electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
g2ools-0.91 nm1 to g2 converter
Page 7 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ohh i see!
Thank you very much!Double clicking was exactly was i was doing!
Thanks again!!!
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are the updates: for 0.90:

X Morphs uuhhh... eventually
X PitchMod input when slave is used (fixed already for OscC but not optimal)
X Add pitchmod tuning to mixer settings (without the fine tuning)
X KeySplit upper and lower swapped
X Fx-In pad always at +6Db
X PWMod corrections
X non-Mst/Slv model
X remove Osc waveform inversion for all cases.
X set patch level based on out module
X Kbt Track update
X Use Eq3Band For FilterBank

I've fixed a couple of bugs as well. This converter will only deal with version > 3 .pch files. I took the nord module book from j clark and it converted all but 4 patches. It doesn't currently translate patches with the Expander module becuase I don't have a model for that one. The FilterBank just gets replaced with a Eq3Band module with it's default settings.

Outside of bug fixes, this baby is ready. 3phase's help has been fantastic. This thing converts more accurately because of his input. Any thanks also goes all who made comments within this post for fixes, helping others get started. Thank you.

If someone doesn't post a collection using this tool, I'm going to do it. I'll probably do the tips-and-tricks collection as well as the j clark book patch examples.

q
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want a proper version of the filterbank, look here: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-12691.html

Eats up twice the amount of resources than the original nm filterbank, but it could be useful...
qfingers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
If you want a proper version of the filterbank, look here: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-12691.html

Eats up twice the amount of resources than the original nm filterbank, but it could be useful...

After looking at it. It's probably overkill. Plus I'd have a hard time fitting it into a patch with more then one. I've had similar problems with the SineBank. There was a patch with 4 SineBank modules. It overloaded the vertical coordinates of the editor and wrapped around to the top. Also, I haven't come up with a good way to do 2 column modules. It would really complicate the module relocation algorithm. But I will keep it in mind if I solve that one, then this would be a useable solution.

q
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool...so its time to do the real conversion trys and bug hunting...

i am just about setting up the pitch test again to verify if the difference in base pitcg of nm1 and g2 is causing audioable problems...
my guess is that this wont be the case because its to little missmatch...
but i better check it anyway with some testpatches in extreme settings...
3phase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

It doesn't currently translate patches with the Expander module becuase I don't have a model for that one.

Can you post a nm1 patch that uses the expander? haven't come along one yet...but would be better to judge what is best to replace it by listening to a practical application... In general i would replace the expander with the gate module because the only time i used it in a patch was to prevent noise from the audio in... So my educated guess is that in most cases the expander module is used to achieve gate functionality...

If anybody knows a patch that make more exotic use of the expander module please post it here...

Quote:
If someone doesn't post a collection using this tool, I'm going to do it. I'll probably do the tips-and-tricks collection as well as the j clark book patch examples.

As long you are the only one that don't has to type any patchname by hand and has a system that chews all names without limiting conventions you are probably most qualified to do whole collections or even the whole Nm1 lib... i actually would like if there would be some 1:1 mirror of the Nm1 libary just with the converted patches...

I however will do some conversion on special patches i liked or created myself to search for conversion mismatching..

To have a run on the whole lib its probably better to have this tests done first and the converter optimized...
i will post any problematic conversion with source..result and handmade fix to get them sound wright here...

I am curious how good 0.9 is already...just selected some patches...will buy something for breakfast..and than we will see...
I selected some surely problematic patches with lots of sequencing...fm stuff..and some of chat singers models..i guess they are not so easy to translate to the g2 anyway... I try to look for patches that ask for trouble... i think this helps trouble shouting... On easy patches the older version worked fine already...

if anybody has a suggestion for a problematic patch please post it or a link here ... i can do 1:1 listening comparisons what is the very best way to check the effectivity of a converter...

On most patches little sound differences wouldn't matter so much..but its this little differences that cause another patch that uses more extreme modulations to turn from something useful to distorted noise...
So its important to have a converter as accurate as possible to give it the ability to convert any patch that comes along reasonably good
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
Afro88 wrote:

After looking at it. It's probably overkill. Plus I'd have a hard time fitting it into a patch with more then one. I've had similar problems with the SineBank. There was a patch with 4 SineBank modules. It overloaded the vertical coordinates of the editor and wrapped around to the top. Also, I haven't come up with a good way to do 2 column modules. It would really complicate the module relocation algorithm. But I will keep it in mind if I solve that one, then this would be a useable solution.

q

Yeah, fair enough, it is quite big. Just thought I'd let you know! Smile

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I thought it would be a good idea to post a link of this thread to the Nord Modular mailing list because I feel they would provide some good feedback/ideas for the project.

Cheers
3phase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just mailed the info to the list...but no link...just mentioned that there is a converter now... if there is no response to my question for expander using patches i will try the (pretty dead) mailinglist aswell
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So.. i rechecked the pitch mod table... actually there was a typo that causes the converter in v0.9 to mess up the max setting of the pitchinput knob with a much to high negetiv offset...originaly this was ment as negativ mix setting of 1.6...accidently allready translated as 2 in the 0-127 count..

But now translated as 14.1... much to high..that needs to be debugged

I checked again the slight detune phenomen that is between my nm1 and the g2...actually that appears only in the high setting of the pitch input knob... difficult to say how to handle it... best compromise i found is to reduce the negativ ofset to 1 digit...equals 0.8 on the mixer...

other alternativ is to set it to zero and accept the slight detune that might appear than on higher pitches...

The attached patches show a conversion that is handoptimized...
allready... so if you convert the Nm1 version again you will see the pitch offset mixer module with the wrung setting of 14.1

Is there someone that has a G2 and NM1 that can check aswell?
Maybe its just my machines?

In the attached patches you see the red mixer module in the g2 version..its set on 0.8 on the invert mix input...

play your nm1 and g2 parallel...there should be minimal beating even on the highest keys...

now change the 0.8 setting on the red mixer module to zero...

Is beating heavier or better/less?

On my machine its hard to say if 0.8 or 1.6 gives the minimal beating..therefore i suggest the smaller value...
But in zero position i get increased beating...
But opposite to my initial thoughts..its less than 1 cent off..so its not related to the mastertune of the nords or can be offsetted with the master tune function.

Another problem... or not problem...a suggestion...

the pw mod section gots translated even when the saw wave was selected in the NM1 patch... maybe a waste of resources?
or handy ?

Sofar i havent had issues where a translated patch was too big...

but..i know one where this will happen because of logic signals going to highrate...

I will look into that next..might be a thing that needs a tactic to deal with aswell.

pitchtest2.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pitchtest2.pch
 Filesize:  1.35 KB
 Downloaded:  448 Time(s)

pitchtest2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pitchtest2.pch2
 Filesize:  2.1 KB
 Downloaded:  1356 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A conversion that actually sounds better than the original...
but is doing some mistakes or cant deal with the situation...

The grey output is used to tune delay lines...a thing that i now remember to have seen in some of Chet Singer patches...

We have a tactic now to deal with control signals going to grey inputs but none for grey outputs going to control inputs...

So we need an idea to deal with that... Mr Blue Hell? Any more insights of the nature of the grey signals? How does a grey output differs from the blue pitch output? can a pitchout be scaled to get the values of a grey signal?

One other point i see in this patch...The master Lfo in the NM1 version has keyboard tracking..the one in the G2 version not

3phaseSines.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3phaseSines.pch2
 Filesize:  3.7 KB
 Downloaded:  1339 Time(s)

3phaseSines.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3phaseSines.pch
 Filesize:  2.46 KB
 Downloaded:  454 Time(s)

Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the compressor module sidechain active is not translated...

sidechain active has fx to the sound even when nothing is connected to the input

Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As expected we have problems with the physical modeling patches that use tuned delay lines...
There has to be a tactic developed to deal with the situation...

in the attached patch there is also another bug...see red mixer module on the right side... The feedback path is closed in the g2 translation while its full up in the original

csG2romanticM2.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  csG2romanticM2.pch
 Filesize:  4.71 KB
 Downloaded:  418 Time(s)

csG2romanticM2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  csG2romanticM2.pch2
 Filesize:  5.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1346 Time(s)

Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just came along an internal headroom problem of the G2 regarding its fx area... as it seems you need to have the fx input module set to -6 db and the total output of the patch to +6db to compensate for the level loss...

The boosting is not really necessary...but some patches might seem low in level without when you allways reduce by 6 db when entering the fx area.

The patch is setted to the max internal levels without internal clipping...

the g2 version is the hand fixed one...try the converter to see the result yourself...

quite a few patches distort after the conversion... but exept the point where it goes in the fx area the headroom of Nm1 and g2 seems to be the same...

so the input to the fx area is the point to eliminate that problem

Headroom.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Headroom.pch
 Filesize:  1010 Bytes
 Downloaded:  455 Time(s)

headroomfix.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  headroomfix.pch2
 Filesize:  1.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1350 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:
Subject description: distortion module bug
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a bug with the distortion module replacing...the following amp is always set to maximum causing distortions...

But.. while checking with the headroom patch i realized that even when set correctly the whole circuit still would overload following stages...

i need to optimize the model for high gain scenarios and will post the result later..

maybe its better to don't try to mimic the Nm´s overdrive behavior too closely...you get the character on normal levels with my simulation block...but that cant be guarantied in any patch... On high levels the clipping module gets dominant in the sound charackter and than ists way off with the behaviour of the NM1 module...when i or somebody else dont comes up with something better i suggest to replace the overdrive module just one:one for now...
I will see with some tests if i can get a solution that sounds closely to the Nm1 but stays stable without changing beeing depended on the gainstructure or changing it...

Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In general it would be nice if replacement blocks get another color or get framed with text modules..its easier to spot them than in the conversion...

It seems that some of the block actions get wrong parameters...
is this maybe related to the variations within the G2 ?

Hower..seem to be still quite a bunch of little things... next..

the keyboard scaler module... i ve to do some tests there..but it looks likely that there is a missmatch to be solved...

more regarding that later...
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

translating of my notescaler test patch shows 2 problems imideatly...

the wrong output of the scaler module gets connected... the G2 module has an additional vca inbuild that dont exsists on the nm1...

Osc a in the g2 translation has keyboard tracking on, while the nm1 version is set to off.

The g2 scaler module has key scaling on while the NM1 module dont even offers that possebility

Translation of the settings is way off... clearly because the two modules have total different ranges... the nm1 version has 24db boosts while the g2 has 8 db max...

the nm1 version has a velocity input and sense control... positive scalings get only applied when velocity is not at max!

This all needs a building block and a table :-/
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and another bug... on logic modules that use or and xor logic (maybe others aswell..) the left logic module is set to xor but the connections are done with the right logic mocule that stays in the AND setting...so all logics become AND gates...

I also came along a patch that gots 110% on the G2 now..part of it was the waste of logicmodules..i just try to minimize it by hand what is easy by safing some logic modules by using the unused half of the g2´s logic modules... but maybe the converter could do that automatical?

However not important... As it looks there are still some problems to solve... the grey output and the note scaler are not so easy nuts... but probably they have theire solution as the other problems we came along sofar...

I think it wouldnt hurt if more people would search for bugs and problems now.. than the next version could be a complete one...
qfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
So.. i rechecked the pitch mod table... actually there was a typo that causes the converter in v0.9 to mess up the max setting of the pitchinput knob with a much to high negetiv offset...originaly this was ment as negativ mix setting of 1.6...accidently allready translated as 2 in the 0-127 count..

Will you send me the updated pitchmod table? I do use it in the other places you mentioned (somewhere). Like the mixer settings.
Quote:
the pw mod section gots translated even when the saw wave was selected in the NM1 patch... maybe a waste of resources?
or handy ?

Is a cable connected? That is the check I do when adding the section.
Quote:
On the compressor module sidechain active is not translated...

Fixed
Quote:
translating of my notescaler test patch shows 2 problems imideatly...

the wrong output of the scaler module gets connected... the G2 module has an additional vca inbuild that dont exsists on the nm1...

I didn't see the problem. Both Note Scalers are the same? I don't see the problem. Is it a different module?

Quote:
I just came along an internal headroom problem of the G2 regarding its fx area... as it seems you need to have the fx input module set to -6 db and the total output of the patch to +6db to compensate for the level loss...

So you want me to decrease the Fx-In by -6dB, then increase the audio output by +6dB? Only in the FX area?
Quote:
There is a bug with the distortion module replacing...the following amp is always set to maximum causing distortions...

But.. while checking with the headroom patch i realized that even when set correctly the whole circuit still would overload following stages...

i need to optimize the model for high gain scenarios and will post the result later..

It looks like maybe we need a table to convert this? Are you going to send me an update?
Quote:
In general it would be nice if replacement blocks get another color or get framed with text modules..its easier to spot them than in the conversion...

I will look at all modules and assign different colors to Osc, Filters, etc, but only the ones that require a group of modules. If you want I can add TextBar's around them. Or I can add an option to the command-line to add the TextBars or not.

Quote:
Osc a in the g2 translation has keyboard tracking on, while the nm1 version is set to off.

The g2 scaler module has key scaling on while the NM1 module dont even offers that possebility

Translation of the settings is way off... clearly because the two modules have total different ranges... the nm1 version has 24db boosts while the g2 has 8 db max...

the nm1 version has a velocity input and sense control... positive scalings get only applied when velocity is not at max!

This all needs a building block and a table :-/

I checked for 2 cases for KBT, zero and 64. I just set the KBT of the Osc to Off when zero, and 100% when 64. Maybe it's not working. I will look into it.

By the way you mentioned you have to type the patch name by hand when executing the program. I'm not sure what shell (command-line interpreter) OSX uses but it's probably bash or csh. if you execute:
Code:
echo "$SHELL"

it will tell you which shell you are running. Most shells have command-line completion. Usually by pressing <TAB>, with a couple of charaters of the name or folder, the shell will complete it for you. It allows a much faster typing because the shell finishes the filename or directory (folder). If you wanted to convert all the patches in all the folders below a specified one you could do this:
Code:

find /nm1patches -name "*.pch" -print0 |xargs -0 -i ./nm2g2.py "{}"

This will mass convert all your .pch files in every directory under /nm1patches. OSX has most of the same capabilities as Linux in this reguard. If you do a google search on "OSX terminal tutorial", you find links on how to use the OSX terminal (which really is a shell within a terminal) most effectively. Most people don't understand the power of the shell because they are so use to GUI apps. Don't get me wrong, I like GUI apps when used appropriately, but they are not always the fastest or best way to get something done. I build command-line application because they can have GUI wrappers and still be within the shell or script (a shell program). I can actually (I may eventually) create a web based convertion tool that all you have to do is upload the patch and gives you the converted patch.

Anyways, I digress..

q

Edit: notescaler issue, fixed quote.
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

5 more...

1)The Pw mod circuit isnt activated...the mixermodules are set to off by the converter...
And the osclator itself gets still the pw knob changed...but it has to stay on 50%..the pw mod circuit replaces it...

2)The clock input module is correctly replaced by the clockgenerator but the clockgenerator is set to internal..what is not what the clock module in the NM1 is doing...the setting have to be master...

3) it seems that the control to grey input buildingblock dont gets applied yet...see yellow oscillator

4) percoscillator is applied with keyboard tracking on...the nm1 perc socillator dont has keyboard tracking

5) the wrong model is used for the NM1 VCA in half setting...a levelconverter has nothing to do there...the correct replacement you find in the fixed version of the patch... again i post only source and my handtweak... what the converter is doing you easily can check yourself..i marked the areas wher i did changes with colors

I am still on the over 100% patch..its running now but still not 100% sounding correct.. but got it much closer than v0.9 of the converter is doing right away..so a good testpatch.. especially because it would ask the converter to automatical replace AD by adsr envelopes and get the logic compact when dsp or memory gets over 100%...
On small patches i think its better to replace one by one just to keep the optical orientation of patches.. what can be especially with logic modules helpfull...but when it gets over 100% this is luxery..

would be great if the converter would chew even the hardest nuts...maybe a bit cruel from me to only convert the hardest patches...

I was able to get it under 100% by fixing the waste of logic modules...and!

by replacing the AD envelopes with ADSR types...opposite to the NM1 where the AD envelopes are the cheapest, they are more expensive than ADSR´s on the G2...

The question is now... why AD enelopes are needed? are there situations where a ADSR cant do the job? one more point to be investigated...

gabbahey3f1.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gabbahey3f1.pch2
 Filesize:  8.85 KB
 Downloaded:  1376 Time(s)

GabbaHey3.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GabbaHey3.pch
 Filesize:  6.66 KB
 Downloaded:  441 Time(s)

Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="qfingers"]
Quote:
Will you send me the updated pitchmod table? I do use it in the other places you mentioned (somewhere). Like the mixer settings.

Sure..but its just the last value for translating 127 to 127...the finetuning applied ther is off... it shoult be invert 0.8 on the scale mixer.

Quote:
Is a cable connected? That is the check I do when adding the section.

maybe..i have to look when i see such a thing again......when a cable is connected to the pw input using of the square wave was at least intended by the patch author...so it wouldnt be a waste to have the circuit in place even when the patch is safed with a saw wave in action..

Quote:
I didn't see the problem. Both Note Scalers are the same? I don't see the problem. Is it a different module?

Its a total different module...we need to do soemthing there... maybe tonight i find time to get at it... its nothing with a qick fix...

Quote:
So you want me to decrease the Fx-In by -6dB, then increase the audio output by +6dB? Only in the FX area?

Yes...thats for some reasons the bottle neck... the increase at the final output is maybe questionable...but the -6db setting at the fx input can prevent highlevel patches from distorting at that point

Quote:

It looks like maybe we need a table to convert this? Are you going to send me an update?

I will see if i can make a better building block...for the time until now i suggest to get rid of the limiter and amp module and just use the overdrive in the hard setting... i will do some more listening tests how we can get the closest to the original overdrive sound without gettimg into headroom trouble... but i think its better to exchange faulty buildingblocks with the simple solution aslong there are no optimal fixes.

Quote:

I checked for 2 cases for KBT, zero and 64. I just set the KBT of the Osc to Off when zero, and 100% when 64. Maybe it's not working. I will look into it.

I think we have a missunderstanding..the notescaler module i am talking about is the one that plays an important role in many fm related patches..because of its velocity sensetiv input it needs somekind of buildingblock around it...

i attache my workbase patches than you see what i am talking about..
they still dont show a solution..i allways try to check controler scalings with pitches because its easier to get small missmatchings than by ear...
just hard for the nerves Wink

Anyway..great work..hope you dont get sour because i still find so many issues... just..i think its better to test things the hard way...

regards
Sven

Notescale.pch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Notescale.pch
 Filesize:  1002 Bytes
 Downloaded:  445 Time(s)

notescale.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  notescale.pch2
 Filesize:  1.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1304 Time(s)

qfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="3phase"]5 more...

1)The Pw mod circuit isnt activated...the mixermodules are set to off by the converter...
And the osclator itself gets still the pw knob changed...but it has to stay on 50%..the pw mod circuit replaces it...[quote]
I'll fix this. It's easy
Quote:
2)The clock input module is correctly replaced by the clockgenerator but the clockgenerator is set to internal..what is not what the clock module in the NM1 is doing...the setting have to be master...

Where does it get it's clock? Should I just set it to external?
Quote:
3) it seems that the control to grey input buildingblock dont gets applied yet...see yellow oscillator

I'll look into this.
Quote:
4) percoscillator is applied with keyboard tracking on...the nm1 perc socillator dont has keyboard tracking

I'll just turn it off.
Quote:
5) the wrong model is used for the NM1 VCA in half setting...a levelconverter has nothing to do there...the correct replacement you find in the fixed version of the patch... again i post only source and my handtweak... what the converter is doing you easily can check yourself..i marked the areas wher i did changes with colors

The level converter is there for the input, there is a button on the NM1 module that converts the input signal to Pos. I think that is correct.
Quote:
I was able to get it under 100% by fixing the waste of logic modules...and!

I was thinking of a logic reducer. This would take all the logic modules, and inverters and compress them into g2 modules. This would have the effect of decreasing the module resources by a factor of 2. This probably should be a command-line option so some patches will look ok visually, as the reducing would make a cable mess. This is a pretty big change though, I wouldn't expect it for the next several releases. It may not even be possible to do it correctly.
Quote:
by replacing the AD envelopes with ADSR types...opposite to the NM1 where the AD envelopes are the cheapest, they are more expensive than ADSR´s on the G2...

The question is now... why AD enelopes are needed? are there situations where a ADSR cant do the job? one more point to be investigated...

So you want AD envelops replace with ADSR except under specific conditions (TBD).

q
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Where does it get it's clock? Should I just set it to external?

allmost all points i just mentioned resulted out of the transfer of the gabbahey3 patch... The wright setting is external as in the gabbahey3f1 patch now...all the rest of the settings around the clocking was correct..not a big issue anyway... the patch is working in itsself booth ways..

Quote:
The level converter is there for the input, there is a button on the NM1 module that converts the input signal to Pos. I think that is correct.

No it is not...was the reason the gabba hey patches was suddenly without drums after the conversion... the button on the Nm1 VCA module has nothing to do with the control signal..it reduces the impact of the vca to the sound by 50%..so 50% pass thru without modulation and the rest of the signal is under VCA control..so you need a mixer module in lin setting and levels set to 50/50 ..one input gets the VCA in signal, the other the vca output...
See the gabbahey3f1 patch as refference.

Quote:
So you want AD envelops replace with ADSR except under specific conditions (TBD).

might be a good idea... at least in the NM1 the AD is often used as resource safer envelope in dense patches...
On the G2 it has the opposite fx...The AD uses way more resources than the ADSR... ...
problem is that decay and release setings have to be done relativ to the mode the AD is in...
Would be maybe helpfull when others show an opinion regarding this point aswell... I will do some tests to get an immage about the risks in just using adsr´s... But it would make patches smaller..that for sure.
qfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
Quote:

Sure..but its just the last value for translating 127 to 127...the finetuning applied ther is off... it shoult be invert 0.8 on the scale mixer.

Fixed...
Quote:
Quote:

Its a total different module...we need to do soemthing there... maybe tonight i find time to get at it... its nothing with a qick fix...

Which module is it?

Quote:

Easy enough. Do you want it at 0dB when the +6dB is selected?
Quote:

I will see if i can make a better building block...for the time until now i suggest to get rid of the limiter and amp module and just use the overdrive in the hard setting... i will do some more listening tests how we can get the closest to the original overdrive sound without gettimg into headroom trouble... but i think its better to exchange faulty buildingblocks with the simple solution aslong there are no optimal fixes.

I'll wait for this.

Quote:
I think we have a missunderstanding..the notescaler module i am talking about is the one that plays an important role in many fm related patches..because of its velocity sensetiv input it needs somekind of buildingblock around it..
i attache my workbase patches than you see what i am talking about..
they still dont show a solution..i allways try to check controler scalings with pitches because its easier to get small missmatchings than by ear...
just hard for the nerves Wink

The NoteVelScal module? Yeah, I just added what I could. I figure we need a convertion table for this as well.

Quote:
Anyway..great work..hope you dont get sour because i still find so many issues... just..i think its better to test things the hard way...

regards
Sven

Not at all. I want this type of feedback. It will die down as time progresses. I know we have a language barrier to overcome. Plus, I need to organize all the posts you have into a TODO list. So I'll post the TODO list of all the posts so you can add, remove, or correct anything I list incorrectly. I don't want to miss anything because it's all important.

q
qfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
allmost all points i just mentioned resulted out of the transfer of the gabbahey3 patch... The wright setting is external as in the gabbahey3f1 patch now...all the rest of the settings around the clocking was correct..not a big issue anyway... the patch is working in itsself booth ways..

could you post the original? Then I can validate my fixes.

Thanks,
q
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Which module is it?

look in the notescaler patches above... this module..it needs a table and extra circuit...

Quote:
Easy enough. Do you want it at 0dB when the +6dB is selected?

yes..
Page 7 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: