electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Building a Yusynth modular!
Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
yusynth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

superb !
sebsongs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
superb !

Thank you very much mr Usson!
dave the butcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gorgeous !!!

wave wave wave wave
drakfluga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there! Great looking build! I read through the thread and noticed you're in Sweden so I thought I'd say hello. I'm in Gothenburg myself, started building a Yusynth-based modular a few years ago. I shelved the project for a while due to lack of time (and funds) but now I'm up and running again, been sourcing components like crazy for the past month or so. I'm currently sitting with a finished Steiner VCF (old version), ADSR and a half-finished VCO, LFO1 and LFO2. Got about 10 more modules in the pipe I'm going to be working on during the winter, as well as the cabinet and power supply.
I've also started experimenting with an Arduino and DAC-based MIDI-CV-solution of my own design.
Anyway, great looking build, and inspiring to see a fellow Swede hooked on Yves' designs! Wink
drakfluga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, I have to ask, your panel design... What type of adhesive paper are you using? Can you elaborate on your process a bit?

I'm thinking of going the same route, it seems to be the easiest way as it will be pretty cheap and easy to replace and update panels if you want to add mods to modules or change the width etc.

I had originally planned on ordering professional panels but the cost skyrocketed fairly quickly and honestly it'd be pretty neat to have my own panel design anyway. Wink
sebsongs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drakfluga wrote:
Hey there! Great looking build! I read through the thread and noticed you're in Sweden so I thought I'd say hello. I'm in Gothenburg myself, started building a Yusynth-based modular a few years ago. I shelved the project for a while due to lack of time (and funds) but now I'm up and running again, been sourcing components like crazy for the past month or so. I'm currently sitting with a finished Steiner VCF (old version), ADSR and a half-finished VCO, LFO1 and LFO2. Got about 10 more modules in the pipe I'm going to be working on during the winter, as well as the cabinet and power supply.
I've also started experimenting with an Arduino and DAC-based MIDI-CV-solution of my own design.
Anyway, great looking build, and inspiring to see a fellow Swede hooked on Yves' designs! Wink

By the way, I have to ask, your panel design... What type of adhesive paper are you using? Can you elaborate on your process a bit?

I'm thinking of going the same route, it seems to be the easiest way as it will be pretty cheap and easy to replace and update panels if you want to add mods to modules or change the width etc.

I had originally planned on ordering professional panels but the cost skyrocketed fairly quickly and honestly it'd be pretty neat to have my own panel design anyway. Wink

A fellow synth building swede! Nice to hear from you!
Sounds like you got quite a project going, very much like me.
My modular has not had any new modules built in a while because I haven't been able to decide wether I'm going to keep my panel designs or go for new and better ones. I took on the challenge to learning how to silk screen, and the results so far has been quite pleasing. It is a slow process but very pleasing when it comes out good.

To answer your question: to make my current panels I have printed my panel design onto adhesive A4 paper, I use HERMA Premium No. 5065.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I got it at akademibokhandeln in my town.

I print two versions of my panel design: one that is the way I want it (in my case white graphics on black background) and one that is inverted. The inverted one I stick to my aluminum panel to use as a drill template. If you put small crosses in the center of every drill point in your design it then gets very easy to align the drilled holes with the front panel sticker.

I then cover the printed sticker (not the drill template, the one you're using for the actual panel) with an adhesive transparent plastic, the one you cover books with also. I managed to find a matte plastic, so the panels doesn't act as a mirror all the time. The print then becomes sealed, the blacks get darker and it can withstand more fluids and scratching. Smile

Before I stick it to the panel I use hole punches to cut out all the holes for the jack sockets and pots.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
You cannot drill trough the paper and plastic and get away with clean edges around the holes. The only way to get it nice and clean is to punch out the holes.

Then I drill the holes in my aluminum panel using the inverted drill template I printed out before. And lastly I stick the adhesive sticker to the aluminum panel and cut along the edges of the panel with a sharpie or razor blade to get a nice straight edge.

The trickiest part is to align the aluminum panel with the sticker. My trick is to tape the sticker to a window (in daylight) with the adhesive side away from the window. Then it is easy to align the holes in the sticker with the holes in the aluminum panel.

Another way to make the adhesive paper durable is to coat it with a couple of thin coats of clearcoat, preferably a matte one. I have done this and it comes out very good, but the adhesive plastic is as a faster method and it does not stink. Smile

So you are making arduino-projects also? I am deep in the process of developing a arduino sequencer with some nice features. I will be posting a thread on that one when I have some results.
I have some ideas for more arduino modules also. The most important thing when using a 5V processor in a +-15V environment is to protect it! One will make a mistake sooner or later and the processor is smoked.

Look out for my new website on www.sebsongs.com. I'm in the process of making a whole new site that is more biased towards synths and electronics. Hopefully I will launch the site very soon.
01012k7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to make my Yusynth smaller but decided to make a smaller as a desktop synth I also adding a mixer and a 8 step sequencer boards are almost made but lots to wire up should be a few months

20160204_104359.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.7 MB
 Viewed:  169 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20160204_104359.jpg

20151128_201723.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.42 MB
 Viewed:  170 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20151128_201723.jpg

Page 4 of 4 [82 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: