electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Analogue Systems or Doepfer as 1st Modular system?
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Floyd Pepper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Analogue Systems or Doepfer as 1st Modular system? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After considering getting into modulars for a several years I'm (again) thinking of pulling the trigger...

I'm based in the UK and Analogue Systems and Doepfer both seem good places to start. Their basic systems (AS System 1 and Deopfer BS 1) seem to include what I'd want to start off with. I also want to avoid spending more than £1,500 if possible.

There's not much in this forum about AS. How do people rate them? The Sound on Sound reviews seem to prefer them to Doepfer.

Should I go AS or Doepfer or mix match modules?
abstraktor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an A-sys modular system, with 2 of the A-sys cases/psu's. Although I have 3 Doepfer modules in this 9U system, the rest is A-Sys.
Yes, there's not much mention of A-Sys stuff here, apart from the Rs-95 VCO, which seems to generally well regarded. IMHO the build quality of the A-Sys stuff is better than Doepfer (but with a slightly higher price to match). Doepfer have a wider range of modules than A-Sys, but I'm perfectly happy with the A-Sys modules - very precise and very capable of big complex sounds, as well as bread and butter basses and leads. If I expand the system , I would probably go for other Eurorack modules makes (not necessarily Doepfer) that were a bit more esoteric -but that's because the A-Sys system is a fine springboard into weirdness.
Doepfer make a budget case, but be careful with wanting to use A-Sys modules in it, because the power polarity connections are reversed. My Doepfer modules have reversed leads plugged in to the A-Sys case -they work fine, but the spacing of the panels is slightly out from the A-Sys holes.
I've attached a pdf of my system, which is from the java planner

Modulo Java Image.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Modulo Java Image.pdf
 Filesize:  1.29 MB
 Downloaded:  404 Time(s)

a100user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have have a large collection of Doepfer and a reasonable number of Analogue Systems modules. My thoughts are:

Doepfer - cheaper, so hence more modules for your money hence more functionality.

A Sys - larger format modules hence less modules, better build quality, VCO's sound better, multimode filter sounds better than A121.

Personally I would go for a mix of modules. Be careful when it comes to power distribution as A Sys have their own way of doing things, where as the Euro community have all followed Doepfer's lead.

What sort of thing are you hoping to do with the synth, processing external sound, noise machine, traditional synth sounds?
Floyd Pepper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies.

I'd been considering the power supply issue and this had had me thinking if I have a few AS modules I may as well get an AS case and if I have an AS case in a small system I may as well go completely AS. From what I saw the AS modules also seemed to be better specified so I was swinging in the AS direction.

Why I want a modular for is a very good question Very Happy I'm a guitar player who messes about with synths. I had several hardware synths which I recently sold. I kept the Waldorf Pulse+ as it sounds great. I was going to use the Waldorf's CV/Gate out to control the modular.

I want a modular to see what I'm missing. I'd want to use it as a synth, as a sound processor and to make beepy noises. Having looked at what modules I'd ideally have the cost would be about £3,000. At this stage I need to keep closer to the £1,500 mark.
a100user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All I can say is that what ever you choose it's the start of a slippery slope Wink

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Floyd Pepper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
All I can say is that what ever you choose it's the start of a slippery slope

That's one reason why I've put modulars off for so long Smile
abstraktor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go for it Floyd! Cool Cool
Pfurmel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, Im new here and seeing as there is already a lot of My first modular threads, I thought Id just jump in here as my requirements are very similar to the OPs.
One question, abstraktor, you mentioned that you would go for some of the more esoteric euro rack gear, could you give me some examples of these? I am very much into self-evolving pads, I would be hoping to build a nice noise machine for myself and anything esoteric or out of the ordinary would be a plus.
abstraktor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
euro modulars arent too good at polyphonic pads, because theyre essentially monophonic beasts. You can tune individual VCO's to a chord, but this limits the ability to create more interesting timbres from them (for example, sync sweeps). A lot of users investigate FM synthesis (using VCO's to cross modulate each other), and this where some of the more esoteric sound generating modules aim themselves (Livewire etc.). Waveshapers can also give interesting variations on the standard saw/square/triangle wave - both of these (FM, Waveshaper modules) can produce weird and wonderful noises.
Basically though, the more VCO's, filters and envelope generators you have in a system, the more potential you have for evolving complex sounds.
I'm sure there are other users out there in E-M who can give you the low down on their specific "boutique" modules.
hope this helps Wink
Pfurmel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool,
Well the only reason I was edging towards Euro was that most euro modules seem to be readily available over on this side of the world, if I need to buy from America for example, I am looking at import duty, which can be high in Ireland meaning I get less for my money. But if it means I get the sound I desire, then maybe its the only way to go.

Anyway, yes the Livewire modules look really interesting, especially their Dalek Modulator:
http://www.livewire-synthesizers.com/forums.html?op=modulators&module=dalek
And Cyndustries Zeroscillator looks good. Anyone around here use any of these?
nerdware

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Postmodular are in the UK and stock many of the popular Eurorack modules. There's also a Doepfer distributer in the UK.
matrix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Get a case that supports both. http://monorocket.com/ for example. Really nice cases, affordable and they support both Analogue Systems and Doepfer formats in the same case.
abstraktor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, there is much more choice available in Eurorack modules -a lot of small companies making peculiar gizmos. It's a very good time to be getting into modularity!
be sure and check power supply requirements for whatever you decide to put together, though.
matrix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definite! See this post with a poll and a link to why I think everyone should consider getting a modular. It's not just about building a synth.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/03/electro-harmonix-ring-thing-demo-by.html

demi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: MODCAN & DOEPFER POLARITY connection issues..? or not!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abstraktor wrote:
I have an A-sys modular system, with 2 of the A-sys cases/psu's. Although I have 3 Doepfer modules in this 9U system, the rest is A-Sys.
Yes, there's not much mention of A-Sys stuff here, apart from the Rs-95 VCO, which seems to generally well regarded. IMHO the build quality of the A-Sys stuff is better than Doepfer (but with a slightly higher price to match). Doepfer have a wider range of modules than A-Sys, but I'm perfectly happy with the A-Sys modules - very precise and very capable of big complex sounds, as well as bread and butter basses and leads. If I expand the system , I would probably go for other Eurorack modules makes (not necessarily Doepfer) that were a bit more esoteric -but that's because the A-Sys system is a fine springboard into weirdness.
Doepfer make a budget case, but be careful with wanting to use A-Sys modules in it, because the power polarity connections are reversed. My Doepfer modules have reversed leads plugged in to the A-Sys case -they work fine, but the spacing of the panels is slightly out from the A-Sys holes.
I've attached a pdf of my system, which is from the java planner

another newbie here and relative novice but been a fascinating (not timewasting) experience trawling through this very helpful and informative forum.

My question is based on the similar topic but was curious if anybody could comment on whether combining Doepfer and MODCAN modules could pose similar problems or indeed with the A-SYS - I'm in two minds still as to whether to jump on board A-sys or Doepfer
hesed

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember 5 years agoo when i bought my first modular system was a AS, after scwitching on no light was on and no sound so i send it back, after a week i receive another one and this this start to make a grey smoke.
So i decide to get a Doepfer and i had no problem. Maybe was just unfortunate or the people from the store did not plug the modules on the bus properly. That's my experience.

amsonx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

atm23.net wrote:
I remember 5 years agoo when i bought my first modular system was a AS, after scwitching on no light was on and no sound so i send it back, after a week i receive another one and this this start to make a grey smoke.
So i decide to get a Doepfer and i had no problem. Maybe was just unfortunate or the people from the store did not plug the modules on the bus properly. That's my experience.

bad experience...

may be the problem was the not prpopery standard power conncetor of AS ?

on muff there is a useful trhead about this topic

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-15109.html

and give a look to Makenoise modules..
hope this help
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: