electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 12 of 16 [383 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
egasimus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
bubzy wrote:
fonik wrote:
65mph? wow!

ah, the magic of fooling sensors Very Happy

But you didn't get very far Laughing

i fell off :/

hahaha you win Laughing
Boogdish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The sound quality from my camera is TERRIBLE, but this module only does control signals.

This is a prototype I finished yesterday, it's a voltage to rhythm converter. It does an ADC on an input voltage and uses the binary result as an 8 beat pattern. 8 different outputs can each correspond to a different sample, or it can be put in parallel mode and each output corresponds to a certain bit of the same sample. It can output triggers or gates, has a built in clock or can run off an external clock. I've had a lot of fun with it over the last couple of days!
RingMad

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Clockbox... not really a soundbox, this is more of a small utility device for making breadboarding Lunetta test circuits simpler. I thought it was kindof pretty, so I post it here.

I got tired of building power sections and clock oscillators over and over, so I built this little box that gives me a regulated and filtered 9V and four square wave clocks. Each oscillator has 3 different range capacitors, so the box can produce frequencies ranging from about 0.01 Hz to 6300 Hz overall. With some alligator clips and/or wires into the salvaged speaker terminals, I can plug it into my breadboard and away I go!

Despite careful planning of some stuff, I didn't realize that all this stuff in such a small box would barely fit... in fact, I had to glue the thing shut... hopefully I'll never have to get in there to fix anything! Oh well, each build is a learning experience....

James.

RingMad-Clockbox-angle-800.jpg
 Description:
The Clockbox
 Filesize:  186.43 KB
 Viewed:  74 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

RingMad-Clockbox-angle-800.jpg

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. I like the salvaged speaker connectors.
davebr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: 2012 Build Pictures
Subject description: Modularsynthesis.com
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built a half a dozen modules including:
5U E340 Cloud Generator
5U E350 Morphing Terrarium
Threeler Third Order VCF
Buchla Pulser - Crossfader - Timbre Generator
Tap Tempo LFO
XY CV controlled Laser
Links to the various projects are at the Quick Links at http://modularsynthesis.com/

Dave

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
bubzy

Audio files: 62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wowzers, whats that laser thing?
davebr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
wowzers, whats that laser thing?

http://modularsynthesis.com/modules/DJB-laser/laser.htm
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad, your box building skills are improving! Great little utility box you got there, not unlike my emSynth clock modules in purpose though totally different in form. And hey, diversity is our strength, right? Rock on RingMad!!!

Les

PHOBoS

Audio files: 351

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Very nice. I like the salvaged speaker connectors.

yeah that's a neat idea. I've made some simple oscillators for testing a while back, but it's just on a piece
of perf with trimpots and I think I have some of those speaker connectors somewhere Laughing
(allthough I also am still thinking about a complete 'workstation')

earlier this year I finished 2 more synth cases and painted all of them, so here's a photo of those. Cool

DIYsynth4_S.jpg
 Description:
DIY synths
 Filesize:  99.34 KB
 Viewed:  164 Time(s)

DIYsynth4_S.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: WogglebugXL Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..,and yesterday I finished my WogglebugXL Very Happy It's based on Richard Brewster's version, with some extra in- & outputs
and adjusted to -5/+5V levels, except for the clk rate CV, which is now buggin me a bit (you get it 'buggin' , sorry that was really bad)
so i'll probably change that sometime.

wogglebugXL - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.83 KB
 Viewed:  141 Time(s)

wogglebugXL - 01.jpg

wogglebugXL - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.22 KB
 Viewed:  130 Time(s)

wogglebugXL - 02.jpg

wogglebugXL - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63 KB
 Viewed:  136 Time(s)

wogglebugXL - 03.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wmonk

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, lots of cool projects out here! Does give me some feelin to start again myself, after a few months.

Your boxes look amazing Phobos! Very Happy

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing work Phobos!
Boogdish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks rad, Phobos. I like the blue transformer.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a look at the second emSynth test circuit that I have built. It has three oscillators in the background and two ringmods in the foreground, plust a stereo out at left. See www.emsynth.com for details.

Les

Three Osc Ringmod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.23 KB
 Viewed:  130 Time(s)

Three Osc Ringmod.jpg

RingMad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks folks. Yeah, the speaker connectors... I was originally going to use bolts, like I've done on 2 other boxes, but it would have forced me to use alligator clips only. And then I realized that hardware already existed for this situation, and would allow using gators or wires. To the salvage box!

I'm happy about the dark metallic green-blue paint job, although it was really hard to photograph accurately.

PHoBos: You're a monster! So prolific with the great-looking boxes!

davebr: That laser thing looks amazing!

Les: Rock on! I don't know how you do it, soldering that tiny stuff! Do you use one of those magnifying lamps? At my age, I'm having trouble seeing close now.

James.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James, I am one of those strongly nearsighted people (20/400 vision) that is somewhat blessed or fortunate in that without glasses I see tiny objects with great clarity - if they are positioned about 4" to 12" from my eyes.

Naturally, soldering without safety glasses is a concern so I plan to get some type of clear or slightly magnifying glasses if only for safety's sake.

And the tiny parts are not that amazingly tiny, I was soldering 0805 and SOIC parts in the late '80s and early `90s when I was working. The tiniest thing I ever soldered was an 8-bump 555 flip chip, to which I soldered a wire to one corner pin. At this stage in life, though, I don't think I'd feel safe soldering anything smaller than 0805 discretes and SOIC chips.

But you know what? those modules really save a LOT of space!I I didn't realize that 50% to 75% space savings depending on the board adds up to SO MUCH circuit density! Plus they are so easy to wire up. We'll, I should stop this for being accused of selling all the time, but hey, I'm proud of my little creations.

See ya round the forum,

Les

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: plastic scratchtastic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk wrote:
Your boxes look amazing Phobos! Very Happy

Cynosure wrote:
Amazing work Phobos!

Boogdish wrote:
That looks rad, Phobos. I like the blue transformer.

RingMad wrote:
PHoBos: You're a monster! So prolific with the great-looking boxes!

thanks

here's something I build today (ok i started yesterday evening), a credit card scratch machine
made from an old portable cassetteplayer. I had seen this idea a couple times before before but
decided to give it a try after seeing it done again in this this video yesterday.

I rewired the motor driver to control the LED, so that it lights up dim when you turn it on, and shines brighter
when you move the card.

not sure yet if I will paint/stain it or maybe add some simple markings.

plasticscratchtastic-01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.45 KB
 Viewed:  127 Time(s)

plasticscratchtastic-01.jpg

plasticscratchtastic-02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.01 KB
 Viewed:  134 Time(s)

plasticscratchtastic-02.jpg

plasticscratchtastic-03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.06 KB
 Viewed:  127 Time(s)

plasticscratchtastic-03.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 148
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skimming Shocked Cool
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
skimming Shocked Cool

LOL,. it would be nice if they used that for a musical purpose, imagine a couple of ATM machine's broadcasted live Wink

LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the story so far; Suitcase Synth and the Behemoth. Just a few more modules to go...

RICH0317.jpg
 Description:
LEKTROID STUDIO
 Filesize:  2.16 MB
 Viewed:  136 Time(s)

RICH0317.jpg

ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
earlier this year I finished 2 more synth cases and painted all of them, so here's a photo of those.

I love these. I am into the idea of panels/plates of synth stuff- the Serge type of idea. Bundle a few items, use mid sized (ie not one slot per VCO or a complete 19") panels and Robert is your father's brother. I took some photos of mine but I realised I shouldnt be let lose with a jigsaw.........

Perhaps a thread could be what do you put in a panel? I am banana based so mixing is a little different. How about 3 filters and a couple of mixers- one for mods and one for audio (OK 3 mixers might work better but bananas can get round this). Or a panel of ENV and LFOs with a matrix mixer?

ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Here's the story so far; Suitcase Synth and the Behemoth. Just a few more modules to go...

Just a few modules, eh? what are the chances of that???

Brilliant looking set up. We both use a 101 as a controller keyboard/simple synth. Tidy looking studio. I find a tidy studio really helps my head with creativity, trouble is I dont have one- tidy studio that is, I have a head.

Judging by your great music the Behemoth is being put to good use. Thanks for sharing, a continuing inspiration.

ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry if I sound like a bit of a tw@t saying "great for you doing this, BUT I have.....". It just came out a bit wrong
dougseidel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a 3x3 matrix mixer. with zebrawood knobs, which i thought came out cool.

3x3 mixer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  609.28 KB
 Viewed:  125 Time(s)

3x3 mixer.jpg

http://dougseidel/tumblr.com
loydb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the woodwork! How did you attach those wooden knobs to the pot shafts? I've thought about making glass knobs for a build, but cannot think of a secure way to attach them other than glue, which would definitely make it hard to maintain...
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 12 of 16 [383 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: