electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
bernat/rlainhart iPhone Jam at EM2009
Page 2 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:

Thanks! I am looking to design a game to replace Scrabble-to-MIDI, partly for Scrabble trademark reasons, and partly to design a game intended for music improvisation and performance. On one hand I'd like a game composed entirely of free software components that can be played on stock hardware (Scrabble-to-MIDI is entirely in Java and thus qualifies), but I'd like the option of having alternative, touch screen game boards. It seems like Lemur may be a way to go with this.

It would in fact be possible to create alternative, pluggable game GUIs on 1) Lemur, or on 2) iPhone, or 3) conventional display+mouse GUIs. I like that idea. That way no player would have to buy special hardware, but one could take advantage of it if available.

I am still waiting for a grant proposal that is due back for acceptance or rejection by November 30. If that comes through, Lemur is pretty high on the list at this point.

Take care.

Wow, this sounds really cool. I can't say I completely understand what you are describing but I look forward to hearing more!

distro: http://paperisbad.com/
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:

Wow, this sounds really cool. I can't say I completely understand what you are describing but I look forward to hearing more!

Scrabble-to-MIDI currently has two GUIs and one on the way. The attached screen dump shows them on a single display, but normally the board game in the left window runs on one laptop and the config params in the other GUI on another laptop. They communicate via a LAN. There is a sample recording at http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/em_ss09_20june2009_parson_132.mp3 -- I'm not set up to record the displayed game at the moment.

The board GUI allows players to play Scrabble. That process sends word lists for the board after every move to the MIDI generator. The generator translates Scrabble tiles to MIDI notes. It takes advantage of statistical regularities in letter distributions to generate musical structures. The generator generates words to arpeggiated MIDI based on parameters set by the second GUI, such as the scale, tonic, accent patterns, tempo, panning rate etc. of 1 to 16 MIDI channels. It then uses Java's MIDI library for sound generation.

The third window in the lower right is a placeholder for a third GUI that a grad student is building. It receives both note and corresponding Scrabble tile info (letter, location on board, etc.) at the time that the notes actually play. We will use this to help listeners visualize the translation process. Temporally it corresponds to the notes -- it lights up as they play -- and symbolically it corresponds to those parts of the Scrabble board in (musical) play at each moment.

I am interested in putting a novel game on the Lemur and/or iPhone, because I want a board that players can touch. The game-to-music mapper is all sliders, etc., so it could also likely go on a Lemur / iPhone. But, I do not want to constrain play to special devices. So I would construct the software so that it can also plug in conventional GUI components like the ones you see here. You could use a Lemur to play the game, or a conventional laptop GUI if that's all you have.

Should know about that grant soon. Planning for MIDI banjo as well as a bunch of Macs and audio cards for students to study this stuff. I'll soon know whether the national science foundation thinks that this is a good idea. See the attached newspaper article Cool

scrabbletomidi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  347.52 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

scrabbletomidi.jpg

NewsArticleScrabbleToMidi30Sept2009.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NewsArticleScrabbleToMidi30Sept2009.pdf
 Filesize:  207.6 KB
 Downloaded:  488 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I am looking to design a game to replace Scrabble-to-MIDI, partly for Scrabble trademark reasons, and partly to design a game intended for music improvisation and performance.

Got this link from Kassen today ... thought it might be of interest to you.

temporubato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: NLog Synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

beautiful performance using my little NLog Wink Sad, there is no video capture... Please more of this!

Best
Rolf
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Thanks! I am looking to design a game to replace Scrabble-to-MIDI, partly for Scrabble trademark reasons, and partly to design a game intended for music improvisation and performance.

Got this link from Kassen today ... thought it might be of interest to you.

That's pretty interesting, thanks! I had some thoughts on using line extraction from architectural photos to map regularities in architecture to regularities in musical structures, and this is a step along those lines. Don't know when I'd get to that.

I need to soak up influences and references for this stuff between now and summer. Between now and then this project will be exploratory enhancements to Scrabble-to-MIDI, and then summer should give me time to integrate a bunch of ideas into a new game. I want to stick with letters/words because of the structure that is there to be mined. I am considering some variant of a crossword game that also allows crossings in syllables, whole words and even phrases. That was I can integrate some work on performance-time restructuring of spoken word phrases (inspired originally by Ordinary Machinery), using samples or maybe speech synthesis for whole words. There are lots of levels to language that could be exploited.

laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: bernat/rlainhart iPhone Jam at EM2009 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rlainhart wrote:
Here's a version of the opening of the iPhone jam which took place Saturday night in the lounge at electro-music 2009.

astonishing!!!!!

Y'all did this with PHONES??

OK I'm officially Old.... I think of phones as something you dial to talk to people. (notice I said "DIAL"? Laughing )

I have a cell phone from 2004. (the Jurassic age.) All it does is make phone calls and that's all I want from it.

So how does this work? I missed the Iphone jam. Does it work like a mini-synth that is smaller than the Kaossilator? Can you hook it up to an amp? Where is the sound-generator? What hardware do you need to make it work in something larger than headphones?

Should I throw away my Yamaha MM6, Korg Electribe and Alesis Micron and get one of these instead?

Laura

rlainhart

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laura: if you want to pursue this, you actually might want to consider getting an iPad, which I think will be an important music platform and which is more useful as a musical instrument than the iPhone, mainly because of its faster processor and larger touchscreen. If you aren't interested in making phone calls, the iPad is the better platform.

To answer some of your questions: the sound sources here are nLog Synth, played by bernat, and Wivi Band, played by me. nLog is an analog synth simulator with a keyboard and touch-control functions, and a reasonable degree of programmability for making your own sounds. I like it a lot as a basic analog synth. WiviBand is a modeled woodwind and brass instrument that you play by blowing into the iPhone's microphone, which gives you breath control over the articulation of the modeled sound.

There are many other cool and useful music apps available for the iPhone/iPad platforms, including Bebot (which Howard Moscovitz used very effectively in his performance at City Skies last night), ambient generators like Droneo, Bloom, Air, and so on, and any number of glitchy beat-based performance apps, all of which can be very expressive and useful performance instruments.

iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads all have headphone outputs that you can use to take the signal out to an amp or a PA system, as well as external FX boxes like delays, loopers, distortion units, and so on.

Almost all iPhone music apps either generate the sound internally directly using the processor, like a standard softsynth, or playback existing samples and modify them, or some combination of those things. A few iPhone music apps are designed to process external input, but those are relatively rare.

I'm not at all sure that you should throw out anything you already have (although Electribe running on the iPad is very cool), but as I said, I think the iPad is going to be an important music peformance platform, and the apps available for it will only get better - more expressive, more powerful, and more musical.

http://www.vimeo.com/rlainhart
http://www.youtube.com/rlainhart
http://soundcloud.com/rlainhart
http://twitter.com/rlainhart
http://www.facebook.com/rlainhart
http://richardlainhart.bandcamp.com/
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rlainhart wrote:

iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads all have headphone outputs that you can use to take the signal out to an amp or a PA system,

I'm not at all sure that you should throw out anything you already have (although Electribe running on the iPad is very cool), but as I said, I think the iPad is going to be an important music peformance platform, and the apps available for it will only get better - more expressive, more powerful, and more musical.

Thanks for your reply! So does the little Iphone have a 1/4" jack like my keyboard does? I'm just curious...not about the apps themselves, but about how a tiny little thing that fits in your pocket can output sound to an amp and a PA system.

As for the iPad. Well I am still using a desktop computer, so I wonder if the ipad has, or will have, enough processing power to run something like Reason / Ableton, as well as the storage space for all those .wav files.

'cause if it did/does, the portability of a little book-sized thing as opposed to several big, heavy keyboards, makes it attractive!

You're saying the Ipad has outputs for cables, MIDI cables etc.?
My understanding of the iPad right now, it is just for email & internet & maybe some word / text files. Guess I should research it.

laura

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laura, you might find some useful info here : http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-176.html

Re. the output, iphone has 1/8" jack that will accept a standard 1/8" stereo jack, so you'll need a conversion cable from that to dual 1/4" jacks.

The iPad does not have MIDI and all, but at some point in time there might be a MIDI conversion gadget for the feature connector (there is such a thing for the iphone, altough its tied to on particular music program it seems).

Another option is to use OSC over WIFI with a remote PC translating OSC into MIDI, there are some OSC applications available.

Page 2 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: