electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Show your Benjolin / Zeitgeist
Page 2 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally closed this thing up... The use of plexiglass was inspired by Rob from a conversation about cases.

The sides are oak because some nice pieces of it were getting thrown out down the block from my apartment. (As they say, one man's trash is...) The plexi is attached with the brass corners on the top and brass screws through rubber feet on the bottom. The batteries / mounts aren't visible, but they're underneath the circuit in the front.

Its footprint is 12 x 6 inches, this was designed so it could be played on your lap with no table surface.

For the jacks I only put in 8. (Only 1 is connected,) I'll probably wire up some to rungler inputs and some to waveform outputs. I can't imagine needing all the ins / outs at once and I thought it'd make the box too heavy with the extra phono jacks.

zynthetix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cigar box zeitgeist
Subject description: woo!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reidbingham wrote:
Finally finished rehousing my Zeitgiest.

Reid, very cool cigar box for that project. Perfect size, nice switch placement, and it says "Imported / hand made" - quite true.
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: zynthetix Benjolin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a very smart looking instrument. I love the chrome jack in/outs.

I noticed two DIN in/outs. Were you planning to do a MIDI mod?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice looking case.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my, great work Travis ! I love it. I need to do more with mine to make it look for appealing.

Bill
OmbientMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: VERY nice!
Subject description: Nice!

Wow, very nice!

Where did you get those awesome brass corner protectors?

Listen to my weekly FM radio show called Music With Space on 103.3FM in NJ or on the web at www.wprb.com each week on Friday's fromt 11pm EST to 2am EST
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VERY nice!

OmbientMike wrote:
Wow, very nice!

Where did you get those awesome brass corner protectors?

I'd like to know where he got those input jacks.
I'd like to find some kind of input for wall-warts. So I can make an LED project that runs on 9 or 12V and run it to an AC adapter.

Mostly I wonder 'would anyone like a slightly used Zeitgeist". I really have no use for mine since it doesn't work right. I believe according to this thread there was a design flaw of some kind. I don't know enough about electronics to do any modifications.

I also need an actual working Delay pedal if anyone has one cheap they might like to sell (or trade for a Zeitgeist, LOL!).

Laura

OmbientMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
I finally closed this thing up... The use of plexiglass was inspired by Rob from a conversation about cases.

Hey, did you think about adding a mirror to to bottom? That would be pretty cool too!

Listen to my weekly FM radio show called Music With Space on 103.3FM in NJ or on the web at www.wprb.com each week on Friday's fromt 11pm EST to 2am EST
zynthetix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire,
The MIDI DIN's are actually for a power supply that Rob told me about. I put two DIN connectors on so I can daisy chain the power supply from the benjolin to another DIY synth with the same DIN connector as a power input (another benjolin, maybe?), using only a MIDI cable. I'll post the link to the power supply when I order it (next paycheck!)

Bill,
Thanks! As I recall though, your instruments / circuits have plenty of polish. You make very professional works, with compliments to the expert soldering as well Wink

Mike,
The corners are actually intended for furniture (like a trunk or cabinet). They're made of brass and I got them from this tiny hardware store on the corner near my apartment here in NYC. I went there on a whim, looking for some kind of corner or angle bracket to use on the plexiglass. They were probably sitting in the store for 20 years, from the look of the packaging... just a dumb luck kind of thing that they worked out, looked cool!

Laura,
The jacks are manufacturer / part number : Rean NYS2202 and I got them here. They're expensive, but necessary for anything with a thick panel. They're really hardcore too - you would want these for a 1/4 headphone output on a tank's stereo system.

Thank you all for the feedback, comments!
casperelectronics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Dual Benjolin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still working on my dual benjolin.
The red ball in the picture is a high power LED controlled using the benjolin's PWM output.
I've added few of little mods and will probably add some more.
-4 channel mixer
-patchbay with 4 attenuators
-fine tune for all 4 osc
-2 shift register clock input jacks and selection switch (int/ext)
-2 patchable LEDs (Not the high intensity ones... these are just mounted on the faceplate and used for looking at the different signals available in the patchbay).
-on board power supply.
-2 banana to 1/4" bridges for connecting to external gear like the clock in on my echo unit.. or my modular synth.
The mixer has 2 banana to 1/4" bridges as well if I feel like plugging other stuff into the mix.
This thing is a BEAST. Tons of fun to play with. I leave it on all day while i'm in the shop. The patchbay has really made all the difference. If you are still working on your benjolin, add a patchbay! and throw in a few attenuators! Mine are all configured as voltage dividers (right lug IN, Left lug GROUND, center lug OUT) and they work great. Being able to vary modulation is essential ( to me at least :p)

I've been playing with using different outputs to control high intensity LEDs. The PWM output is especially useful and can provide some nice fading effects.
I still need to set up a triple driver to power a tri color LED. Should be cool

DSC_0345.JPG
 Description:
dual benjolin
 Filesize:  314.06 KB
 Viewed:  730 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC_0345.JPG

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bravo once again! That looks wicked sick.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Truly artistic, expressive, and genuine! Well done...

Les

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I've been playing with using different outputs to control high intensity LEDs. The PWM output is especially useful and can provide some nice fading effects.
I still need to set up a triple driver to power a tri color LED. Should be cool

Nice work and I agree, having visual FX is a nice addition to have .... it's gets you "in the zone" when performing and gives something for the audience to look at to. Wink

Since I already had an external mixer, I to use multiple outputs from the Benjolin. Good idea to just build a DIY mixer Pete.

One thing that would be a nice ad on is to add chaotic amplitude shifts using a VCA and the rungler circuit. One can then add as much depth as required. Then you have all the elements. The ability to sweep frequency, filter cutoff, and the added amplitude modulation.

As Rob said, there are many ways to pimp this thing out !!!

Enjoying the builds guys !

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill,
Thanks! As I recall though, your instruments / circuits have plenty of polish. You make very professional works, with compliments to the expert soldering as well Wink

Hey, thanks Travis !!

A bit OT BUT: Hey, let me know of you ever want to hook up at maybe "the TANK" for Pulsewave concert. They have them all throughout the summer and are lots of fun !!

http://www.thetanknyc.org/

Chat later
Bill
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo, Zynth. That looks fantastic. wow!

Please plan on coming out for one of our Saturday evening streaming jams here at Chez Mosc.

(Not just Zynth, of course. The invite it open to everyone.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
casperelectronics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: tri color Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hooked up the 3 LED drivers so it now blinks, pulses and strobes in full color mixing glory. Here's a video.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice goin' Peter !!! Very cool !

Bill
hendrixworkshop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VERY nice!

[/quote]

Mostly I wonder 'would anyone like a slightly used Zeitgeist". I really have no use for mine since it doesn't work right. I believe according to this thread there was a design flaw of some kind. I don't know enough about electronics to do any modifications.
[/quote]

I'd buy your Zeitgeist. I'm willing to stumble through some trouble shooting. Shoot me a PM, and we'll talk.

Andy

I'd love to attend one of these workshops, but I live in Texas. A not oft traveled road for Rob, as far as I can tell.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My eurorack Benjolin.

71534813.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.47 KB
 Viewed:  62379 Time(s)

71534813.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
My eurorack Benjolin.

Oh Awesome !! A first I believe .. Nice work mono Wink

Like the big Knobs Very Happy

Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sue Weet !

Big knobs...Big kobs...Hooray for big knobs !
falafelbiels

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Here's my Benjolin, middle module top row. I'm afraid I'm very very slow with the artwork stuff. I added attenuators for the CV inputs and the batteries will never run out no more...
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats a very good looking synth
so what's the final module in the bottom corner going to be?
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: mine thus far Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

many mods.. the video description has them all.
Inspired by Pete Edwards build

IMG_6800.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  778.3 KB
 Viewed:  621 Time(s)

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  691.39 KB
 Viewed:  583 Time(s)

IMG_6804.JPG

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: forgot the vid Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com

Last edited by textual on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Jump to: