electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
The Liquid Hihat - NEW VIDEO-Dec.1508
Page 1 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: The Liquid Hihat - NEW VIDEO-Dec.1508
Subject description: The description; schematic and hand drawn PCB layout
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For quite some time I had been wishing for a hi-hat sound in which I were able to change it's pitch as well as other aspects of it's sound. Reading through copies of the old Synapse magazine on a site last year, I found the Voltage Controlled Clock circuit.

It occurred to me that in combining a couple of those circuits with the circuit that produces metallic sounds, found in Ken Stone's Cynare Drum Simulator circuit, I could possibly have, exactly what I wanted.

Here, is the schematic for that:

March 0509 - sorry. I've removed it to give myself BACK more upload space. Sad If you're looking for it, email me and I can send it to you.

The only minor trouble that I have had with this circuit, is the External Input (for Noise or anything else that you'd like to put into it). I should have added an attenuator for this input as well. Neither of my 2 white noise sources in my modular, have their own output attenuators and have amplitudes of 10vpp. They are a fair bit louder than the shimmering effect produced by the Synapse CD4046 VCOs / Ken Stone CD40106 Shimmer combinations.

Outside of that this circuit works wonderfully with an incredibly wide range of sound possibilities.

EDIT: Please note! The following PCB layout is NOT IN REVERSE. This is seen top down as the actual PCB IS layed out. I don't drill through my PCBs. I do everything in Bernie Hutchins' "poor man's surface mount". Wink

March 0509 - removed, to give me back upload space.

If you've any questions just fire them off and I'll answer them to the best of me abilities. Smile

Just in case - the slightly larger full version of the scan is available here:
http://www.damian.deathlehem.com/schematic/TheLiquidHihat-PCB-July1708.jpg

Last edited by Rykhaard on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! With a layout, I will probably build this.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creatorlars wrote:
Awesome! With a layout, I will probably build this.

I'm posting the layout, right now. Smile There're samples from it in the News and / or Design sections of my webpage, as well as the video that I posted recentlly ...... ooog. Somewhere, on here. Sad
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this subforum seems to become a treasure chest? great.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So Rykhaard,
Would you mind if I did an ExpressPCB layout of this one?
It would mean I'd be able to re-post it as a standard (parts and copper on opposite sides) layout. And also that I'd be able to post the .pcb file should anyone want to order boards from ExpressPCB. We'd also be able to put it up as a candidate for a large run to be sold through the EM store.

BTW, what did you lay the schematic out with? If it was the ExpressPCB schematic editor, it would speed up the PCB heaps, as I could link them for net checking etc.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
So Rykhaard,
Would you mind if I did an ExpressPCB layout of this one?
It would mean I'd be able to re-post it as a standard (parts and copper on opposite sides) layout. And also that I'd be able to post the .pcb file should anyone want to order boards from ExpressPCB. We'd also be able to put it up as a candidate for a large run to be sold through the EM store.

BTW, what did you lay the schematic out with? If it was the ExpressPCB schematic editor, it would speed up the PCB heaps, as I could link them for net checking etc.

WHA'??? Shocked Shocked OMFG! Uncle! I would be hugely honoured / appreciative if you did THAT! And if by CHANCE it went through to manufacture, I'd be buying 2, guaranteed, even though I already have the 1 running. The extremely wide range of sound possibilities make it capable of much more than hihat sounds only!

I did the layout with Ray Wilson's software which I decided to start using again. I forgot that ExpressPCB has schematic software! It's free to use isn't it? I could convert BACK to that and do the schematic in it for you, if you'd like??? Just let me know! Smile

Wow. I'm just about blown away by your offering to do THIS, Uncle Krunkus! Shocked Smile Very Happy

Please do clue me in, if my redoing it in ExpressPCB would suit everything fine, and I shall. Smile

EDIT: ExpressPCB downloaded and installed. Smile
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, it's a deal.
You download the ExpressPCB program and start transcribing the schem into that, and I'll start on the .pcb
Give me a few days to get started, as I've just finished winding my new pickup, and I'd like to test it out first.
Once we've got the two of them close to done, we'll see how they link and sort out any discrepancies. I'll do .1" pitch connectors for everything yeah? (on the board you can always put in pins, or just wire directly, I just think it's a good standard to follow) I'll also do the optional power connector like I did on the MPS. (although I realise only 3 people have actually seen that board so far! Rolling Eyes )

Like I said before, I actually find it quite relaxing, so I'm happy to do it. Very Happy

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Okay, it's a deal.

I'm still in shock! Laughing

Quote:

You download the ExpressPCB program and start transcribing the schem into that, and I'll start on the .pcb

Downloaded / installed and I shall start transcribing tomorrow morning whilst awaking!! Very Happy

Quote:

Give me a few days to get started, as I've just finished winding my new pickup, and I'd like to test it out first.

Aww heck Unc! I'm in no rush! Well - at the same time, I AM, but I'm not. Wink I'll start transcribing tomorrow morning. As well, I had been planning on fine tuning my 3 VCOs and 1V/octave sequencer tomorrow as well as testing the LM13600 or 700 for VC of symmetry tomorrow as well. Shall see what I can do. Smile Always takes me at least an hour to wake up though, and that I'll spend with ExpressPCB. Smile

Winding your new ..... duh! Hahahaha. I was thinking TRUCK! Winding? The alternator? Took a moment but finally clicked in. Very Happy

Being a guitarist originally - could you describe to me the results in winding your own pickups?? (I've never wound, but my adoptive dad had endless patience and wound his own motor, many a year ago. And I thought _I_ had patience! Shocked

Quote:

Once we've got the two of them close to done, we'll see how they link and sort out any discrepancies. I'll do .1" pitch connectors for everything yeah?

That is more than agreeable to me. Smile I've been debating going .1 connectors for my own panel interfacing, to try and neating things up further.
(Have gone .156 for all of my power connectors now. Haha. ESPECIALLY how, having 1,000's of Molex connectors free from work. Very Happy )

Quote:

(on the board you can always put in pins, or just wire directly, I just think it's a good standard to follow) I'll also do the optional power connector like I did on the MPS. (although I realise only 3 people have actually seen that board so far! Rolling Eyes )

Drooling over the coming MPS ...... I digress. Wink (Now - what DOES digress mean? Thought it sounded appropriate. Wink lol )
With .1 for pin connectors, I'd likely shift to that as I've been getting used to making all of the pin connections for my power supply connections, anyways. Smile

Quote:

Like I said before, I actually find it quite relaxing, so I'm happy to do it. Very Happy

If I'm not rushing, due to being out of time - my studio / electronics shop is my 'escape' area where I relax wonderfully. Smile Very understandable.

Much-o thankees Unc! Smile Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject:  
Subject description: Here're links to 2 samples of the Liquid Hihat to give a small idea. :)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are 2 very simple samples of the Liquid Hihat being played with standard 8th notes. There's a little bit of modulation in both of them. Nothing radical. I'll make some new samples of the module soon, to give a better idea of some of it's capaibilities in audio. Smile

http://www.damian.deathlehem.com/resources/TheLiquidHihat-1-Oct1707.mp3

http://www.damian.deathlehem.com/resources/TheLiquidHihat-2-Oct1707.mp3

And here's a video that I have up on my webpage that gives more of an idea of some of the sound possibilities from it. Smile

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love a liquid hi-hat too.

I was planning on building a perc synth out of 4 THMPS, but I realized I would be using two of them for the open and closed hi-hats(that's 36 knobs Shocked ) when I could just use this instead Very Happy

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neandrewthal wrote:
I'd love a liquid hi-hat too.

I was planning on building a perc synth out of 4 THMPS, but I realized I would be using two of them for the open and closed hi-hats(that's 36 knobs Shocked ) when I could just use this instead Very Happy

Wink The possibilities of sound variations with this little bugger are huge! Smile Once I start working on a sequence with intent, I'll shoot another video giving examples of how to achieve certain percussive sound types. Smile

That will help presentation of some of it's abilities all the further.

The MPS - are you speaking of Thomas's new one that isn't out yet? I know I'm wanting 2 of them at least. I'm not worried about knob quantity requirements though. Smile I can't wait for it to come out. Shocked Smile
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So ummmm..Rych,
If we got a layout from Uncle K I'll bet there would be group buy possibilities. I'd sure like a couple of those circuits in my kit.

bruce
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

definetely.
i am thinking of an analogue drummachine for a year now. the liquid HH would be in!

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
So ummmm..Rych,
If we got a layout from Uncle K I'll bet there would be group buy possibilities. I'd sure like a couple of those circuits in my kit.

bruce

Durn tootin'! Like I'd said in another thread - (or possibly above in this one - gettin' too old to rem'ber. Wink :lol) - if boards were made professionally, I'd be buying another 2 to go with my 1, for SURE. Having multiple sounds available on call, would be phenominal!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm working on redoing the schematic into ExpressSCH. Smile Almost 1/2 way done then off to Uncle Krunkus. Smile
Even if it didn't go through professionally, if anyone was willing to PnP them, I'd buy a couple from THAT person! Very Happy (If I had a laser printer again, I'd do that myself. Smile )
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
definetely.
i am thinking of an analogue drummachine for a year now. the liquid HH would be in!

Part of my monsterous sequencer engine that is currently under construction (2 x Master Dividers (latest version) just arrived for it, from Ken Stone. Major happy there! Smile ). The whole engine will be a drums controller as well as sequenCERS, controller. Smile

I've been wanting a 'drum machine' in my modular for a long time as well. Come ONNNnnnnnn MPS! Very Happy 2 to 4 Liquid Hihats and 2 to 4 MPSes and I'll be set! Wink (And my Cynare that I have, as well.)
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These so called "Master Dividers" of which you speak, obtainable they are?
Schematic on Ken's page it is?
Shocked

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
These so called "Master Dividers" of which you speak, obtainable they are?
Schematic on Ken's page it is?
Shocked

For some reason, I can't find a direct link to the sub-section for the Master Divider itself - CGS22. from the main modules section - from http://www.cgs.synth.net/

The schematic itself though, I CAN get a direct address for and it is:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/pic/schem_cgs22v2_md.gif

Smile

The top panel in my modular has:
- 2 x Master Dividers V1.0 (7 divide by 2 outputs, each, with Clock inputs)
- 2 x Tom Bugs Pattern Generators (1 of them modified to drive my 4 x 1V/octave rotary switch steps, so that it acts as a 4 step sequencer)
- 3 x Clocks (each driving a single colour of a tri-colour LED)
- 1 x 3 input Summer / Inverter

Ken's new V2.0 Master Divider though, gives you 0º, 90º, 180º and 270º phase outputs from each of 4 division. (Except the 1st one, if I recall correct). This will help me in using 1 of them as a Master Clock. Smile
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,
I've modified Rykhaard's schem to make it a bit easier to layout the PCB, and the layout is well under way. Let me know if anyone would like to check over the new schem.
I'm trying to lay it out as a one sided PCB, so it will be easily transferred for home etching. Man! It's a whole different ball game! I feel like someone swapped the Quickie for the Cryptic on me! Very challenging. I like a bit of a challenge.Very Happy

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Okay,
I've modified Rykhaard's schem to make it a bit easier to layout the PCB, and the layout is well under way. Let me know if anyone would like to check over the new schem.

Send it on over and I can clarify away. Smile
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here it is,
I consolidated the bypass caps to a "power strip" and added a couple of 10uFs/22R to further keep things clean, a bit like Ken/Fonik do.
I added label tabs to all "off board" connections which will make checking the netlist easier.
Then I re-numbered all the designators left->right/top->bottom. This helps with the layout, and with the building.

Updated this schem 3-8-08

LHH-schem-3-8-08.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.44 KB
 Viewed:  1396 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LHH-schem-3-8-08.gif

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great amounts of thankyous for doing the restructuring of the schematic, Uncle Krunkus!! Very Happy

The whole thing looks great! It's provided me with a couple of methods that I hadn't even thought of myself, even though I've seen them done (labelling) in Ray's schematics. I'll be adopting that myself as well! Smile

The only change to be made is the "Range 4" label, on the 2nd CD4046. The Range controls for each of the 2 of them, are for setting the frequency range that each of the VCOs will operate within. Appropriately: Range 1 and Range 2.

Otherwise - excellent! Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I wasn't too sure about how to name the "sections", so I did 1,2,3 for the Oscillators across the top, and 4,5,6 for the ones underneath, and that meant it became the "range" for oscillator 4.
I think I should have left it alone! Rolling Eyes
I'll go back to the way you had it (VC on Oscs 1&2 + 3,4,5,6) and re-post the .gif.
I also forgot to send you the .sch so I'll do that too.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks muchlee again Uncle Krunkus!! Smile No worry in sending the gif directly to me. I can just copy / paste / save from the forum, for it. Smile

Once I'm back and have my G.I.M.P.-S.E. completed, I'll be posting a far larger set of samples of the Liquid Hihat to give all a greater idea of some of it's capabilities. Smile
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey there

this is exciting. PNP of this would be great!

also. what are we going to have to install in addition to this to fix the attenuator issue you speak of? is that really just going to be an opamp BEFORE the input to reduce the volume? (like a mixer or volume control?)

or even just a voltage divider?

thanks

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
hey there

this is exciting. PNP of this would be great!

also. what are we going to have to install in addition to this to fix the attenuator issue you speak of? is that really just going to be an opamp BEFORE the input to reduce the volume? (like a mixer or volume control?)

or even just a voltage divider?

thanks

No worry now! Smile I realized it later and Uncle Krunkus added it in at the balance control opamp. Smile

When it comes about, if you do a PNP of it - would you care to do a 2nd? I'd gladly pay for it. Very Happy
Page 1 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: