electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
USB-CV Interface Project
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
surgesg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: USB-CV Interface Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Here's a project that I've been working on - finally nearing completion. It's an OSC-receiving USB to CV generator.

http://gregsurges.com/circuitry/usb-octomod/

http://gregsurges.com/programming/osc-processing-microcontroller-connect-maxmsp-dac-ic/

At this point, I would appreciate any and all feedback on the project. I'm also considering doing a small run of PCBs in a few weeks, if there's any interest.

Best,

- G
oootini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds very interesting!
oootini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is this mac only?
surgesg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for checking it out.

Although I'm developing on a Mac, I've chosen Processing as the language for the host app specifically because it's so cross-platform. I have to do some testing, but it should work on Windows and Linux as well.
oootini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should post on the muff wigglers forum. you'll get a lot of interest there...
surgesg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will do, thanks.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great!

If you do a pcb run then put me down for one.

Cheers

Andy
surgesg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

To update, I just placed an order for a small run of PCBs. A limited number of kits will be available as well.

- Greg
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What would your prices be?
surgesg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thinking $16 and shipping for the PCB, not sure about kits yet.
TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,am interested in a 'kit',but how do you program this thing etc?
surgesg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Teknik,

Well, I'm considering provided pre-programmed chips if desired, but you can also program your own using the Arduino environment.

I'll be posting the source code soon, but I'm just wrapping things up to make sure it works cross-platform.

I did a little tutorial here: http://gregsurges.com/programming/osc-processing-microcontroller-connect-maxmsp-dac-ic/

If this seems too complex, don't let it scare you. I've done all of the hard serial coding, and all the user really needs to do is generate OSC data from whatever method they like. This tutorial is really just to show what goes on behind the scenes, and to document my process.

Does that help?

- Greg
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Greg,thanks for reply.

i don't think its something for me.

am just after a cv/gate interface i can built into module form wich match my module format and can directly communicate via midi trough usb.

very handy just hooking a laptop to my modular via usb

Cheers
surgesg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made a mailing list to let people know when PCBs are ready.

http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/usb-octomod/

- Greg
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool project! I would be interested in buying a kit or PCB as well. Smile

/Stefan

surgesg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce that the first run of PCBs for the USB-Octomod has arrived! There are 20, and it seems like they will go fast.
You can check out the project page here: http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/usb-octomod/
There is also a link to order the PCB on that page.

Boards will be $16 + shipping, and I'm set up for Paypal and Google Checkout.

I've also posted the source for both the Teensy microcontroller and the Processing Host app on that page.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

- Greg
surgesg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, they did go fast, only a few left. I've got mine working with an Arduino instead of Teensy too. Seems to work equally well, actually.

Posted some code for that here: http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/usb-octomod.
max92

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could be interested! do I need to program any IC myself? cause i've never done anything like that. only soldering and setting analog modules up...
surgesg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will soon have kits or pre-populated boards, no programming necessary.
max92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

surgesg wrote:
I will soon have kits or pre-populated boards, no programming necessary.

Great!
surgesg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

The 2nd batch of USB-Octomod PCBs has arrived. Some of these are going to be set aside for pre-populated boards or kits, but there are about 14 more. If you're interested, you can check them out at http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/store/ and http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/usb-octomod/.

More soon,

- Greg
max92

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd very much like a kit Smile
max92

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm... Can I controll it thru anything else than Max/MSP? i am only using Live without Max for Live. Can I still send OSC?
surgesg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use any software that transmits OSC. Lots of open-source stuff out there, PD, ChucK, etc.

The osc interface is /dac chan1 chan2 chan3 chan4 chan5 chan6 chan7 chan8
surgesg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

I've finally got some full sets of components available. I've got five sets, which can be shipped either as pre-assembled, tested boards, or as component kits w/ a pre-programmed Teensy 2.0.

You can check them out at http://www.gregsurges.com/circuitry/store/

Enjoy!

- Greg
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: