuse my logical and reasonable suggestions with ones that are over-the-top. Twisted Evil

Really, pattern generators are often used as melodic generators, and retrograde motion is one of the oldest and most enduring musical techniques. Retrograde motion should be a design value in every modular synthesizer, just like voltage control. --- IMHO --- In My Humble Obsession.

It's quite natural, this backwards and forwards thing.

But us humans are a bit ignorant, like it is much more
morf enil txen eht dna thgir ot tfel morf daer ot larutan
right to left. Its so logical to change the reading
morf egap txen eht dnA .enil gnitanretla yreve noitcerid
bottom to top and then from top to bottom again, etc. Much,
hcihw gnikcehc tneps emit sselesu on ,lacimonoce erom hcum
line to read next, better for the health as less strain on
yb neddibrof eb dluohs tnirp lanoitceridinU .kcen eht
international law, imho.

Still, as long as books will not be printed in
eb yldetbuodnu lliw srecneuqes ,'tnirp lanoitceriditlum'
developed without backwards/forwards options.

boR/
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahaha, nice one Laughing

Personally, I'd like to see pattern shift buttons on the sequencers, but that's for another thread...
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob, you sick man Wink , I do hope you had a module to to the multidirectionals for you Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob, your post offers much to think about. It does make my eyes feel wacky.
sebber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I we were arabs, our troubles with reading this text would be inversed. Very Happy

Our brain is to a certain extent able to hear backwards and inversed. Baroque music is an example. But even if you don't hear it - the result, what you hear, stems from the technique. So if you can't hear through a 5 voice 3 theme fugue, it doesn't matter, the technique transports the content. You can feel it, the music is not intended to sound "easy".

What I'm trying to say: you might not be able to recognize something that has turned backwards. But you'll hear something you've probably never heard. I wouldn't want to miss the possibility to play a tape backwards. The same goes for things as yet inexistent.

Not only music can be bidirectional, smileys can, too:

kiss

Very Happy

I had to login three times, I hope this doesn't get tripled.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

The random pattern generator is probably based on a shift register with feedback through some xor ports, a computed pattern.

Can this particular computation easily be made to recompute a previous output value ?

Are there any (or maybe other) known semi random algorithms that have the property of being able to be run time reversed ?

Jan.

Afaik it's a linear congruential thing with two primes.

I've understood that these algorithms yield a pattern of length '2^n - 1' if 'n' bits are used and that each possible value should occur n-1 times in the sequence. (n-1 as there might be one 'forbidden' value for the algorithm that would hang it, probably zero)

Which gives me some sort of feel that probably all possible sequences of length n are somewhere in the whole sequence, and that a reversed instance of some sequence of length n must always be hidden somewhere. So, if 24 bits are used, each pattern that does not exceed a length of 24 steps should have a reversed instance somewhere and the right seed should produce it.

Meaning that it just could be a matter of identifying the right seed(s) to give a reversed subpattern?

Or is this a bit over easy? I'm not a mathematician, I wouldn't know how to go about figuring this sort of thing out and how to prove this either right or wrong.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
I've understood that these algorithms yield a pattern of length '2^n - 1' if 'n' bits are used and that each possible value should occur n-1 times in the sequence. (n-1 as there might be one 'forbidden' value for the algorithm that would hang it, probably zero)

Linear congruential I think is multiplying by a number and then adding another one. So when that other one is not zero, zero would not be a value to hang the sequence. I'd go for 2^n. for properly chosen numbers.

Quote:

Which gives me some sort of feel that probably all possible sequences of length n are somewhere in the whole sequence, and that a reversed instance of some sequence of length n must always be hidden somewhere. So, if 24 bits are used, each pattern that does not exceed a length of 24 steps should have a reversed instance somewhere and the right seed should produce it.

Ok let me try :-)

All possible sequences of length n would yield 2^n sequences, so a pattern length of n * 2^n if all those sequences would appear in some order one after the other in the pattern. But the pattern length was thought to be 2^n and so not all possible sequences of length n can be present I think, but only one in every n possible will be there. And so if everything would be distributed neatly the chance of the backward sequence to be present (as a forward sequence somewhere else) would be 1/n.

Did I go wrong somewhere ?

Then still ... the sequence length can be 128 ...

I'd been thinking on a quick compute of all the 128 values in the currently selected pattern, store those values in a table, and then they can be played forwards and backwards ... but we have real time modulations for the pattern, so this seems to be not very practical.

Jan.
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May I use the pictures of the rebuilt Formant Osc and the explanation of the pattern generator in a web site? Credits included, of course?
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
May I use the pictures of the rebuilt Formant Osc and the explanation of the pattern generator in a web site? Credits included, of course?

Yeah, but for the Pattern Generator do refer to the text in the helpfile for the V1.24 OS that is just released. It seems that in the description of the Rnd modules group and the Rnd module parameters there is much interesting info.
The 'many million' patterns that is suggested for the RndPattern most certainly refers to 2^24 possible seeds on the A and B inputs, provided that one knows how to mix these with constant modules and mixers.

My guess is that the discussion on the possible patterns, if they also appear backwards somewhere, or even if there are doubles, is not over yet. And is probably stalled until Jan returns from his holiday. Smile
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thanks.

Here we go:

http://www.sebastianberweck.de/G2/MRT.htm

Things I'm not happy with /not sure about:

1) I'm not really happy with the Spectral Osc.

2) Monophonic Keyboard doesn't have release velocity.

3) The solution for Osc Sine Bank looks a bit funny.

4) I'm not sure about the ControlMixer.

5) What about the Jump in Portamento B?

Reassurement and solutions are welcome!

Thanks,
sebber

BTW: where did I get the colour from, hm? Smile
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber et. all: THANK YOU. Please keep pursuing this until it all gets ironed out. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT REFERENCE CHART to anyone who owns both the old and new units who are trying to rebuild their favorite patches.
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He he, I knew when I started this topic, I'd had thrown a pebble in a pool Twisted Evil

Well,I think everything would be perfect when all these knowledges will be gathered in an addendum to present OS manual, or in a later next version.

In meanwhile is mi idea to complete the sebber Table with graphical images. I've taken snapshots about all the modules of both Modulars Editors, so sebbers if you like I can send they to you,maybe we can
hit the goal in making a PDF file with images and descriptions about difference and similarity as result of comparative table.

I hope Clavia wouldn't ignore this Rolling Eyes
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once the G2 patch format is figured out, we can start a script to auto-convert these things too. So one thing that might be helpful to add to the table is how I/O is mapped as well.
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

at least it's important for someone like me, reading all the things about the NM classic and spending hours to find a way how to do it on the G2. I'm learning something, ok, but it's no fun this way.

And that's what we're supposed to have: fun! The more I get to know the two machines, the more I'm thrilled at how advanced and more consistent the G2 is.

Anyway, we've covered only 50% of the modules so far, there's still a lot to do. modular, thanks for doing the pictures, that's great! I sure will impelement them. But I'd like to get it done first, you know what I mean? So, send them in, and I'll put the pictures in it, but only after one group of modules is done.

I read somewhere, that Clavia is working on a new and improved manual. I don't mean to say, that it's not good right now, but there's sure a lot more to tell. But then... it's pretty thick already!

Meanwhile: have lots of fun.

sebber
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Talking about consistency: the only difference between a Constant Switch Momentary and a Constant Switch Toggling is an arrow.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

Meanwhile: have lots of fun.
sebber

Couldn't agree more on that one. Smile

Still, there is one entry in your list I disagree with, its the FMB osc. This should actually be an OscC set to Trk mode. Or to be totally correct, an OscC set to FMLin with a 6dB highpass filter before the input. But this filter should be set to a cutoff of 48kHz, making this not really an option. The FMTrk setting comes closest. Still, when using selfmodulation on the OscC in FMTrk mode a 6dB HP set to e.g. 98 Hz is necessary to prevent detuning (DC blocking).

The OscPM actually has no equivalent on the old NM. It is true that the difference between the OscFM and the old FMB is subtle, but the difference is there. So, the equivalent for the FMB is definitely not the OscPM. It will sound different, though still very FMish.

FM is getting a bit confusing on the G2 right now. Basically there are several types of FM and the G2 can now do them all. The difference is subtle sonically, but needs a lot of deep talk to explain these subtle differences.
You're not gonna get an explanation from me as I just got this old spring reverb up and going and I'm gonna have some fun with it. Its definitely not gonna be easy to make a G2 springreverb patch, the spring thing sounds downright aweful, which is great. I think the bandwidth is something like between 250 Hz and 1kHz or something, with lot's of overdrive or something. Perhaps a big bank of resonant filters might do a better job than using delaylines.
sebber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody,

doing it in html will slow the updating process down a bit, I hope you'll understand. modular, when you send me the pictures, can you group them like the module groups, that would be very helpful.

Rob, disagreement is very welcome, especially when there's already a solution. Unfortunately, I don't understand a word Embarassed If you, by chance, another picture, maybe?

And I have a question about the redo of the Formant Osc: in the old one the timbre could be controlled by another device. How can I do that in the new one?

Don't know enough about it, might be really easy.

sebber
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

Rob, disagreement is very welcome, especially when there's already a solution. Unfortunately, I don't understand a word Embarassed If you, by chance, another picture, maybe?

Well, it isn't that important, it was just a remark to keep this list 'formally correct'. I guess it should be. But the explanations are sometimes a long story and I guess I'm a bit tired talking about FM. Smile

sebber wrote:

And I have a question about the redo of the Formant Osc: in the old one the timbre could be controlled by another device. How can I do that in the new one?

sebber

Just modulate the seed value, that's all there is to it. That was what the old one actually did internally, for selecting other timbres. Now you can also modulate the Step control, which can give the waveform a bit more beef. Which is quite nice, I've always found the old one a bit too thin for my taste. And the two Character Types can make a slight difference as well.
sebber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:
http://www.sebastianberweck.de/G2/MRT.htm
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i emailed Clavia again to ask about giving us back our version 1 modules in the g2 or making some more comparable ones (for the ones where there is no direct replacement) and they said that they have had several requests for that and have put them on the wish list to the developers.
Last edited by Hyde on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: