electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Twyndyllyngs Live Chez Mosc

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
SK1 + Bastl Kastle
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lvithnn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: SK1 + Bastl Kastle
Subject description: cant find any info on what i stumbled upon last night
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been working on and off on a Casio SK1 in and amongst a number of other projects for the last little while, I've taken things in and out a number of times, reworked wiring, patch points etc a number of times and whatnot. The basis of my work thus far has been based on Reed Ghahazala's work as well as Papernoise's Concertodrone, along with a bunch of my own experimentation.
In its current iteration I'm using a miniature breadboard as a patch bay, with the leads from the patch points connecting directly to the metal strips below so that each patch point is broken out to a row on 6 patch sockets. Alone this has resulted in a whole slew of crazy sounds and tones without having a single switch or pot added in (no poly, pitch, adjustable skew added)

This brings me to what I experimented with last night. I recently picked up a Bast Kastle v1.5 which is a super fun little synth with a slew of features and have been trying to test it's limits and see what it can do. For those of you that don't know the Kastle has a number of features (https://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/kastle/kastle-v1-5/) and has a patch bay of 37 I think points that are jumped using breadboard jumper wires.

I think you might be able to see where this is going, but I essentially patched the Kastle's osc outputs as well as a couple other parameters directly into the patchbay of my SK1... a few jumper wires later on each patchbay and my SK1 all of a sudden had pitch shift/ bend, control over rate, timbre, pitch, waveform, as well as an 8 step generator, 2 lfo's and mild distortion. Also the weird side effect of allowing me to use voices from different sample sets together.

Unfortunately I didn't take a video before I tried to push it farther, but I'm going to try again tonight.

So the way this worked out is very confusing to me is that I'm only feeding signals into the patchpoints directly on the RAM and ROM and is essentially just entirely circumventing the CPU. Anyone have any ideas how this might be working?
Lvithnn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also pics and videos will follow, i just need to set up a way do do either that are up to spec
ixtern

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: SK1 + Bastl Kastle
Subject description: cant find any info on what i stumbled upon last night
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lvithnn wrote:

This brings me to what I experimented with last night. I recently picked up a Bast Kastle v1.5 which is a super fun little synth with a slew of features and have been trying to test it's limits and see what it can do. For those of you that don't know the Kastle has a number of features (https://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/kastle/kastle-v1-5/) and has a patch bay of 37 I think points that are jumped using breadboard jumper wires.
So the way this worked out is very confusing to me is that I'm only feeding signals into the patchpoints directly on the RAM and ROM and is essentially just entirely circumventing the CPU. Anyone have any ideas how this might be working?

Code and schematic are here:
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/kastle
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: