electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Binaural Beats in Club Setting?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Binaural Beats in Club Setting? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not the subforum for this, but since it is where my other binaural beats topic is, it will have to do, for now.

I received the below included message via email about using binaural beats in dance music played in clubs.

Answer:

Binaural beats will only work with headphones, or in perhaps some special ambiophonic setup that hasn't be described yet. I think there are two reasons for this.

1) Each ear must be presented with tones differing by some small frequency, like 2 or 4 Hz. There can be no cross talk. PA systems in clubs or even conventional HiFi stereo systems can not do this, even with the material 100% separated in left and right channels. Ambiophonic can cancel the inter aural cross talk, but ambiophonic binaural beats haven't been tested formally.

2) Dance music contains main rhythmic elements that I think will overload the hearing and dominate over any more subtle effects. If the beat is a solid 120 BMP, then that will overload the binaural effect.

The binaural effect we are talking about is when you can coerce the brainwaves to reduce in frequency by listening to binaural beats in headphones. When this happens, it has been observed that there is synchronization between the left and right hemispheres in the brain; similar to what is observed in experienced meditators during meditation.

I do think that using panners that are synced to the BPM of the dance music can certainly enhance the music. I'd suggest using even divisions of the BPM as well. This will provide the listeners with an additional way to perceive the rhythm of the music.

It is surprising to me that most clubs use mono sound systems. It has been told to me that is is because getting a good stereo image in a club room is virtually impossible. Mono just makes it simpler and solves completely any stereo related problems.

But, binaural beats aside, having the music pulsate rhythmically between the two channels can be very effective, even when the listener is not in the sweet spot. Much of the dance music I enjoy takes full advantage of this. The music seems designed for two channels, not necessarily stereo. In this case "stereo" being used to describe a system to set up a 60 degree wide sound stage where the "instruments" can be placed anywhere in the sound stage. In dance music, it seems to me, this is not really the goal. Rather, the objective is to fill the space with pulsating sounds that moves the listener, in as many ways as possible.

So, forget the binaural beats, but focus on two channel.

Quote:
Dear Howard,

this is Andrej writing you from Germany. I read your post on electro music about binaural frequencies.
I really need to ask you this question.
I produce dance music (techno) and I am trying to put binaural frequencies under my tracks for making them sound nicer.
But they will be mostly played on club speaker sytems.
Now is it any good for my music to put the binaural beats to it or is it just a waste of time?

I really hope you can answer me this question and maybe give me a tip!

Thank you very much
Andrej

ps: your Binaural sync is working great on me!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
x_x

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've always wondered what specific regions of the brain does binaural beats affect? All of it or only the right hemisphere where music or sound is processed? I've also wondered if binaural beats affect the amplitude of the brainwaves or only the frequency of the waves?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not able to recall the specific names of the brain, but I've heard it explained by people that can explain it. Maybe someone can chime in here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: