electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
S1 Mk2 or Modular, think ive made my decision
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tompty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: S1 Mk2 or Modular, think ive made my decision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heya, well after a long time lurking forums regarding Cwejman synths i had eventually saved up enough money for an S1 Mk2... however everywhere was sold out, bah. And since it looks like another months wait ( and ive already been saving for 5! ) i think im just going to go down the modules route. I had always intended to get cwejman modules after the s1 so im familiar with them.

So im asking for a bit of help here. Can you have a quick look over the modules im getting, and tell me if im missing anything vital ( the only thing i can think of are multiples )

Doepfer G6 Frame, 19" 6HE
Cwejman ADSR-VC2
Cwejman VCO-6
Cwejman VCO-2RM
Doepfer A-190 Midi to CV-interface
Cwejman MX-4S
Cwejman MMF-1
Cwejman Blindplatte 8TE/41mm x however much
Cwejman VCA-4MX

So, ive got my Oscs, ADSR, Filter, Mixer , VCA and Midi to CV converter.
With all this to my knowledge, i could set it up and start playing.

I eventually would be getting the frequency shifter, phaser etc etc

Am i being a bit silly by doing this, should i just wait for the S1?

Need some responses before i order this, im a moment away from clicking confirm!
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I would vote for the S1Mk2, but I am biased and don't own any other Cwejman modules. I will suggest this though: have a good long look at the big photo of the S1Mk2 front panel. There are a bunch of mixers and VCA's hiding there beyond first glance - like the mini-mixer that feeds the PWM for instance and the mixers that feed the filters, etc. Having said that, the discrete modules have a TON of controls and juicy interactivity so there's that too - probably a wash there. BUT, if you ever think you'll be in live or studio situations where you have to quickly dial up a sound on demand then the S1Mk2 would definitely be a solid choice as it really is built as an instrument and it's obviously quite portable. I can dial up bread and butter sounds on mine really fast after working with it for a while. Financially speaking, it would be easier to invest in the S1Mk2 first and add individual modules later than the other way around. Plus the modules you may want to add later might end up being a mix of Euro manufacturers as you play and decide what will compliment your system best. Of course you can do that in any event. Wonderful new Euro stuff coming out all the time like the Livewire AFG for instance. It's a great time for modular that's for sure.
Just my 2 Drachma.

Flip a coin - you can't lose Very Happy

monads

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take heed to the doctors advice Smile

What about the D-LFO? Sure you could use one of the oscillators from the VCO-2RM or VCO-6 as an lfo. But I'm telling you now, you'll miss a dedicated lfo module.

You will need multiples. The Doepfer A-190 Midi/CV module has two CV1 & CV2 outputs. CV1 is used to control pitch. If you want to control the pitch of the VCO-2RM and the VCO-6 at the same time you'll need the multiple. Otherwise you'll only be able to drive one module at a time, maybe use the other in lfo mode?

Also look at the DMF-2 instead of the MMF-1. I know it's only a low pass filter, but one good thing about it is to use the filters independently of each other.

That's the only thing I can think of. If you go with the Cwejman rack you have the multiples built in, but the Doepfer A-190 will likely not fit in the rack case and you'll need something like a Kenton pro solo.

I'd still hold out for an S1 to start out going with Docs advice. Or save more money to buy a few more Cwejman modules Wink
doctorvague

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

more thoughts...
This will probably seem very minor but the glide (portamento) on the S1Mk2 works very well and is 'musical', although IIRC it's tied to the MIDI convertor so does not work with the CV in (not sure though). I've read reports where some of the modules out there for slewing are not up to the task as far as 1V/Oct portamento/keyboard duties. I can speak for sure about the Doepfer slew limiter- mine is totally unusable for portamento. If you ever plan to use this stuff traditionally, i.e. classic synth sounds, a good portamento is a must IMO.

Also the red noise output of the S1Mk2- killer for kick drum sounds for instance. Every noise source I hear sounds different and the red noise on the S1Mk2 is very distinctive. I've never heard anything like it myself. I also have a Blacet Improbability Drive BTW. I tried filtering different noise sources to get a similar effect to the Cwejman red noise and couldn't even come close. I should add a demo to my demo post using the red noise. For a while I had a 31 band graphic EQ in my rack and between the S1Mk2's noise, filters and envelopes and the frequency shaping of the graphic I got some killer electronic drum and percussion sounds. I'm sure Cwejman's parametric could get in the same territory.

I second monads on having a dedicated LFO in your system. Have you considered a mixed system? Some of Doepfer's modules are perfectly fine utility modules, like his 145 LFO, clock divider, VC frequency divider, comparator, sequential switches work well, are inexpensive, don't take much rack space and add a lot of functionality including some functions you won't be able to get out of any Cwejman system - so far anyway. You have to pick and choose though as some are not so great, like the 148 S/H drifts and the slew limiter is near useless IMO.

Personally I started with the S1Mk2. Then got a Blacet rack and a few modules and built some mults and passive attenutors (nice to have). I use Blacet's 2040 mixers constantly for example. And the Miniwave is cool too and not available in Euro or Cwejman. Also the Blacet racks are cheap and new stuff coming out all the time for frac-rack as well as cost-effective DIY if you're so inclined. After the Blacet I started adding some Doepfer stuff starting with a couple of sequencers and the utility modules mentioned above. Worked for me.
Just another .5 drachma.

monads

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
more thoughts...
This will probably seem very minor but the glide (portamento) on the S1Mk2 works very well and is 'musical', although IIRC it's tied to the MIDI convertor so does not work with the CV in (not sure though). I've read reports where some of the modules out there for slewing are not up to the task as far as 1V/Oct portamento/keyboard duties. I can speak for sure about the Doepfer slew limiter- mine is totally unusable for portamento. If you ever plan to use this stuff traditionally, i.e. classic synth sounds, a good portamento is a must IMO.

It is tied to CV5 which is not available as a an input or output. I believe you can program/configure this as an output option using the S1 editor though.

I haven't experimented with the Glide feature on the Cwejman rack yet and various modules. I'll have to play around with it.
tompty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SmileSmile

well im going for a S1 Mk2.
another poster who lives a couple of hours away is selling his.
im very excited about finally getting it after all these months.
but dont worry, ill be getting modules as well Razz

cheers for the help, as soon as i get this bad boy ill get some pics up
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tompty wrote:
SmileSmile

well im going for a S1 Mk2.
another poster who lives a couple of hours away is selling his.
im very excited about finally getting it after all these months.

Congrats!
tompty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lucky right?

Well i have found out the Cwejman for sale is not the mk2 version. Now from previous memory i believe there are hardly any differences between "mk1" and mk2.
Could any one please help me on this?
I have read one thread about someone having a problem with these earlier models, however that didnt seem to common.
tompty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind, im goign to get it anyways Razz
monads

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing I know of are;

S1 - Five selectable oscillator and lfo waveforms
S1mk2 - Seven selectable oscillator and lfo waveforms

S1 - LPF is a low pass filter with selectable 4 or 6 pole operation
S1mk2 - LPF is a low pass filter with same 4 or 6 pole operation and has Band pass mode

anyone know of others? it should be documented. the same goes for documenting the S2. it's not on the website, and you'd never know it existed unless you knew the history.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Jump to: