electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2013 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Octomod Ho! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally finished this up so I could get some plastic case work to brush up before attacking my x0xb0x case...

IMAG1031.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  477 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  459 Time(s)

IMAG1029.jpg

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After an insane amount of work, I finally finished my "Pulse Witch 23" box. It has an infinity mirror in it!

For more details on the circuit and its workings, check out this thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-55283.html .

A demo video can be seen here: http://youtu.be/Tdb6NEecAUU

-- James.

PulseWitch23-finalbox800.jpg
 Description:
PULSE WITCH 23
 Filesize:  249.29 KB
 Viewed:  451 Time(s)

PulseWitch23-finalbox800.jpg

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi elmegil

What does your octamod box do ?

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi James , nice chamber of led's , looks like you could get your arm in up to the shoulder Smile , nice sounds on the vid.

Dave.
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
Hi elmegil

Dave.

The Octomod is a USB -> 8xCV unit.

https://www.tindie.com/products/pucktronix/usb-octomod-1/?pt=directsearch

It's made to be driven by way of OSC/PureData/Max to give 8 general purpose CV outputs.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
After the TTSH got postponed, I decided to start this thing. It's been a while - I took the summer off while job and financial insecurity took its toll.

This is either the J3RK Dual Mirror Core VCO or the Stroh Modular Dual Complex VCO. I'm not really sure which. Originally the thread was labeled as per the former, but as things progressed the name morphed to the latter. Either way, it's a really cool collection of vcos and utility modules, with which you can build the complex vco of your choice!

I tried out Front Panel Express's new standoff utility thing, and it worked well, mostly - I had one break off soon after transporting it from my heated studio area to my unheated garage where the soldering happens. No problem though - a little JB Weld and we're back in business.

sduck

I am very impressed with this build. This Dual VCO looks extremely versatile to ! Lots of luck with this one. Cool Too bad about the standoff issue but looks like you had the quick fix at hand. I have seen the new versions of FPE software with added manufacturing options. Will have to check these out Very Happy

Bill
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Skrog Productions wrote:
Hi elmegil

Dave.

The Octomod is a USB -> 8xCV unit.

https://www.tindie.com/products/pucktronix/usb-octomod-1/?pt=directsearch

It's made to be driven by way of OSC/PureData/Max to give 8 general purpose CV outputs.

Ah , that's great , i can imagine some alternative cv's going to filters & wave shapers , great Smile
bearblock

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Pressure Pad Array Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been experimenting with these new Interlink force sensing resistors. Ended up with this box which contains 8 of them, each with independent pressure CV outs.

There's also some CMOS logic for selecting the highest pressure, or the most recently touched sensor, complete with a switch to choose 1x8 or 2x4 (shown) operation. The outputs on the far left and right give you the pressure CV of the selected sensor, as well as stored voltages from the two rows of pots, and triggers/gates controlled by the switches (this last feature was kind of a freebie due to how it all works inside). The pots in the bottom corners control some glide circuits I added because why not.

Runs off a 9V DC adapter. Homemade enclosure out of brass, iroko & spraypaint.

20131203_163356.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.88 MB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

20131203_163356.jpg

Zodiak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Eurorack MFOS SoundLab (72h) with some extras, like inverted outputs on LFO and AR, triangle outputs for both VCOs and exponential voltage control for VCF and VCA.
The skirts round the switches are there because I drilled the wrong sized holes. They are made from some screw hole covers I had left over from a flat pack bookcase.
The Stig sticker is not staying, and the sellotape on the corners is just there to protect them while I work on it.
The yellow blobs are two transistors and a tempco, glued together and coated with heat sink compound, then encased in heat shrink sleeving. This has given an improvement over having them separately, but in practice the de-tune is still noticeable as my room warms up.
Some of the pots are damaged and I am going to replace the lot. I think it was because I was working on it face down and the shafts have been pushed it, so I have ordered a different type to replace it them.

elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice work.

I once had tracking issues with a SLMS and contacted Ray about it, and he basically said you're lucky to get much of anything. Turns out I was able to find a subtle error later that made my problem much less, but I never did a temp test, and I wouldn't be surprised if it still drifted some.
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally finished my Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser with THAT 300 chips (using self made converter sockets):

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

And a detail shot of the THAT 300s (can't find the solo pics of the converter sockets on my hard drive):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zodiak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I once had tracking issues with a SLMS and contacted Ray about it, and he basically said you're lucky to get much of anything.
I am starting to agree and although that's not a major issue it is disappointing. I wanted to use it as a sequencer voice, but it still drifts and doesn't track too well, so I have pretty much given up on that idea and will have to build a couple of VCO modules.
All is not lost though, I had originally planned to build one of Rays sawtooth to triangle circuits as an external module, but as they are so simple I decided to build one onto each VCO and I am glad that I did, because now I can use them a VCLFOs.
I haven't built that bit yet, and I am going to have to modify it to make it DC coupled, and that will required a bit of fiddling, but it shouldn't be that difficult.
And just to be a heretic, I use a PIC to control my sequencer... <GASPS> and that has a spare timer output which is just begging to be used as a sound source and I think that is going to be my solution there. Yes I know its only square out, but put it through 4 stages of dividing and sum them together with the right resistors and it can produce a barely passable triangle and ramp if you squint. Wink

dougseidel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recent Zeitgeist and double Benjolin (case from old lab ph meter)

Z+2B.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.42 MB
 Viewed:  265 Time(s)

Z+2B.png

sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my version of the Thonk Music Thing Modular Spring Reverb in dualie form. Sounds great!

Thonk Music Thing Dual Spring Reverb front by sduck409, on Flickr

Thonk Music Thing Dual Spring Reverb profile by sduck409, on Flickr

Thonk Music Thing Dual Spring Reverb back by sduck409, on Flickr
Zodiak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the front panel sduck, how did you make it?
sduck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's from Front Panel Express in Seattle.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow , nice reverbs Steve , does the black boxes contain the long springs ? Wink

very nice build.

Dave.
sduck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The black boxes are the digital pt2399 based spring emulators - the brick selection on the switches - the springs are mounted in my cabinet, and connect through those minijacks hanging out in the back.
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished, started some time ago, maybe 2012 Very Happy

11471339675_91852bdebd_o.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

11471339675_91852bdebd_o.jpg

synchroma

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally, my punk modular synth has taken shape. After a long time of getting the hang of etching boards and making stuff, I actually have a working synth! I think I'd like to get hold of a more iconic case from some broken bit of kit for the box on the right (Thomas Henry VCO1 and VCA from the CA3080 book) but there's more to go in the old Roland case which currently has a Thomas Henry LM-VCO, SSM2044 filter, 2x Yusynth EGs and a couple of sine shapers with overdrive knobs. Smile

Setup_16-12-2013.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.68 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)

Setup_16-12-2013.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: the Moon Base Xplorer
Subject description: my last finished build for 2013
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the Moon Base Xplorer finished just before the end of the year Laughing

more info here
(I will upload more pics and demo's next year Cool )

Moon Base Xplorer - 11.jpg
 Description:
the Moon Base Xplorer
 Filesize:  140.05 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorer - 11.jpg

Moon Base Xplorer - 12.jpg
 Description:
the Moon Base Xplorer
 Filesize:  122.1 KB
 Viewed:  259 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorer - 12.jpg

Moon Base Xplorer - 13.jpg
 Description:
the Moon Base Xplorer
 Filesize:  94.55 KB
 Viewed:  245 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorer - 13.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's one fokking hell of a lovely looking game machinery thing PHOBos Cool

erm .. I mean .. heard some samples of it too I guess lately on you stream?

anyways, looks great!

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks elmegil, jan. Very Happy
I did get some inspiration from how an arcade game looks, and yes you did hear it on my stream.
I will be posting parts of that in the next few days. (just uploaded something here)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's sharp looking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: