electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Problem circuit bending toy keyboard
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
torvez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Problem circuit bending toy keyboard
Subject description: there are 3 separate circuit boards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I am somewhat new to circuit bending and recently picked up a keyboard from work to mess around with.
Problem is when I prod around in it, the only sounds I get from it are clean.
there are 3 different boards, and the only thing i could find was a tempo shift for drums and a few places that make stock noises.
I'm not sure what else I could do. Help would be awesome!
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 344

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Problem circuit bending toy keyboard
Subject description: there are 3 separate circuit boards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

torvez wrote:
Hi, I am somewhat new to circuit bending and recently picked up a keyboard from work to mess around with.
Problem is when I prod around in it, the only sounds I get from it are clean.
there are 3 different boards, and the only thing i could find was a tempo shift for drums and a few places that make stock noises.
I'm not sure what else I could do. Help would be awesome!

There's usually not a whole lot you can do with those 'black blob' circuits. Doing something with the 2 PCB's
for the keyboards will not get you very far, except maybe shorting something will make it play more
keys at once.

The main circuit (black blob) is where all the magic happens and from my experience they're usually build in
such a way that connecting in/outputs of it together (shorting) will just result in something you can allready
do with it. Sometimes there are some hidden things in there because they use the same PCB for a line
of keyboards. with the difference that he cheaper ones don't have everything connected.

There are some other components on that board and maybe if you're lucky there is a pitch resistor on
there, but most of them are usually for amplification and there's isn't much use in screwing around with that.
(unless you want to see some magic smoke),

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen a few circuit bending guides which suggest shorting things together to find good bends. I may be about to open a can of worms but I don't care.
DO NOT SHORT TOGETHER RANDOM THINGS.
Instead, get an oscilloscope, have a look around the board and find some signals or voltages and learn how you can play with them to make it do more interesting things.
Shorting things together, from my experience and knowledge of electronics, is the best way to break everything.
Instead learn how you can connect things together which are not supposed to be connected together, without breaking them. Analog electronics may require resistors or buffers, most likely both. Digital circuits can usually be played with much easier, for example you could add your own gates to connect in more signals. Diode OR gates are easy to make (google them).

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: