electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Discrete multiplexer inputs react to lower positive quarter
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Discrete multiplexer inputs react to lower positive quarter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was about to post this in the FAQ section, but then I tried the X-Fade mux, and thought that this can't be right. See the attached patch.

If you feed a blue line into Mux 1-8 and 8-1 modules, they will only change values when the input crosses over the lower positive quarter of the value range. If the complete blue range is -64 < x < +64 (if memory serves), then a mux 1-8 will slide from 8 to 1 when x goes from +32 to 0.

So if you want to constantly change mux routings with, say, a random module, you need to route it through a mixer set to linear 50 or a multiplier set to 0.5.

This doesn't apply to, for instance, SeqCtr modules, and what made me think that something isn't right is that it doesn't apply to the x-fade mux either! Both these modules react to changes within the entire positive half of the blue range.

I haven't been able to find anything in the manual that explains this, and the help page for the mux modules is very short. It's strange that this should go unnoticed - surely people use the discrete muxes occasionally? If this isn't a bug, maybe one of the moderators could move it to the FAQ section. It definitely isn't obvious behaviour in my opinion.

Cheers,

Stefan

MuxExample.pch2
 Description:
Example of different reactions to blue line input.

Download
 Filename:  MuxExample.pch2
 Filesize:  1.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1838 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look bogus to me too - or should I say bugus? Laughing

Your patch is an excellent way of isolating things down to the core problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see why you consider this to be a bug, and indeed it's not very obvious especially as some blue selection inpiuts need steps of size 4 and others need steps of size 8 (variation control through MIDI). Still this is the way things have been from the first version and people using the mudules concerned probably have learned to live with this (well I have :-).

Anyway, changing this would break a lot of patches ... still I'm thinking it would have been better when things would have been done didderent.

It surprises me this is not in the manual ... ok found it in the online help in the Switch Group/Commone switch parameters section

Quote:
The special thing about this Ctrl signal is that it’s defined by the different "states" of the Switch module, i.e. which Channel Select button is currently depressed. The Switch module sends out the Ctrl signal value 0 for the initial state (no button or button 1 depending on type of Switch module), value 4 for the next state, value 8 for the next and so on. The maximum Ctrl signal value a Switch module can send is 28 when button number 8 is selected on an 8-1Switch or 1-8Switch module. The Ctrl input on the 8-1Mux and 1-8Mux modules responds according to these Ctrl signal ranges: 0<4 = channel 1 active, 4<8 = channel 2 active, 8<12 = channel 3 active and so on up to 28 and above, which will activate channel 8. The reason for this pre-defined Ctrl value ranges is that a Switch module button should always correspond to the same channel number on a Mux module, regardless of number of buttons/channels on the module.

The common sections in the help file ... they have usefull info, yet I always forget to look into those as well :-)

Ok. I'll move this to the FAQ section better I guess.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you're right. Still, I wonder if a lot of people have used these muxes without realising that they don't switch values in the way they expect. It took me a while before I realised that the "8" was on a lot more than the others.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: