electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Motion Sensing Interface for Music
Page 3 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind. I found some helpful threads in the Csound Nabble forums. I'll get around to getting rid of zippering sometime soon. Sixense seems to be too busy with controller-game configuration and other features right now, though - there's been no response to my SOSC feedback. So position can be used for continuous control (at 100hz - confirmed by Sixense), but how the rotation variables work still isn't clear yet.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sixense has a redesigned website. This page lists six websites where one can buy the Hydra.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone on Sixense's forums suggested a way to figure out how the rotation variables work:

"Being just 3 values it shouldn't be hard to figure out, i imagine they're euler rotations, perhaps in radians or in degrees/360 or somthing like that. Use GPIE's 3d visualization thing to rotate some shape using those values, if the scale is correct (turning backwards turns the shape 180 degrees, turning sideways turns the shape 90 degrees etc) you're set, just switch the axis around till you get them to match what you want; otherwise, if the shape spins too much divide the value, if the shape spins just a tiny bit multiply it. I dunno what to do if it isn't euler rotation though."

Something else to get to when I get the chance unless Sixense finds the time to explain or someone else with a Hydra figures it out first.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's about time I actually post my current Csound code:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
sr=48000
ksmps=480
instr 1
iin OSCinit 7022
krx init 0
kry init 0
kof OSClisten iin,"/sixense/hydra/0/controller/left/position/x","f",krx
kof OSClisten iin,"/sixense/hydra/0/controller/left/position/y","f",kry
krx port krx,.02
kry port kry,.02
aud oscil 0dbfs/20,2^((abs(krx)+1300)/200),1
au2 oscil 0dbfs/20,2^((abs(kry)+1300)/200),1
out aud
out au2
endin
</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f 1 0 16384 10 1
i 1 0 999
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

While I'm still trying to get Sixense to EXPLAIN THE FREAKIN' ROTATION VARIABLES, the Hydra can control multiple notes with position variables with this script. It could easily control more than two, or have some variables control amplitude instead of pitch, but two notes at once is certainly enough to test one's skills. Smile Replace 1300 with a bigger number to shift notes higher, so that the lower frequencies become audible at a shorter distance from the base. Replace 200 with a bigger number to spread out the notes more.

About the rotation variables again, I can't seem to get GlovePIE (3.0 - the current version's documentation says this is the latest one with OSC support that isn't broken, but I haven't tested 4.3...) to read in variables from SOSC.

I also still can't get rid of zippering without creating lag - need, better, opcode, than, port; or something extra. Confused
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, my motivation is almost zero right now. I just started college, and I don't feel like I'll make much progress with my limited understanding of Csound (and I'm too stubborn to try an environment with less features!). However, I've contacted as many Continuum players as I could to see if any would be interested in this project. So far, only a few have responded but understandably are too content with their instrument to want to tinker with the Hydra. Is anyone here interested in this project? Come on lurkers!
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sixense has finally admitted that it won't be working in its OSC program for a while. I've asked for the source code and am now waiting... Meanwhile, I might try to learn Supercollider or Chuck to see if Csound's non-real-time nature is causing the lag/zippering issues.

Again, come on, lurkers!
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally figured out why I had zippering that couldn't be removed without creating lag. Sixense said the OSC program works at 100Hz, but it's actually 30Hz. While I wait to find out why it's so limited and perhaps get the source code, it looks like the SDK is the only way. Time to make my own OSC program.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm experimenting with the SDK now! Won't be long until I figure out the frequency at which we can actually currently use this for musical control.

EDIT: Yay, 250 Hz! But now I'm trying to find a c++ osc library for Windows that isn't extremely complicated, outdated, or unable to compile... (any suggestions?)

EDIT 2: Found one. Took some extreme googling to fix.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Triple yay - I'm getting a lot done, Christmas break will leave me a lot of time, and Csound gives smooth (still a tad laggy) pitch shifts no matter how fast I go - no port required! The next step is to send all controller data, not just position, and to see if the SDK's built-in Euler angle calculator is what I want for rotation.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, the Hydra curently has 99 USD holiday pricing and "additional discount available for qualified developers." Remember that it comes with Portal 2. Does anyone else here have this yet or plan to now?
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again, I haven't done anything for a while, but since someone on another forum has asked me for some code I've written, I'll post that here soon too.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a zip. I don't consider this finished, mostly because the right controller is omitted and rotation variables are passed directly from the SDK, but also because I can't find any combination of including and linking that allows me to use Derivatives.hpp without errors.

EDIT: using Code::Blocks w/ MinGW

OSC.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  OSC.zip
 Filesize:  2.73 MB
 Downloaded:  712 Time(s)

Last edited by Mr. Mormon on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, forgot to include glfw.h.

EDIT: With the current code, the reason why GLFW is used is because C/C++'s standard timing libraries have low resolution. But it's all set up if someone wants to add a gui like Sixense's OSC program has.

glfw.h
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  glfw.h
 Filesize:  19.3 KB
 Downloaded:  648 Time(s)

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still way too preoccupied with other things. Rolling Eyes Anyway, here's a more complete Windows OSC program (and source, dll's, etc.). Physical data for both left and right controllers is accessible as UDP packets over port 7022, and I included a readme (and glfw.h) this time.

Fun fact one: The Hydra is quite usable outside of a six-foot radius.

Fun fact two: LINUX AND MAC SDKS ARE AVAILABLE!

Sixense recently released them. Those and the Windows SDK are all free. I hope more people might get interested in using the Hydra for musical control (or anything else that OSC makes easy) now. I forget that one university professor I contacted last year who said a music department wasn't interested in using it for research because of the lack of Mac support... From Berkeley or something.

OSCl+r.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  OSCl+r.zip
 Filesize:  2.74 MB
 Downloaded:  643 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon,

Two questions:

1. Are you familiar with OSCulator (and will it work with the Hydra)?

2. Why don't you participate in other areas of our forum?

Les

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Inventor. Long time no see.

1. No, I wasn't. Looking at it, Hydra support would have to be specifically programmed into Osculator, which isn't needed anyway.

2. I'm not planning on participating unless something has to do with (a) the Hydra, or (b) the Continuum Fingerboard. Feel free to let me know if either of these topics pop up. Wink
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For anyone interested in figuring out the center, axes, etc. of the controller, I just found this pic of the Hydra's circuitry.

HydraCirc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.38 KB
 Viewed:  634 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HydraCirc.jpg

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I created a GitHub project at https://github.com/MrMormon/hydra-osc for the OSC program.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon wrote:
2. I'm not planning on participating unless something has to do with (a) the Hydra, or (b) the Continuum Fingerboard. Feel free to let me know if either of these topics pop up. Wink

What is the reason that you would reject the wealth of knowledge and community offered by our membership in exchange for the single-minded pursuit of a topic so esoteric that nobody else seems motivated to post about it?

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Confrontation, I see.

Quote:
reject the wealth of knowledge and community offered by our membership

I don't see what the community is missing by my, uh, joining. Smile
Quote:
single-minded pursuit

Are you insulting me? Confused
Quote:
so esoteric

Where else am I supposed to go?
Quote:
nobody else seems motivated to post about it?

True, but look at the views. I'm sure someone's life didn't get worse by reading about this.

I'm not upset, but what are you implying I should be doing when I don't have your interests?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mr. Mormon and please accept my appologies for my tone, as I was indeed a bit annoyed. I did not mean to insult you, but I may have done so slightly by accident. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're sort of disrespecting our community by rejecting all that we have to offer, including friendship, and just going on and on and on about something that nobody seems to be very involved with.

What I would suggest that you consider doing is browsing our hierarchy of subforums a bit and look for areas of interest to you and possibly get involved a little. You might find that if you did that, then you would attract more people to your topic of interest and get something out of your involvement.

As it stands, you're actually the one being a bit rude by stating that you have no interest in us, but you want to come in here and condescendingly inform us of your amazing exploits with the game controller. Again, you can see I'm a tad irritated by this but hey it's all good anyway. We are here to get along and when we rub each other the wrong way, open communication is the best way to resolve the issues.

I invite you to get involved.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and p.s. don't get excited about the views. That statistic is mostly from the many bots that crawl the web downloading everything they can get their hands on. There really isn't that big of a following here.

Les

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
please accept my apologies for my tone

No prob. Hopefully we can work this out.
Quote:
you're sort of disrespecting our community by rejecting all that we have to offer, including friendship, and just going on and on and on about something that nobody seems to be very involved with

Again, narrow interest is a Bad Thing (tm)? Why should anyone think I'm rejecting anything; I'm not condescendingly trolling other threads to tell them their gear isn't good enough. And what do you mean by friendship? People, not community, can be friends. Are you hoping I'll browse your topics or something, Inventor?
Quote:
look for areas of interest [...] and possibly get involved a little

Again, you seem to be trying to tell me what my interests are. Thanks for the invitation, but sorry.
Quote:
if you did that, then you would attract more people to your topic of interest

If people won't get interested in a topic unless they can get social neurotransmitters going, then that topic deserves to die. Unless you're saying involvement equals advertising?
Quote:
you're actually the one being a bit rude by stating that you have no interest in us

I responded to you, who basically wondered why I don't have your interests, and I told you my interests. I'm not the one attacking, and I don't think you wrote the unwritten rules.

Maybe this would be better discussed in PMs? Frankly, this discussion of online sociological obligations is fun, but...

Last edited by Mr. Mormon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oh, and p.s. don't get excited about the views. That statistic is mostly from the many bots that crawl the web

Interesting. Why do you think this thread has 1.5 times the views of the sticky and ten times that of most other threads, though?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go easy Les. Your a well liked member of the community with a broad range of interests. But I find your criticism here unfounded.

I for one read the posts in this thread.

As I recall, motion controlled music is one of your special areas of interest isn't it?
Page 3 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: