electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Weekend Stream Jams
Page 3 of 3 [64 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Shane, let's Jam today? I'll play guitar and ChucK.

Les

I can't wait to learn what this Chuck thingy is!! hope you'll be showing it at the festival!!

I was going to try & get connected to the stream last nite but I decided to program my Micron instead. Most of the rhythms, patterns & setups on that thing need a LOT of help!! Surprised

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laura, I will indeed have a ChucK demonstration at the festival. You can check it out anytime. Looking forward to hearing your music on the stream.

Les

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a caveat: I expected when you add an encoder Edcast would have to come up with your LAME encoder or what have you. Instead it shows an encoder that was already there, so I figured something was wrong.

In fact you doubleclick on it and select the encoder that you want in the configuration screen that opens next.

I should have had more confidence in the instructions.
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to try to join at some point. I use Gentoo for my computer DAW, so I have a choice among shoutcast, icecast and ninjam (none of which I've installed yet, but will).

Question: is 128kbps upload sufficient? I have ADSL, 192 down, 128 up (WHY they don't make it all one speed is beyond me. Stupid marketing and greed, I suppose, where they force you to upgrade if you want something reasonable).
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Question: is 128kbps upload sufficient?

I'm afraid not ... 128 kbps would mean 100% filled with audio, that is asking for trouble.

nobody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
audiodef wrote:
Question: is 128kbps upload sufficient?

I'm afraid not ... 128 kbps would mean 100% filled with audio, that is asking for trouble.

Shoot! I knew having less than cable internet would trip me up at some point. I've just been trying to avoid Comcast. They have a monopoly in this area and I don't like monopolies. Rolling Eyes
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny though, ADSL is much faster here, a lot of people (I'm a bit less lucky) get > 20 Mbps one way and > 4 Mbps the other ... still cable is offering 50 Mbps in some parts of the country ... I'd want fiber ... I'd have some good use for fiber ... ah well.

Monopoly was never really a game for me either.

nobody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's not ADSL. I thought it was. But anyway, I think I'm wrong about the speed. Verizon's slowest DSL connection is 1mbps/386kbps. I may have the 3/786 service.

Is 1/386 sufficient to stream?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say try it out. I'm guessing that the stream software is easy enough to download and install, and there is a fair chance that you could log into the chat and find some helpful soul that could try to listen to the stream. I don't know the times when the chat is most active - maybe make it coincide with a e-m show?

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe I will just try it out.

I just used http://www.speedtest.net/ and my connection is the first one I mentioned, 1 down, .5 mbps up. There's an upgrade I can get (actually, two, but the second one has the same upload speed, so I'm not going to bother) to nearly double my up speed for what I think is a reasonable price (reasonable for capitalism, anyway Razz ).
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
.5 mbps up

That should work, I can run at least four or five 128 kbps streams out with an upload limit of about 900 kbps.

To be able to stream on our server you'll need a shoutcast compatible beamer like ed/odd-cast or nicecast and some server details ... if you report in the chat I'll assign a port for you for testing and will PM you the details then.

nobody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
audiodef wrote:
.5 mbps up

That should work, I can run at least four or five 128 kbps streams out with an upload limit of about 900 kbps.

To be able to stream on our server you'll need a shoutcast compatible beamer like ed/odd-cast or nicecast and some server details ... if you report in the chat I'll assign a port for you for testing and will PM you the details then.

Cool! Lemme get set up on my end and play around with some stuff and get back to you. My DAW-in-progress is a Gentoo box on which I just installed shoutcast and icecast. I've been working on making sure I don't get xruns.

I just have to hope I'm not losing you with technobabble. Razz
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
if you report in the chat I'll assign a port for you for testing and will PM you the details then.

Ah, I forgot there's a server involved. Sorry, didn't mean to speak on behalf of you operator guys. Embarassed

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to speak on behalf of you operator guys. Embarassed

Did you? oh my Shocked Laughing

Anyway, you didn't step on my toes Wink

Page 3 of 3 [64 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: