electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why not, Apple?
Page 3 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ethernet printer? That's a different thing altogether! Very Happy Laughing

No, it's cheap HP printers that I don't like (mine was CRAP!! Laughing Twisted Evil ). The last one printed really well, but the carts were £60 each! That's half the price of the actual printer!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Ethernet printer? That's a different thing altogether! Very Happy Laughing

No, it's cheap HP printers that I don't like (mine was CRAP!! Laughing Twisted Evil ). The last one printed really well, but the carts were £60 each! That's half the price of the actual printer!

Right.. FYI, there is a ring in Hell for owners of cheap ink printers.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HP1610

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked ...Tom

YAFYI ( yet another for your information )

Your below-your-waist-down-there-post-sig-thingie has obviously been exposed to some shrinkage during the last 24 hours. The achtung is still visible though..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Shocked ...Tom

Your below-your-waist-down-there-post-sig-thingie has obviously been exposed to some shrinkage during the last 24 hours. The achtung is still visible though..

I think you might need to reboot your iPad Laughing

I've had such a laugh coming back here days later and finding this huge rant by the other grumpy old men on E-M.

What I don't get is how come Quicktime is so shite. If I want to view anything at all, I use VLC. It has never let me down. What else can I complain about? Laughing Oh yes... the Finder icon! You've got to be kidding right?

My kids tell me I need to use a PC sometime and quit complaining. But hey, I grew up believing we'd be in flying cars and living on Mars by the year 2000. It's going to take more than an iPad to impress me. I feel really let down! It's like being given a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg for xmas... and when you open it, it's a f#cking cardboard jigsaw puzzle... with one of the pieces missing!

F#ck me! It's an average World, isn't it Rolling Eyes ?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
the Finder icon! You've got to be kidding right?

The Icon? that whole finder thing is a bad joke Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:

I've had such a laugh coming back here days later and finding this huge rant by the other grumpy old men on E-M.

Shocked

I bet Noam Chomsky rates higher on the "grumpy scale".

Shocked

I hope..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
-minus-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noam Chomsky? ...oh yeah, right... him. Yeah love him! Got all of his albums here somewhere! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Loved the Fawlty Towers video too! hahaha! Shame it wouldn't play on my Mac. Laughing

We need to cull a few of these smilies here. There's just too many useless ones. Apple
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I love the iPad. I use it more than any other computer. As an instrument, it is really wonderful. Superb.

I can easily put up with Apple's quirky corporate behavior as long as the apps keep coming. I'm thinking of getting a second iPad, for live performances; one foe each hand!

As for Flash, I agree with DES. Like Steve Colbert said: "I've gotta get the new iPad 2. It won't run Flash twice as fast as the old one.". Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Howard, but I think we have already established that I am difficult! Laughing

I'll tell you what my biggest gripe is: my main reason for wanting it is to use it as a touch screen for my own creations, more than all the apps that are around. No doubt I'll get a few but I want a Lemur, really! Incidentally there are rumours of a Lemur app for the iPad...

Anyway, for transmitting OSC messages I cannot connect directly to the iPad through USB but am forced to use wifi... and it is just not reliable enough. Maybe I will be proven wrong but I just don't trust wifi to carry OSC messages safely, espcially not single toggle messages and the like. I have yet to actually try this on a real life iPad though.

So there you have it... As I said though, I am in no rush to get anything at all. I'm biding my time, complaining a bit and putting some more logs on the fire. Smile

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As long as the wifi network works fine for ordinary tcp/ip traffic and you aren´t hogging it with a high number of clients and silly amounts of traffic then it should work just fine. Midi over wifi and then to the studio mac connected by ethernet cable to the main switch works perfectly for me here. No problems at all. OSC should work just as well.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, ok that's good news.

I have been using a reserved network, not connected to the internet with my iPod touch, right next to the wifi point, and still losing data. I have never had any problems whatsoever with that particular wifi router. I'm sure the iPad should be better, or at least the iPad2, since I seem to recall some problems with the first one...?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the iPad 1. No problems here.
I´have also brilliant results with midi over cabled ethernet to and from various instances of Logic and software instruments on various macs.

BTW, re any IOS device.. you must take some precautions like turning off notifications and turn off checking mail and such. And there are related issues with having a device on a network that does not have a route out. In that case you must make sure that the device won´t have anything running that is trying to find the Net. This is quite manageable.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes, I remember turing off Push Notifications. But thanks for the reminder. I will go into this again and make absolutely sure that I really make sure that I did it this time!

Some times I do qualify for Tech Heads Do The Darnest Things. rabbit

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..and checking mail.. ...and location services

Exclamation I Don´t have any experience with the iPod Touch and the iPhone for midi and such. I don´t use these for music.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Copy that. In fact, location services is likely to have been on...

I will give it an other go soon.

Thanks for the headsup! Smile

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Keep in mind that I´ve only run Midi.

Ethernet, which is basically what goes on over wifi as well, does have a more than decent bandwidth these days so embedded protocols like midi should have no problem running fairly transparently. OSC can´t be more difficult than midi.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
matrix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lemur for iOS is out:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/12/liine-lemur-formerly-jazzmutant-now.html

On a related note I've been tracking all iPad editors for synths via this label:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/search/label/iPad%20Editors

Quite a few are from iConnectMIDI but you'll find others in there as well. Just be sure to click on the Older Posts link at the bottom of the page to get to others. I created an 80 page TouchOSC editor for the Yamaha FS1R, one for the M-Audio Venom, and one for the Rhodes Chroma amongst others. You'll find templates for MIDI Touch as well.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome stuff Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Shocked ...Tom

JA! MEINE KOMPUTER COTTONPICKEN ZAFARI FONTFILEZYSTEM IST KARPUTTEN! Laughing

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apple obviously doesn't want anyone using iStuff for making applications - you do it in XCode on a Mac/PC, or not at all. This, for me as a programmer, is frustrating, but I understand where they're coming from - they want to make sure that the user experience (bingo!) isn't broken by an app shared by some klutz who just found iGCC, or that the device starts crashing because of the same.

I personally think this is a shame, because the iPad would be brilliant for writing little programs. Also, I've long held the belief that if we could spread the knowledge of programming, the world would become a better place.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intermission..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Talking of 'Hell' I did this the night before last with my brother (not the printer!! Laughing ), messing about on an iPad with the Djay app....

The Incredible Monged Band (Hell Bard Mix) pt-2 by Tom TM

Wout, get a load of this! Laughing

-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing v-un-v! I like that track a lot! I used to spend $36 per CD a decade ago to hear aural caviar such as that.

"DeEr SaNTa. CaN Yoo PLEez GiVE me A iPad anD ThE iNurSewitHwouND apP LikE tOM Haz? ThaNKs"
Page 3 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: