electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Snow Leopard available in Apple Stores
Page 3 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ProTools and Avid NLEs don't like change.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Yes, a bit like most XP users I know too! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I pre-ordered and installed the new 10.6 the Monday after it was released.

I'm new to the Mac though so I've not noticed a freaking bit of difference. Nothing seemed different... there was no documentation that came with the cdrom... no fanfare no new stickers Wink nuttin' honey.

Ableton 7 and Cubase 4 still work... my G2 editor works...

I must admit I'm interested in try Path Finder... I find moving from XP and the functionality of the file browser is missed in finder... perhaps just getting used to a different system.

cheers
Steve

life is a treasure... dig it!
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:

If you installed Snow Leopard without checking up on the compatibility between it and those three apps, you, sir, are a brave man. Wink

Apple already has an update to it too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10350001-37.html

Some old stuff on VIRB
stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
stevenclements wrote:

If you installed Snow Leopard without checking up on the compatibility between it and those three apps, you, sir, are a brave man. Wink

Apple already has an update to it too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10350001-37.html

LOL brave or stupid sigh ... I actually have my PC next to the 8 core Mac beast as I do the transition just in case.

I've been so used to doing most file management with "windows explorer' (not internet explorer...) that's probably the biggest bump in the road for me. I have to say I love, adore, respect Mac for it's ability to handle drivers... all my MOTU, Midisport, various synth editor drivers work flawlessly... I like how I can shut off the Virus TI or any USB or Firewire device and it disappears from the 'preferences' in cubase then PING shows up again when I turn it back on. I almost wet my pants... that required lots of rebooting and finger crossing with a PC and then they could just magically disappear one day.... blood pressure builder that one.

I will not be a fanboy... but I will certainly praise the Mac and I hope get more familiar with it in the coming months.

Steve

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:
I've been so used to doing most file management with "windows explorer'

I recently bought a Mac as well and this is one of my main hurdles too .. the other one is that I like a wordstar compatible editor for my software writing and I could not find anything good sofar ... oh and the development environment takes me awful lot of time to get into.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try PathFinder, I think it is a pretty good "Explorer".

Wordstar, you are showing your age there Jan. I was always a brief fan, took me years to be mentally removed from those keystrokes maybe that same day has come for you now?

XCode is also pretty nasty, Cocoa and Carbon are also nasty, as is Objective-C, very bloody nasty.

Well at least we have PathFinder!
stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...downloading pathfinder!

thanks for the tips gents

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:
I will not be a fanboy...

Bwa hah hah hah hah!!! If the Windows zealots are to be believed, the fact that you said only one non-negative thing about OSX means that you are already, automatically, a fanboy.

James

stevenclements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
stevenclements wrote:
I will not be a fanboy...

Bwa hah hah hah hah!!! If the Windows zealots are to be believed, the fact that you said only one non-negative thing about OSX means that you are already, automatically, a fanboy.

James

HAHA... probably right.

You know... for years I stoically supported windows... blind to the fact that the MAC was more then a viable alternative platform for music. Every time I had down time with my PC... I blamed myself... but then it got to the point that a fresh hard drive... and minimal software installation, well ya just gotta blame the OS.

Fanboy
Steve

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:

Fanboy
Steve

you are not alone, don't worry Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I am going off Snow Leopard a bit!

I keep getting hangs which last about 30 seconds, everything just stops and then starts working again.

Since the 10.6.1 update I have had two total hangs where only a power off will get the machine back.

Its beginning to act like vista!
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll wait a bit longer afore installing Snow Leopard then, or what do the People In The Know say? Question Idea
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The hangs seem to be a problem with Nvidia 7300 cards, waiting for updated driver from Apple.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
The hangs seem to be a problem with Nvidia 7300 cards

Hmm .. nvidia ... it really goes the vista way Shocked

stevenclements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I honestly can say my snow leopard mac is working flawlessly.

My mac is a new one though, I don't know if that makes a difference... one of the 8 core beasts with scads of Ram.

...and acoustically so quiet.

Steve

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
I'll wait a bit longer afore installing Snow Leopard then, or what do the People In The Know say? Question Idea

Yeah- life's still a beach on 10.5 Cool Laughing

I've been also buying components to make a Hackintosh (or two Wink ), and my HP workstation is running Windows nicely in my new office, albeit with no internet! It seems you're screwed these days with a PC with no internet connection Shocked Crying or Very sad

I have no problem with my Mac and no internet. Rolling Eyes

Fanboy Fenn

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
The hangs seem to be a problem with Nvidia 7300 cards

Hmm .. nvidia ... it really goes the vista way Shocked

16/09/2009 17:08:29 kernel NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
16/09/2009 17:08:29 kernel NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x6 = Fifo: Parse Error

Thats the problem, the new drivers that Leopard install for the 7300 have this problem with certain apps, PathFinder is one of these!
stevenclements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
stevenclements wrote:

Fanboy
Steve

you are not alone, don't worry Very Happy

afro

I think I'm gonna put my apple sticker on my sedan to cheeze off the 'PC Zealots'

LOL... I need a modular sticker Very Happy

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:

I think I'm gonna put my apple sticker on my sedan to cheeze off the 'PC Zealots'

Once I put an Apple sticker on my motorbike: someone broke the saddle open probably to see if there was a laptop underneath.
That one was the last sticker I put anywhere.

Evil or Very Mad

btw under the saddle there was no laptop

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I'm not sure that I like AVID/ProTools. Evil or Very Mad

stevenclements

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
stevenclements wrote:

Once I put an Apple sticker on my motorbike: someone broke the saddle open probably to see if there was a laptop underneath.
That one was the last sticker I put anywhere.

Evil or Very Mad

btw under the saddle there was no laptop

Wink

Good point... no stickers on the vehicles then...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know what, I have a PC for work, and I'm rather liking it- or at least I was until I started loading in software which is asking for stupid internet connections- otherwise these programs get grumpy and refuse to work Twisted Evil . At the moment, I've got no internet, so the damn thing works great, but as soon as I'm connected, that blasted virus checking shite's gonna rear its ugly head again, and you bet I'll be lovin (but cursing) my Mac again! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

What I love about my Mac, is that it doesn't keep asking for the internet. Exclamation
What I love about my PC is that it runs all the software for work, my Mac doesn't. Well actually it's more about compatibility with everyone else who use windose. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

stevenclements

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an awesome PC that does all the things I need it to do... not music related.

I have a new big arse MAC - given to me as a gift (thank you lovely wife) that does all the things I need it to do music related.

When using my PC for music... drivers would disappear, drivers would drop, equipment that was supposed to be connected would not be... and this is with a fresh install of everything.

With my MAC... I can unplug or power down devices & the USB and Firewire drivers disappear from my MAC or associated programs... only to instantly reappear when I plug them back in our power them up... this would bring my PC to a grinding halt. I would have to reboot... sometimes more then a few times and sometimes I would have to reinstall.

fanboy
Steve

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stevenclements wrote:

With my MAC...

Steve, in order to be a smug little fanboy, (like myself, of course), you have to stop spelling Mac in upper case letters. A MAC is the address your modem needs to shake hands with your computer, whereas, "Mac", with 'ac' in lowercase, is an abbreviation of "Macintosh". Idea

Capiche? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Page 3 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: