electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Analog Clock to Din Sync
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
OW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Analog Clock to Din Sync Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to be able so connect an analog clock signal from my sequencer to a din sync, so the sequencer will be the master and the din sync device the slave.

Is this possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
philoop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://gieskes.nl/master-clock-generator/build.php?inc=scripts.php

maybe this helps!?

roglok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland's DIN Sync standard is 24 Pulses per Quarter Note (PPQ) while Korg uses 48 PPQ. Your analog sequencer probably outputs 4 PPQ - or 16th notes.

You should be able to clock your DIN Sync devices with the clock signal straight away, but your clock would need to be 1.5 times the frequency to match the Roland specs and tripled in order to sync with Korg.

Also, the DIN Sync Start/Stop Signal is not a pulse, but a Logic Gate -

High Signal = Run
Low Signal = Stop

I think your best bet would be to build a master clock, like philoop suggested.

Or (this is what I did) build this CMOS based DIN Sync converter/divider: http://fa.utfs.org/diy/a100/sync2clock/index.html

Works great, but you'd need a clock input on your analog sequencer and use DIN Sync as the Master...
roglok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but your clock would need to be 1.5 times the frequency to match the Roland specs and tripled in order to sync with Korg.

erhm... obviously that should read:

Roland Sync: 16th Clock x 6
Korg Sync: 16th Clock x 12
OW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the reply Roglok!

The link you posted looks good, it would be great if the signal could go the other way i.e analog clock to DIN since most of my equipment only outputs clocks.

Another solution would be analog clock in to midi clock out, but schematics for this type of circuit is proving difficult to find!
roglok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You would need to multiply your clock signal then... I don't know how/if this is would be possible Rolling Eyes

Or: simply run your clock six times as fast... Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

You would still have to feed a "Run Gate" to the Start/Stop input to make it work...
OW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I have an idea on how to do this... What would I need to connect the analog clock out to on the DIN cable, and what other connections would I need to make on the DIN connector?

Thank you!
roglok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I said above, you need to connect a positive Gate to the Start/Stop pin on the DIN Sync connector to make your DIN Sync slaves play.

0V on Start/Stop = Stop
5V on Start/Stop = Play

You probably won't need the Continue signal...

What equipment are you using?

EDIT: on the diagram above, the Start/Stop connection is labelled "Run"
frequencycentral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great thread, was just thinking about this as I just picked up a 606. I'll be doing a PCB for the Florian Anwanders project when I get time.
roglok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'll be doing a PCB for the Florian Anwanders project when I get time.

Nice one! I've built it on veroboard and added a clock division switch (/2, /3, /6). It plays along very nicely with my 606 and 202...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: