electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
simple 8 step sequecer for SL
Page 6 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
lalito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
I finished my WSG (my first electronics project). It sounds
great! My band mates love it! I would like to add more features
to it.
Is it possible to conect my WSG to the simple 8 step sequencer?
How can I do it?
Could you please post schematics?
Scirocco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could connect the wires of the pitch control of the WSG to the voltage sequence line like 1st schematic of the post, replacing the +V/-V by the WSG pitch control requeriments and using 4016 bilateral switches too.

I think it should work.

(please correct me if not, I´m new to this too)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monocapa/
henq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is all still a bit above my knowledge of electronics, but does anybody know about this: http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/vanpoint21/van_point21.html

and, is the sequencer fully functioning yet?
and if so, is somebody going to make a stripboard layout?
(for us dummys)
sm4tik

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey dnny and all the rest ofcourse!

Since there are a lot of people reading this I thought I'd register and ask this one online, but is there a reason why using a 4017 instead of a 4022? a 4022 has 8 outputs and upon jumping back to start it sends a carry pulse which could be used to easily add more chips in series. Any thoughts?
Here's a link to the datasheet
^as

ps.
dnny, I have to come and visit the KoElSe workshop soon to wreck those video mixers Wink
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is that you need some extra steps to cascade a couple of them into a 16 step sequence. 8 steps always return to step 1, so you need some wasted steps which run the logic to carry on into the second set of 8. This pic explains it better: -

16 steps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.73 KB
 Viewed:  55407 Time(s)

16 steps.jpg

sm4tik

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that one, get it now!
Correct me if I'm completely lost, but for a "simple 8 step sequencer for SL" (as the topic says) it could be used?

^as
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
this is all still a bit above my knowledge of electronics, but does anybody know about this: http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/vanpoint21/van_point21.html

Coincidentally, I'm trying to splice that design together with the baby10 sequencer (actually, the baby10 isn't much more than the CD4017 part of the Vanishing Point). I believe it is very much a confirmed design - the designer hangs out at Aron's Stompbox Forum, so go there for threads on it.

A stripboard layout is exactly what I'm working on, at this very moment I'm checking an almost finished layout for errors, so if and when I get it built succesfully, I will post a layout.

A thing to notice: The Vanishing Point Sequencer is originally intended as an addon for guitar fx pedals - hence the summing of the cv outs in that optocoupler. I'm going to remove that, and use the output section of the baby10 instead. Also, I'll be running it on 12 or 15VDC probably.

Baby10 on foniks page:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page22.html

Aron's forum:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/

C
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Coriolis, I built a Van Pt 2.1, and it works. The latout commonly available is not totally accurate, but good enough that you can fix it even after etching. On breadboard though, mine was completely solid. One must take the usual percautiuons seperating the logic and audio portions of course, but this would be less of an issue with higher signal levels. I was having good success with my experiments involving vactrols, but couldn't get a current sink transistor version to work. Reading and thinking about it now, I may give it another shot, but with a 4022 instead.
-justin

EDIT:
here's a pic of the PCB, again it's operation is so-so...
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that sounds good - may I ask how exactly the random mode works?
What does it actually do?

C
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC, the random mode puts a really high freq signal on the enab pin. That mixed with the clock signal gives the appearance of randomness. Or maybe I just made that up...
-justin
Aircoholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, does anyone have a PCB or Stripboard Layout he could share?
8 Steps would be okay, but 16 would be great Wink

Unfortunately I'm still not really good at transferring schematics to any board Confused
Anarchia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Baby10, Baby10... someone posted about this previously here but it's buried and takes forever to find the post and I swear the post is only for Rev.1 of the Baby10 which doesn't have as many features. I ended up just scaling down to what I wanted. In Rev. 2 of the Baby10 there are 2 CV and Gate outs, I only used one of each and I skipped the "manual trigger". Obviously there are 10 steps on the 4017 chip but I only use 4 (pots and switches can be expensive, and there's only so much room in my case) and for the clock I use the 555 clock from Daniel Vera's original post (thank you). I like the 555 timer cause it can also double as a square wave LFO. I hardwired the CV out to both VCO's individual, the VCF cut-off, and the VCA. I tried wiring it up to the Res. and Noise but it didn't work out as well. Then I add 1/4" jacks for the CV and Gate outs, along with a clock out (the square wave LFO) and a clock in for syncing purposes. I played around with Daniels original schematic for a while but to no avail. Eventually I found the Baby 10 post but still had some issues, but when I finally found the Rev. 2 of the Baby 10 it all came together a worked about as good as it can considering it was built by someone with no real electronics training (me).
So if your having troubles, the Baby 10 rev. 2 would be the way to go. Simple yet oh so fun

Seq. Clock.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15 KB
 Viewed:  60399 Time(s)

Seq. Clock.jpg

wholepage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.41 KB
 Viewed:  1013 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

wholepage.jpg

baby10_sch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  831.56 KB
 Viewed:  2890 Time(s)

baby10_sch.jpg

synthetic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen many versions of this circuit over the years, the first was in a book called "Sound Synthesis" by Terence Thomas. I'm thinking about finally building the sequencer in that book/this one/Baby 10. My concept is one module to act as the clock, then a 8-step sequencer(s) module. First question: Will any NPN transistor work for the clock input? The schematic I have says to use a 2N3365, but neither Mouser nor Digikey has those.

I can scan the article for this sequencer if it's legal and there is interest. It is a very good synth DIY book with many schematics and board layouts. It looks to be out of print. Thanks.
synthetic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just noticed the text in that Baby 10 article, "Even a lame duck like the SH-101 becomes a monster under the control of this." Shows you how taste changes over the years...
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: synthetic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

please post that article!!
i am trying to build this so it would really help

thanks
synthetic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me know if this isn't kosher and I'll pull these.

seq1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.96 KB
 Viewed:  1144 Time(s)

seq1.jpg

synthetic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

page 2/4

seq2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.38 KB
 Viewed:  1645 Time(s)

seq2.jpg

Last edited by synthetic on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
synthetic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

page 3/4

seq3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.49 KB
 Viewed:  1084 Time(s)

seq3.jpg

synthetic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

page 4/4

seq4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.28 KB
 Viewed:  1332 Time(s)

seq4.jpg

bubblechamber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What book was that from please.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
What book was that from please.

Yes, please identify the author and publisher. I figure this is ok to reproduce as fair use for educational purposes, but we should give a reference.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he said in his post before he printed it. terrence thomas......
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, went right by that one. Thanks fior pointing that out.
Page 6 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: