electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Wacky, Zany, Weird (and possibly Odd) Sound Maker Project
Page 1 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Wacky, Zany, Weird (and possibly Odd) Sound Maker Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rays new sound circuit :
Your First Synth

Ray in www.musicfromouterspace.com
Quote:

Whether you need weird sounds for a movie, performance art,
neighbor annoyance, or you just like making weird sounds in the woods
this circuit is for you.

its just great try it and you will love it
here is a sound sample without the filter unit

here is the project page :Your First Synth

for admins : i think that here should be a forum for
Music from outer space or just for DIY-synths -

- because there is so much to build...

well anyway this Sound Lab forum is great!
(i meant this electro-music forum is great)

daniel

firstsynth.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  firstsynth.mp3
 Filesize:  560.48 KB
 Downloaded:  2006 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is this the thread that Howard terminated Question Twisted Evil a case of resurrection Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny or anyone else who's made this wacky sound generator
have a pcb or stripboard layout for us laymen who can't change a
schem to a workable layout?

sounds great by the way nice work Smile

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice sounding gizmo!!!
I just bought the components and a brand new breadboard to test this weird sound generator... it seems to be a funny project!!!
ladislao
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a lot of fun!

Yes, this is the topic I accidentally deleted. Thanks for putting it back. Very Happy

I would never have thought of humorous circuit schematics, but Ray has done that. Laughing

BRAVO!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished to breadboard this little beast...
it sounds really great with filter included!
I suggest to everyone to build one... it's going to be a lot of fun!
now it's time to etch a cool PCB...
ladislao
dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi ladislao

if you make a PCB layout please post it here

i think many people would really enjoy building this - but building from schematics just is not that easy to everyone

so a PCB would do the trick

daniel

today i will add the filter module
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:
if you make a PCB layout please post it here

ok, I will. It will take a few days, maybe a week, 'cause I only have a handsketch right now, so I have to create a good diagram on my PC, but I don't have any dedicated software, so I will have to do it with paintbrush (like I did for my WP20), which is a windows standard and poor sw to make images...

dnny wrote:
today i will add the filter module

do it. filters are never enough Wink

ladislao
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ladislaobiro wrote:
I don't have any dedicated software, so I will have to do it with paintbrush (like I did for my WP20), which is a windows standard and poor sw to make images...

ladislao,

I'm doing most my artwork in an excellent little dtp program called 'Intaglio'. Unfortunately, it only works on Mac OSX- but if you want me to help out, please email me and I'll do the layout for you :)

best

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tom,
thanks for your proposal... I will try first with my rudimental tools (they make me feel like a pioneer or something...), then, if I get in trouble, I will write you an email...
If you come along with a PCB for the WSG before I post mine, please post it here... it could be helpful as a reference for me also Wink
ladislao
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just out of curiousity, where are you in Italy? (I have lived in Pisa and Rome).

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Loooking forward to a PCB. I been doing this for alittle and would like
to learn the schem to breadboard to workable layout. You guys have any tips, advice, links?

thanks

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Just out of curiousity, where are you in Italy? (I have lived in Pisa and Rome).

Tom

I live in Bologna, north Italy, 400 Km from Rome, 200 Km from Pisa... Very Happy
ladislao
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here we go...
Here’s a PCB for your Zany, Wacky, Weird and definitely Odd Sound Generator.

The two pictures you will find inside the compressed folder are bigger than real dimensions, so you will have to reduce the images’ scale in order to use them to etch a usable board.

This board is supposed to receive all the components (jack, pots and switches included), with no flying wires, so you will probably have to adjust the position of the “solder-points” (are they called pads? sorry for my lame English) for S1, S2 and J1, in order to fit the pinout of the components in your hands.

The spacing among the pads of the potentiometers is dimensioned to receive mini-pots (guitar pedal type pots).

In the parts layout picture you will see that C6 is shown as a rectangular component (not oval like the other ceramic capacitors). This is because I couldn’t find a Ceramic Disk Type Capacitor of 1uF, so I had to buy a poly capacitor of the same value.

In the board you will also find these additional components:

Led: on the bottom-left corner of the PCB – this is to show the on/off status of the unit.

Rk: is a resistor used to give the proper voltage to the Led. Choose the value you prefer.

Vol. Pot. = 100K – this is just a Volume pot.

I HAVEN’T BUILT AND TESTED THIS PCB YET, SO PLEASE TRIPLE-CHECK THE CONNECTIONS AMONG THE COMPONENTS BEFORE ETCHING YOUR BOARD, IN ORDER TO AVOID TROUBLES AND WASTE OF TIME&MONEY!!!

Hope this helps… have fun Smile

ladislao

wsg.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wsg.zip
 Filesize:  146.53 KB
 Downloaded:  934 Time(s)

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks ladislao, I hopefully someone will confirm soon. I'll get started asap I have some stuff, but maybe not enough to complete the projects.

thanks for your efforts
did you use a scematic/layout program
or just draw it?

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Thanks ladislao, I hopefully someone will confirm soon.

I'm pretty sure that the diagram is correct, but since I haven't tested it yet, I cannot be completely sure... so you'd better wait for someone to get a confimation...

Wild Zebra wrote:
thanks for your efforts

you are welcome!!! Smile

Wild Zebra wrote:
did you use a scematic/layout program or just draw it?

no dedicated software... I've just draw both the PCB and the parts layout with microsoft paint... yes, it was kind of hard Wink

ladislao
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is only one thing that really confuses me. I haven't checked it against the schem and you kind of addressed it. Whats up with all the
"pads" for s1 and s2 there seems to be six for each and two and the
ground(i think thats what it is) and some of the six pads don't even connect to a trace. I'm sure I can try and follow the schem, but what are
the two or four pads and the bottom rail for?

thanks

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*the two pads connected together on the bottom side:
these two pads will receive two pins coming from a metal shield protecting the switch. it is a ground connection and you will not find it in the schem.
I've done this connection just due to the fact that I have this pins coming from the switch. If your switches don't have a ground pin(s), just forget about it and go straight along.

*group of six pads:
the switches I found at my electronics shop were two poles switches (this means that inside the switch you have two separate contacts, with three pins/pads for each contact), for S2 it works just fine because in this way I had the opportunity to interrupt both wires coming from the battery (don't know if it is really useful or not); for S1 a single pole switch would be ok, but as I told you, I couldn't find 'em around so I decided to mount a two pole switch using only one of these two poles. As you can see only the pads on the right side of S1 are used. the other pads are not connected because we don't need them in the circuit. If you have a single pole switch connect it to the two pads on the right side of S1 and you'll be fine...

I hope my english will not confuse you more than you already are Smile

ladislao
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ladislaobiro,

nice one Smile Beat me to it!

Have you sent a copy to Ray Wilson yet?

Tom

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
ladislaobiro,

nice one Smile Beat me to it!

Very Happy

v-un-v wrote:

no, I have not. should I do it?

ladislao
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks that pretty much clears it up. Can't wait to make this little bugger.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ladislaobiro wrote:

v-un-v wrote:

no, I have not. should I do it?

ladislao

Of course you should Smile

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Of course you should Smile

I've sent him an email and told to take a look at this forum, and asked for his opinion about what I've done... Smile

BTW, if someone builds the WSG using my PCB, please post a comment here... just to know if it works or not Wink

thanks

ladislao
adhdboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lorenzo you are the MAN. Thats completely cool. I hope people have fun with it. It really is a simple little starter project for people to goof around with. I haven't walked through your board layout but I trust your building skills.

Nice layout and I like dnny's mp3 too.

Cheers All

ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adhdboy wrote:
Lorenzo you are the MAN. Thats completely cool. I hope people have fun with it. It really is a simple little starter project for people to goof around with. I haven't walked through your board layout but I trust your building skills.

Thanks Ray for your words... Wink
But please, when you have a few minutes to spend on my board, check it out and let me know your opinion, so other people on this forum can etch a board with no risk of mistakes and waste of time/money... Smile
bye
ladislao
Page 1 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: