electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
THis week I have mostly been experimenting with....
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: THis week I have mostly been experimenting with....
Subject description: ...Geekout G2 Synth Chat...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the vain of the Fast Show bloke in the shed :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/jesse.shtml

This week I have mostly been playing with ringmod, (especially when combined with one or both of the original signals) the Comb Filter (to alter the texture and harmonic content of a mixture of oscs) , sequencers with looping delay effects and creating the perfect kick drum (lol, (doesn't exist)).

When i say week i really mean last couple of weeks or so.

What have you mostly been doing with your G2 (or G1 for that matter)?

Apologies for the banal nature of this post but I could do with a few new ideas to play around with. (for next week Laughing )

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

after moving last week, i've rewired one g2 to be a generci mixer (plus additional internal instruments) for a 2nd g2 an xt and a x0xb0x. I don't need no mackie this time around Smile

ok, I am trying to separate the signals in the audio spectrum, so one G2 will do some of this work + provide bread and butter sounds for other sets (and filler patterns when the other g2 is loading more things.
/Dasz
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
after moving last week, i've rewired one g2 to be a generci mixer (plus additional internal instruments) for a 2nd g2 an xt and a x0xb0x. I don't need no mackie this time around Smile

One thing that kind of bugs me about the built in mixers (say the 8 channel one) is that if you make another mixer to create an effects send mixer it obviously is going to be pre-fade...

so..

Have you just built a modular mixer using 1-channel mixers in series (for the main mix and each effect send) and parrallel (for extra channels) to get round this? or just not bothered with effect sends and kept everything as inserts?

dasz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I too use a single channel mixer and a crossfader afterwards to send my signal to the dry mixer and the fx mixer, when I need that kind of control.

at this point though, my focus is improving the dynamics and overlapping frequencies coming from external sources (since these are dynamic and can change as I load new patches into my other G2 or xt, or x0x).

I have not yet done the fx routing, so right now i'm still using the regular mixers. the nice thing about this setup is that I can route my in quad, and/or add some master effects (like a master comp) or other stuff like chopping, etc ... in the master G2.

the other G2 is responsible for playing all other instruments while also playing it's own grooves (essentially a groove box). I have found that putting my sequences in the rs7000 means that I lock myself into a particular set, and I can't evolve past a certain point (nor is the rs7000 material tied to any way to the grooves I load into my 2nd g2, meaning
less unique/tailored material than I'd like.

I figure I'll be using the rs7000 for bread and butter beats, mutes (maybe), samples, and filler material while I load new grooves, but nothing that is specific to a particular groove. Heck, I figure that I could try to avoid using the rs7000 altogether if I put all this functionality into the master mixer / controller g2 (including master clock). but, sigh, I need samples so, time will tell ...

/Dasz
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to learn to write G2 patches that will make it more of a fun toy without a laptop.

By that I mean the following: There are lots of synths, beatboxes, etc. out there that make it easy to create interesting snippets of texture that you can use for jamming or just mucking around. I'm thinking about step sequencers as an example.

There are a number of patches for the G2 that do this as well -- including some in the factory patch set and a number of them in the archive.

But in general these patches are hard for me to understand how to tweak without having a laptop handy -- and if I *do* have a laptop handy, I can do stuff in Ableton Live that is much easier to tweak and often more interesting--at least for jamming purposes.

So I am trying to write a MIDI step-sequencer patch that is easy to use without having a computer available. The idea is to load it into one slot and tell it to send its output to another slot, in which you put whatever patch you want. This is as much a learning exercise as anything else, and also intended to dampen my desire for a Micron or a Radias or something like that.
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you have the g2 keyboard? I use the panel to edit sequences, albeit since they do not have pattern memories so I use patch edit mode and I lay out my sequencers vertically so I can select the pattern by selecting the desired sequencer (up and down keys), or I select different sequencers for different patterns via variations.

My other methods involve stacking sequencers and running sequencers at different speeds and have sequencers trigger other sequencers, in which case I don't have to select different patterns, as the patterns are dynamic.
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
do you have the g2 keyboard?

Yes.
dasz wrote:
I use the panel to edit sequences, albeit since they do not have pattern memories so I use patch edit mode and I lay out my sequencers vertically so I can select the pattern by selecting the desired sequencer (up and down keys), or I select different sequencers for different patterns via variations.

My other methods involve stacking sequencers and running sequencers at different speeds and have sequencers trigger other sequencers, in which case I don't have to select different patterns, as the patterns are dynamic.
Cute ideas.

I guess that as I become more familiar with the G2 I will get more facile at this kind of thing.
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: THis week I have mostly been experimenting with....
Subject description: ...Geekout G2 Synth Chat...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:

What have you mostly been doing with your G2 (or G1 for that matter)?

Overall, I've been trying to follow the hunches I've been having about how to accomplish seemingly impossible things on the G2. The newest PolyGranu design was the latest outgrowth of that. I want to get as much of this done before I move platforms and say goodbye to the G2.

A new field of interest has been pitch tracking. I have some unfinalised protos of the max-gradient-detection-approach (which seems to work well with plucked strings) lying around on my desktop. It's very finicky time-consuming work.

Yeah -and my favourite module top 5:
1) the 2-1 value switch
2) the LevelScaler
3) the 1-channel mixer
4) the compare module
5) the Flipflop (in S-mode)

(...in short: everything you need to build DIY oscillators Laughing)

cheers,
tim
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Top 5 modules, nice.

As Missy Elliot once said "Get your geek on" ...

1. Mixer 2-1 B (for all there level conversion, feedback and integration duties)
2. Mixer 1-1 A (for add along mixing)
3. The Clk Gen (for making it all rhythmical and musical)
4. Sample and Hold (too many uses to mention)
5. Level Multi (for ring mod and combing modulations the fun way)

6. Special note goes to the rough and ready effects (including the 16bit delay), help round out the synth while your still building your patch and make it all a lot more fun.

peterkadar

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got some things in the works that I want to post all at once. It might take a while because I'm gigging like crazy and going back to school as well...
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been using the G2 for strictly processing my external gear lately. My main setup now is one laptop (I use 3 total - I retire them to my music studio) that plays Abelton to a Motu828 that feeds a old Mackie 1604 that has it's aux sends feeding the G2 (4 channels) and my Doepfer (2 channels) the output of the 1604 goes to the rear set of speakers and it's alternate 3/4 outs which activate when you mute a channel, feed a Mackie LM3204 which runs the front channels with most of my MIDI modules. It's alt 3/4 outs feed into the 1604 also. With this setup I can send any audio source to either the front or rear channels directly, or to either the Doepfer or the G2 and the outputs of the Doepfer or G2 can be sent to each other etc etc. I have been using the G2 for auto quad panning, Vocoding (with any tracks from Ableton etc) and it has been very fun. I have a few Abelton sets of just textual sounds (airports, traffic, forest, abstracts etc.) and you can get some very complicated sounds very easily. For me patching Live into the G2 was a big "AH-HA!" moment.
-James

peterkadar

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! that's cool.

In spite of the fact that they're not making the G2 anymore, I think it'll be a while yet before we exhaust its possibilities. I'm greatful for such a great 'synthesizer construction kit' that I can unplug from a computer and take to the gig.

Great idea man!

PK
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
do you have the g2 keyboard? I use the panel to edit sequences, albeit since they do not have pattern memories so I use patch edit mode and I lay out my sequencers vertically so I can select the pattern by selecting the desired sequencer (up and down keys), or I select different sequencers for different patterns via variations.

Daz -
It sounds like you need to get a Mackie Controil C4. They are getting to be actually affordable now (if you consider ~$700US NEW affordable - down from $1400). Then you can have pages of 8x4 rows of knobs at one time. For sequencers it makes it much easier. It takes a while to program up (LOTS of MIDI mapping in the C4 commander program) and it needs the computer to work which is a real drawback unless you carry a laptop to the gig, but after the setup period it is a very cool rig. Your post have always given the impression that a bunch of setup work doesn't bother you much so you should check it out.
-James

fac

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
THis week I have mostly been experimenting with....

... other synths, I'm sorry to say.

Last year I bought a lot of stuff, including Yamaha FS1R, Nord Lead 3, Matrix 6R, Wavestation A/D... and I'm using them as my main sound sources right now.

They're all pretty good sounding, but I realized I made a mistake and bought too many synths with too much overlap. So now I'm in the process of selling all that "new" stuff and aiming for a more reduced and streamlined workflow.

The G2 stays.

dasz

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in the past week, I have been sequencing my blofeld from my g2, improving my dynamics in my g2 mixer ... writing new grooves ... and celebrating my birthday ...

/Dasz
fac

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
... and celebrating my birthday ...

Happy birthday!

dasz

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Smile
iPassenger

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy birthday Dasz.

Been working on a G2 internet collab project (throwing g2 perfs at each other), 2 tracks pretty much in the bag and hopefully more coming.

dasz

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
Happy birthday Dasz.

Been working on a G2 internet collab project (throwing g2 perfs at each other), 2 tracks pretty much in the bag and hopefully more coming.

thanks Ross!

I'm curious about the collab project ... can I hear it? I'm thinking about trying to collaborate this year ....

/Dasz
purusha

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This week I've been mostly panicking about having to write mostly fresh material for a festival mid-July!

Been working with Ableton 8's new loop/beat slicing mechanisms, which are rather nice and do give a fair bit of on-the-fly flexibility for live sets. I usually tend to think that loop slicing is cheating a bit, but if I'm going to get something done quick...

Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This week ive been working on a track with the g2 and Mpc1000. Sequenced Hardcore bassdrums and sounds within the G2 and atmospheres, drums and vocal samples in the mpc1000. I can do this track at any gig, its 190bpm. It took me 1 long night and a couple hours. And i should still improve it further.

Also last couple weeks, (months) made loads of Unison patches for gig use. Many bassdrums. And still trying to further develop hardcore sounds and make a bigger variety.

Then again This week tim made us a pretty good working Polyfonic Unison Patch, wich im trying to get the best out of. 1 Patch with 8 variations is ready with mono velocity added. Unfortunatly no polyfonic velocity is possible. But still fun to just use a mono velocity signal.

Then my module Top5:
1: Nord Filter,
2: Peak Eq,
3: Status Module,
4: In/Out modules
5: Overdrive
Tim Kleinert

G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since making that poly unison building block, I've become more interested in the MIDI side of things, something that I've totally overlooked sofar. There might be some interesting self-referential algorithmic potential in the G2 by letting slots "talk to themselves" (or each other) via MIDI. Gotta ponder things. Smile
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
iPassenger wrote:
Happy birthday Dasz.

thanks Ross!

I'm curious about the collab project ... can I hear it? I'm thinking about trying to collaborate this year ....

/Dasz

Yeah, no worries.

I'll put em up on my virb when they're done. Ones already been mastered and i dont think the other should be far off (maybe a week). I'll pm you when they're up.

dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been experimenting with rectifiers...

Rectifier2.pch2
 Description:
raw rectifier experiment, pretty dirty bass.

Download
 Filename:  Rectifier2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1351 Time(s)

peterkadar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy Belated Dasz!

I just celebrated mine last week...

I've just been editing sounds together for some live shows. Just had one in Gatineau, QC, and the artist I play with has two shows in July opening for Beyonce, so the G2 (or G2x) will definitely be on stage with me then.

Still have some other stuff on the back burner.... instead of patching new things together, I wanted to take some of the emulative synths and start building more patches for them, or copying factory sounds from the old synths into the ones the G2 is emulating. Just regular patch programming, but educational and functional nonetheless...

Hey, does anyone have that old book that has all the DX7 patches in it? I'd love to either a) program a ton of FM stuff for the G2 or b) find these patches, and figure out what's up with this DX7 to G2 converter I've heard about...
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: