electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
POLL: how many NM Classic (NM1 or G1) users out there?
Page 7 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next

Do you use a NM Classic (NM1 or G1) synthesizer?
yes
96%
 96%  [ 163 ]
not anymore (because of software incompatibilites)
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 169

emArk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Still using my NM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 ... I still use my NM and got so frustrated with the editor not working on OS X 10.10 that I decided to give programming a new editor a go.

Thanks and respect to all you folks out there who in the past years have documented patch formats and midi messages. Wouldn't even have started without your info. Hail the Master

Can't promise anything, but I hope I can pull this off. The NM is too valuable to fall into disuse because of operating system crap.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool !

What will you write it in?

Oh, and welcome of course.

emArk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Cool !

What will you write it in?

Oh, and welcome of course.

Thanks! Should have signed-up years ago.

I'm writing the editor in Objective-C, native OS X. Your patch-file pages at iaf.nl are a treasure. Great work!

Cheers
Mark
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, ok, and you are looking at NOMAD too I guess (but don't look too long there, it's over-complicated IMO).

Anyway, I have a pretty recent Mac with a free USB port that could do MIDI, and still a (somewhat less recent Wink ) NM Classic, so can do some testing once the time is there.

Good luck!

emArk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, looked at Nomad. I don't like Java ...
Most of what I'm hoping to achieve though comes from the work the Nomad team has done 10 years ago, so kudos to them as well.

I'm currently at a stage where I think I mastered the OS X Midi stuff and can 'talk' to the Modular. Now for the Patch up- and download magic to work so I can load patches to the machine. Early days ...
mysteriousforest

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

////
Last edited by mysteriousforest on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
daksha

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks! I got one in december and since then I'm using it everyday!
It slowed down my "concrete" music production, but on the learning side it is a sort of..."brain upgrade" Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

new NM1 user. super happy that i can run the editor own my macbook. that was the main thing that i considered when i bought it.
borque

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Nord Modular for over 14 years now... Bought it second hand from Candy Dulfer (Famous Dutch Saxophone player) It still working perfectly (while standing in an unheated shed).. Not even a pixel dead of the display, 100% noise and hum free... Just stumbled onto this forum looking for some new patches. Found 235 MB of them (wow!!) thanks! Everytime I use the Modular this piece of unique equipment brings me to higher grounds. Love this machine and I will never ever sell it Very Happy
borque

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@emARK: Any progress on the writing of a new editor? My 3.03 version still works perfectly on Windows 10 though?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

welkom borque

welcome

bugrodo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thought I'd say hello here. Recent NM1 owner and very happy to finally join the club. No way I could afford it back in 1998 Smile

Would be great to get all the NM1 patches in one place - is there such a place?

Cheers Smile
DaveTheDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Nord Modular Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Running under Parallels Windows 7 on a Macbook pro with OSX Sierra. Not the cheapest solution and I'd love a native Mac app, but sadly everything else I have tried has been a pain in the ass, this is the most stable setup I could find. I just don't do PC in general, I don't have any use for a PC other than this.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugrodo wrote:
Hey, thought I'd say hello here. Recent NM1 owner and very happy to finally join the club. No way I could afford it back in 1998 Smile

Cheers Smile

Bugrodo: welcome

try here: http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bugrodo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
bugrodo wrote:

Cheers Smile

Bugrodo: welcome

try here: http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/

Thanks very much! That is an amazing resource. Very grateful it has been archived.
pselodux

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just thought I'd drop in and say I am now a proud owner of an expanded NM1 rack as of Friday Very Happy

I bought a Nord Lead (1st gen) for a good price in March after ~15 years of desiring one, and fell in love with it instantly. I wanted to get a NR2 or similar as well, as something small to take to gigs, but ended up seeing a NM for sale and decided to give it a go. I've been making the most godawful noises with it for a few days but hopefully should get into something a bit more musical soon Razz
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome pselodux - and congrats on the Nord(s) Smile
otoskope

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still have 3 Micros, one rack and one keyboard. I use my G2 daily, but the G1 only a few times per year, but I have so much old patches and works based on them so I can't get myself to sell them Smile The editor still works like a charm on contemporary windows machines, so they are absolutely not obsolete. My plan is to integrate at least one Micro in my analog modular - not rework it as a module, as I've seen somebody do, but at least have it permanently set up and connected, with the headphone CV out accessible in banana fomat, and such things.

A couple of years ago, when I tought at the Academy of Music here, we had a Micro ensemble, with 7 Micros and one speaker each. Me and the students composed a number of works. Great fun!

/Palle

pselodux

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

otoskope wrote:
A couple of years ago, when I tought at the Academy of Music here, we had a Micro ensemble, with 7 Micros and one speaker each. Me and the students composed a number of works. Great fun!

Nice! I really want to do this, I have a few friends with modulars (one friend with a G2, the others with hardware/software setups).

I'm very tempted to get a micro to go with my G1, even though it's the same engine, it'd be nice to have something to fill while I change patches on the main unit. That said though, I kinda want to hold out for a G2 as well, so maybe I'll just stay on the lookout for an engine to put underneath my G1 rack in my live rig.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

otoskope wrote:
. we had a Micro ensemble, with 7 Micros and one speaker each.

That's the best way for electronic music, IMHO. Stereo through a PA is really sub-optimal. I can imagine 7 speaker on-stage. The spaciality (not a real word I suspect) of the sound must have been beautiful. I wish more people would do this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pselodux

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to take something like that one step further and have the speakers/performers spread out all around the venue, not just onstage. Monitoring would be an interesting issue but could also result in some interesting dynamics.
I once saw a four-piece bass guitar drone quartet play a show with each member and their amplification in their own corner of the venue, it was amazing!
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pselodux wrote:
I'd love to take something like that one step further and have the speakers/performers spread out all around the venue, not just onstage. Monitoring would be an interesting issue but could also result in some interesting dynamics.
I once saw a four-piece bass guitar drone quartet play a show with each member and their amplification in their own corner of the venue, it was amazing!

I had the opportunity of being one of six people accepted for the first Spatial Music Workshop at Virginia Tech's Moss Art Center's Cube last summer, which has 148 individually addressable speakers arranged in layers on catwalks around the perimeter of the cuboid room. I am the guy sitting down but not wearing a hat in this photo from the Roanoke (VA) Times.

I converted the room's blueprints into a 3D animated graphical model with orbiting satellite cubes whose positions determined the degree of drive for speakers. I was the only one to use external sound sources (zero-input mixers) -- everyone else used samples or software synthesis -- and I was the only one to use graphics synced to the sound steering. I was accepted because I wanted to study approaches for use in our planetarium in Kutztown, PA.

This spring I received a grant for 8 of these PA system speakers and a digital mixer to apply in our planetarium. There really isn't enough room to place the 8 equidistant around the perimeter of the circular-seating room because the back circle of chairs gets too close to the walls in places, so I am thinking of 4 pairs of speakers angled at 45 degrees off of lines to center of the room (each speaker in a pair would be 90 degrees from the other) to see what I can do with that.

The other people in the workshop were trying to use standard spatial sound algorithms to project the sound into the room. I just take the room as a big instrument and try to figure out how to play it. I plan to do the same in the planetarium. There is no sweet spot in these sorts of spaces. In June 2015 we had a 2-day festival in the planetarium. After I figure out how to use this sound system and also our newish laser projector, I may do more of a workshop event, with performances demonstrating workshop results.

RoanokeTimes.png
 Description:
From Roanoke Times article
 Filesize:  118.86 KB
 Viewed:  23919 Time(s)

RoanokeTimes.png

CubeModel.png
 Description:
guidelines for my animated 3D model of The Cube
 Filesize:  79.85 KB
 Viewed:  23920 Time(s)

CubeModel.png

DaleTalk1.jpg
 Description:
a photo of my talk & performance
 Filesize:  112.66 KB
 Viewed:  472 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DaleTalk1.jpg

daletalk2.jpg.jpg
 Description:
another
 Filesize:  100.13 KB
 Viewed:  482 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

daletalk2.jpg.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
[...]I am thinking of 4 pairs of speakers angled at 45 degrees off of lines to center of the room (each speaker in a pair would be 90 degrees from the other) to see what I can do with that.

Maybe get some of the speakers out of the plane? as in lift 'm up (presuming sinking 'm down would be harder to do Rolling Eyes ).

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:
[...]I am thinking of 4 pairs of speakers angled at 45 degrees off of lines to center of the room (each speaker in a pair would be 90 degrees from the other) to see what I can do with that.

Maybe get some of the speakers out of the plane? as in lift 'm up (presuming sinking 'm down would be harder to do Rolling Eyes ).

That is another possibility, Jan. There is space above the dome, and the dome material is permeable to sound. There are no electrical lines above the base of the dome, but for limited speaker arrangements, we could use extension cords. Those do not need to be these 1000 watt monsters, which are overkill for the room! All Ears I wanted to max out the grant budget. Shocked Putting either some of these, or some smaller speakers above the dome, is part of the second phase of this project. Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool
Page 7 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: